Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:40 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,191,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I asked the same question when I retired 6 months ago. Many thought it was of no benefit. I find that I am getting enough discounts (at 55) including meds, movies, hotels, museums, etc which is well worth it itself to me.
You have to be an AARP member to get their Medicare supplemental insurance, which is significantly less than many other plans in the same group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 12:55 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,018,550 times
I do think it's probably worth it. Heck one or two discounts and you've more than made up for the $16.00.
And I can't say I'll NEVER join, but at 54 (55this year):
1) I'm psychologically not ready to join a group that's 'basically' aimed at older folks issues.
2) my mom had it and she was getting BOTH of their magazines, AND a lot of junk mail/solicitations
3) some of their positions, politics, policies AND ENDORSEMENTS I don't agree with. So personally I'd feel like a hypocrite if I joined.

But I know a couple of people who think AARP is the best thing about turning 50.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:56 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,858,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuard View Post
I am 50 and am getting aarp stuff in mail. I checked out motel discounts and some don't give aarp discounts til age 55 and most say up to 10% off. Anybody have any insight for me?
What are your political views?
If you have conservative beliefs you might want to consider how many LIBERAL causes and candidates the AARP supports and gives money to. Things like abortion, gun control and Obama Care etc etc.

It will be a Cold day in Hell before the AARP gets a cent from me.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,383,779 times
K Street scum bags. No way Jose.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,534,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. A coworker of mine was buying the senior citizen price ticket at the kiosk at the movies for years before he even turned 60. He said none of those kids who take your ticket at the entrance to the theater areas was going to stop him and ask him if he was really a senior, and they don't know the difference between a 50-year-old and a 62-year-old anyway.
I find it flattering when I ask for a senior discount and proof is requested.

And yea, I am going to let my AARP membership die. But not my AAA. I love their maps and I've used their towing and tire changing more than once!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:43 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,930,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've gotten senior discounts for years at motels, and never had to show an aarp card, which I actually don't have. I just ask for a senior discount and I get it. Don't waste your money, unless you like them spending your money to lobby for liberal causes.
You comments do not jive with my experiences.

1. When I go to Dunkin' Donuts I get a free donut with my large coffee ... but I have to show my AARP card. Some people in other states have claimed they don't have to show a card, but where I live they ask to see the red card.

2. While many museums, attractions, car rentals, hotels, restaurants have a senior discount policy regardless of what organizations you belong to, some will insist on seeing an AARP card.

... but most importantly:

I really like the monthly magazine, the articles are interesting and very informative. The magazine alone is worth $16 a year. BTW there are plenty of articles written by Republican and/or conservative legislators; the focus is on SENIOR issues not partisan politics. If helping seniors understand their rights and eligibility for services is "a liberal cause" ... so be it.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,655,557 times
I was sad the day I got my first AARP mailing, but overcame the horror of realizing I am getting old, signed up and now we use them and get discounts on a lot of stuff. Def a deal for 16 dollars.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:58 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,655,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
What are your political views?
If you have conservative beliefs you might want to consider how many LIBERAL causes and candidates the AARP supports and gives money to. Things like abortion, gun control and Obama Care etc etc.
I never knew that! Now I feel very good about using them

Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 PM

15,139 posts, read 27,747,332 times
I wish the title could be amended to add AARP

Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM

6,766 posts, read 5,478,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nope, I will NEVER join AARP, because I will not have one penny of mine willingly going to a left liberal leaning organization like AARP.

I get mailings from them all the time. Luckily for me, I walk past my recycling bin when I bring my mail in, so those vile mailings never even pass my threshold! Straight into the bin they go.
But the O.P. never asked about any politcal leanings...I only answered what the OP asked...was it worth $16/year?
Like I said, I thought so, and they could try it-and only be out the $16 if they didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement