Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,804,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I lived at about 5500 feet in Mexico for a year in my 40's, and I was quite healthy, but the altitude was hard on me. I found I winded easily when taking walks, and I could have one margarita and be on my face LOL. Also, things don't cook the same, like rice and bread, etc. Elevation is not for me. I happily live in a cool place at sea level now.
I took me about a week to adjust to 7,000 feet. The first few days I moved here, I thought I was going to die. After living here for six years, I'm used to it now and at 63, can wander around without any problems. Above 10,000 feet I still get somewhat lightheaded. Above 12,000 feet I take it slow and drink a few gallons of water when I am hiking or camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,328,902 times
I feel healthier at high elevation. If I could move tomorrow it would be somewhere between 7000 and 8500 feet like Chama, Pagosa Springs, Cuchara.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,895,282 times
It's not just overall elevation...above sea level, it's also how quick you rise . Think about it ,say Denver is already a mile high, and no one notices it. That's why 6,000 ft in the east is about as high as you can get, it's not a scientific in description definition but the term is "Prominence", a more common event in the east than in the west. Makes all the difference in the world.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,672,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
... Water must be a primary consideration! ,,, You have to expect power outages, solar failures, or whatever.

Of course, I read that water rights is an extraordinarily regimented matter in the mountains west of the Mississippi River. Maybe you can't even sink a well. I read somewhere on these boards that you can't even have a rain catchment barrel in some places.

I regret to come from a position of such ignorance that I can't come up with more interesting considerations. Water would be my main concern.

...!
I have always lived in / near mtns. Probably an annual power outage (some winters are worse), but never have been an issue (since it is always cold and no need for refrigerator! just set the stuff outside. Longest I was without was 9 days, in last 10 yrs never more than 3, usually only 3 hrs. Of course this varies with location and extent of storm / outage.

Water is No problem in my mtn area (120" of drizzle / yr). Remember that the water table largely follows terrain, so I have never had a well over 450 ft even in high mtns. (sometimes less than 100') C. There are certainly exceptions. Neighbor put in 3 dry holes at 750+ft/, yet I get 50 gpm at 250' and have a strong static head of 175 ft. (lucky me, BROKE him).

Yes, rainwater / run-off is not your resource. Follow the rules or go to jail.

I am planning to build a 20,000 gal underground catchment reservoir dozer my TX properties (40 " rain / yr). Just shipped my dozer from WA to TX today. It wil be there by the time I fly back next week.

High Places... My mom had to leave her nice home at 7500 ft when she was age 78. Just could no longer get enough o2.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 PM

17,139 posts, read 56,834,623 times
One thing I did notice living at roughly 5000' near Denver and in Idaho Falls is that when the sun sets, even on a relatively hot day, it cools off a lot. In Colorado I had a whole-house ventilation fan, would run it overnight, even in the hottest part of summer the house stayed quite cool, I would open up at night then close up in the morning.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 PM

Those of us that live in rural areas, don't think about water so much. Big city and desert areas it's a precious commodity. I had a friend in Atlanta who's water Bill was more than his gas and electric!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:28 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,557,693 times
We have lived at ~5,000 ft elevation on Eagles Nest Mtn above Waynesville, since Sept 2001.
We like the cooler summer temps, the views, the life style & the much less dense housing up in our area.

Winters, (we did 5 yrs full time), are brutal and much longer than in the lower ridges below us, or down 'in town', and we escape to SW FL for the past several winters.

It does take a few days to get 'used to it', esp breathing and leg muscle power, when we return each late April, as does the several flights of stairs in our Mtn home vs the one story FL house.

Could I live there again full time? Yes, but we don't have to, but our Mtn house is home to us.

We all know and respect each other as neighbors, we watch out for each other, and we enjoy our very wooded and sparsely populated mountain community.

5 thou isn't Rockies high, but our mountain and several others that surround our little town, do stick up pretty well for eastern US 'mountains', and while it is North Carolina, the climate is more like the mtns of NH or VT, in my experience.
GL, mD

Couple views from our deck:

Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,246,928 times
Having always lived in the plains with barely a hill in sight I don't know much about elevation. Depending on whether you've spent a lot of time in such locations, I'd say have some long trial periods to see how you adapt physically to the lower oxygen levels and the effect on your stamina. Also, depending on your complexion and rigor in using sunscreen, the differences in radiation level.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Having always lived in the plains with barely a hill in sight I don't know much about elevation. Depending on whether you've spent a lot of time in such locations, I'd say have some long trial periods to see how you adapt physically to the lower oxygen levels and the effect on your stamina. Also, depending on your complexion and rigor in using sunscreen, the differences in radiation level.
Health has everything to do with it., regardless your age. Actually it's getting more active that's. Good from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement