Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 6,310,376 times

Advertisements

Retirement means you escaped from the rat race. Your time is your own. You can get up at 5AM or sleep til noon. It is your choice not someone else s. That doesn't mean that you have not been conditioned by all that went before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,342,375 times
Retirement has been the best era of our lives. I could elaborate and specify but take my word for it... We're living our best years right now. Retired in 2005, 10 years ago and enjoying every one of those years.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,091,505 times
TuborgP, correct me if this is also not what you mean but I read it as your objection to the word retirement is that it still refers back to work and that for some period of time, that described the main constituent of the situation.
But enough time has now passed that you would like a word for your current day to day life that is disassociated with 'work'.
Since I did not have any paid employment for many years I find the word inadequate, although I have to use it for lack of a better one. Retired indicates I retired from a job so, Retired? from what?
Anyway, if this is what you meant, I charge you with coming up with a new word!
Since working and bringing home the bacon is a responsible thing to do, how about your new status is "Irresponsible"

Old 03-08-2015, 06:52 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,937,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
TuborgP, correct me if this is also not what you mean but I read it as your objection to the word retirement is that it still refers back to work and that for some period of time, that described the main constituent of the situation.
But enough time has now passed that you would like a word for your current day to day life that is disassociated with 'work'.
Since I did not have any paid employment for many years I find the word inadequate, although I have to use it for lack of a better one. Retired indicates I retired from a job so, Retired? from what?
Anyway, if this is what you meant, I charge you with coming up with a new word!
Since working and bringing home the bacon is a responsible thing to do, how about your new status is "Irresponsible"
First of all I didn't phrase the thread title or word the OP to convey my real question/statement. Saying is there life after retirement conveyed a different question to most. Some got it and answered they were aspiring writers, artist etc etc etc. After X number of years we have hopefully settled into a life style that ought to be who and what we are. Many are golfers, skiers, artists, bloggers, chess instructors, nursing care assistants (volunteers) etc. Others are independently wealthy, independently affluent, farmers, working the land, recreational buffs, grandparents etc etc etc. We have a life that hopefully is good enough and sufficient to define who and what we now are. I am gearing up for beach bum season and gentlemen of warmer weather and outdoor living (Spring is the time for the yard to burst forth in all its glory). Having a Bermuda grass lawn helps to define things as it is brown until the ground temp hits about 70. Fewer people ask questions dealing with retirement unless they are approaching it themselves and that is becoming a lesser asked question and that is another thread and topic that now is on fire and only the brave should thread there. If we contemplate anything that might involve a significant change in things we tend to put everything in perspective and realize who and what we are. My wife and I just looked at another place and contemplated the what if and realized who we are right now would be changed and said nope, nope nope. It would have meant living in one area full time and while wonderful we couldn't give up the other location and house. Is there another word for my life? Not sure one does it but retirement seems so less relevant now.

Another word is transplant, how long are you a transplant until you become one of the new place? I have been told I am no longer a transplant and am now one of us (North Carolinian), I don't argue with them.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,091,505 times
Ok. For the status of those that don't have a particular defining label they can or want to use but agree that the concept of 'retirement' has a limited lifespan, how about a generic descriptive of ' post-retirement'.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
First of all I didn't phrase the thread title or word the OP to convey my real question/statement. Saying is there life after retirement conveyed a different question to most. Some got it and answered they were aspiring writers, artist etc etc etc. After X number of years we have hopefully settled into a life style that ought to be who and what we are. Many are golfers, skiers, artists, bloggers, chess instructors, nursing care assistants (volunteers) etc. Others are independently wealthy, independently affluent, farmers, working the land, recreational buffs, grandparents etc etc etc. We have a life that hopefully is good enough and sufficient to define who and what we now are. I am gearing up for beach bum season and gentlemen of warmer weather and outdoor living (Spring is the time for the yard to burst forth in all its glory). Having a Bermuda grass lawn helps to define things as it is brown until the ground temp hits about 70. Fewer people ask questions dealing with retirement unless they are approaching it themselves and that is becoming a lesser asked question and that is another thread and topic that now is on fire and only the brave should thread there. If we contemplate anything that might involve a significant change in things we tend to put everything in perspective and realize who and what we are. My wife and I just looked at another place and contemplated the what if and realized who we are right now would be changed and said nope, nope nope. It would have meant living in one area full time and while wonderful we couldn't give up the other location and house. Is there another word for my life? Not sure one does it but retirement seems so less relevant now.

Another word is transplant, how long are you a transplant until you become one of the new place? I have been told I am no longer a transplant and am now one of us (North Carolinian), I don't argue with them.
And some of us are simply and joyously retired meaning we d'unt gotta work no more!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,937,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And some of us are simply and joyously retired meaning we d'unt gotta work no more!
I have always considered you a Gentleman of the Ozarks embracing the values, cultures and lifestyle of the region and living them to the fullest.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:16 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,512,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This is both philosophical and very real at least to me. We have been retired over seven years and I no longer really feel the word retirement is appropriate at this stage. We previously in our lives went through various stages, involving concepts like youth, teens, young adults, middle age and now senior. Likewise we went through various activity stages like Elem, Middle/Junior and Senior High. Some went through the college stage and others went to the work or military stage, Marriage, Child Rearing, etc etc. As we eventually put some time between ourselves and our previous stages did we really consider ourselves in the context of what a previous stage or what and where our life is now. Working and having worked is not part of my identity anymore yet retirement is a definition of having stopped working. At this point Whoope so what! Do house wives retire? The unemployed unable to find work? The disabled unable to work? What about trust fund babies? They define themselves in terms of their current life style. Why not us? I am what my current life is and not what it has been over multiple decades. So does anyone else feel that way?
I haven't read all the replies, but there is a lot of deep thought here. But, quickly, I can see part of your problem, you're defining your life by looking in your past. Could you ever have looked at your life and predict your legacy of the future? I've got a couple of years until retirement and I can't wait! I have my bucket list and I look forward to begining a new phase of my life, even though it may be the final one. Whether or not I have made a lasting contribution, we probably won't know until after I'm gone and my memory is left to be pondered by those who remember me.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 AM

7,292 posts, read 6,879,055 times
I have ton's to do, literally.
There are volumes I want to learn, on my own. I enjoy researching and building things even just as an experiment .
I never went to collage ,but I figure that what I invest in learning things I want, are that investment I didn't waste in school.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,512,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It took me exactly as long as I have been here to become who I am today. I have never been my work. Work is what I did to finance my 'real' life outside of work.
I know this is a little off topic, but you're a great example of the comparison of those who "work to live" vs. those who "live to work". I had always related that to people who looked at work as their job vs. work as their career. Another deep subject. Sorry OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement