Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,617,588 times

Advertisements

What type of lifestyle choices did you make as part of your plan?

My plan includes down sizing to cut housing costs. I will stay in NJ.
Part time work
Decrease in number of pets- vet bills are expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,850,076 times
My plan involved retaining the same lifestyle I had had for the 34 years of my full-time career. No significant changes. It has worked well for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,758,388 times
I did downsize, and, I over did it. Do not work, although I do buy forclosures, fix them up, and rent them out. Pets? Well, I still have 2 dogs and an inherited cat, when the cat dies, I will be back to two dogs and eventually one. Still have two vehicles, I did get rid of my motor home...one less expense.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,929,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post

Part time work
Life style choices are varied and go in different directions. Discussing some lifestyles can be done with peril in this forum even if just answering your question.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM

755 posts, read 1,114,208 times
I like a big house. And I'm looking forward to a big CLEAN house. So at least initially I don't plan to downsize, as long as we can keep up with the maintenance. When it becomes too much, we'll let it go and downsize to something where we can still entertain our children/grandchildren if they wish to spend time with us (we HOPE!).

I will let most of the critters go, though. Wind down the last set of barn cats, sell the horses. Downsize the dog breeds, most likely, but we're unlikely to ever live without one or two dogs in our home.

Then we will be snowbirds, most likely, and do quite a bit of traveling in early retirement while we can still enjoy it and before our (we HOPE!) grandchildren arrive. We are really hoping to be surrounded by family in retirement, but if not we will have plenty of interests to keep us busy, and we enjoy one another's company.

And I'm hoping to have the time and resources to devote to real estate investments, rehabbing homes. Which I love.

Knock wood. Etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:05 AM

8,890 posts, read 20,279,638 times
Even though I'm retired (SS Early), my wife still works a full-time job, but is of retirement age, we started downsizing a number of years ago (in 2005). Thru Community Garage Sales and sending numerous items to the Goodwill and Salvation Army, we done a descent job in the "getting rid of it" category. My wife was a pretty big "pack rat" back then, but she sure has changed since........with my help, of course.

Have two vehicles and that will continue until she does retire. She hopes to do that when she hits 70. Will get $7k more a year on SS for Late Retirement, as long as her good-to-great health holds out.

Only pet we have is a beta, but later on will be getting a Shih Tzu puppy.

Our full retirement plan doesn't call for living here in northeastern Florida. Could possibly move back to south/metro Denver, CO. Being retired means NOT having to travel in the snow that much. Lived there (south/metro Denver) for 5 1/2 years and loved the area, especially in the summer.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,712,187 times
We didn't have much of a plan. Sh1te happened. DH has a bum hip which coincided nicely at his 62 reitrement in 2011. Two story house and hard winters made it clear we would have to do something as we age and taking care of the place gets harder.

2012 stepdad dies unexpectedly. Mom sells rental and buys a house in FL. We move this summer.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,154,382 times
My lifestyle choices are probably not going to change too much.

I will stay in my house because it's small and while it has a second floor, I don't have to use it if I don't wish to do so. It has a large yard, and I love to garden, so that's a big plus. I have a camp at what was once our family farm that I plan to fix up so that I can stay overnight during the summer.

I'm considering traveling, the big trip would to Italy to see the town where my grandparents originally came from. I have lots of friends and relatives down south that I can visit during the worst of the winter, too. I might consider renting a place for a month in March or April around Myrtle Beach if I can find a house sitter who deals well with my cats.

I also plan to volunteer. I feel that I've been blessed with a solid retirement income and decent health, and that I should give back to my community.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM

755 posts, read 1,114,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
We didn't have much of a plan. Sh1te happened. DH has a bum hip which coincided nicely at his 62 reitrement in 2011. Two story house and hard winters made it clear we would have to do something as we age and taking care of the place gets harder.

2012 stepdad dies unexpectedly. Mom sells rental and buys a house in FL. We move this summer.
Well, this is the truth. All our retirement "plans" are prefaced with "IF all goes as planned." We do have our worst-case scenario plan, and figure that realistically we'll end up somewhere between that doomsday scenario and our "dream" retirement.

Our main project right now is just getting into the mindset of being flexible and taking life as it comes, while maintaining our top priorities which are, for me, 1. Family, and 2. Not being cold anymore. Everything else will be gravy.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM

88,201 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post

Part time work
What will you do with your pets????

I will let my cats live out their lives, and hopefully my daughter will return to the US eventually and take back the last cat she stuck me with, but I won't get more pets that quickly once they are gone.

I bought a condo at 52 with paying a mortgage in retirement in mind. The mortgage people kept pushing for me to buy something more expensive (You have a good salary! You can afford it!) but I knew approximately what I'd be able to afford on my pension, and I stuck to my guns. So, no downsizing necessary.

I will have to work for a while to pay down some debt. Part-time would be nice. I'll stay in New Jersey for now because I have an elderly mother. This winter has felt horrible to me, though, so I might consider a little bit further south someday. Maybe northern Virginia. I have a friend there. However, not having to schlep outside to embark on a 90-minute commute every day might make the winters more bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement