Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,117 times

Advertisements

I have been retired for 5 years and currently snowbird to SoFla for the winter.

I now have decided to sell my LI home and relocate to an area somewhere southward but within an hour of a major Metro area that is not too far from NYC and my grandkids in Harrisburg, PA.

My budget is 250k and I imagine myself in a smaller 3 BR/2BA home or condo in a rustic setting near a college town that offers a bit of culture. Since I plan to visit NYC and Harrisburg in the warmer months I would like to be reasonably close to public transportation and am considering areas outside of Philly along a corridor called ‘The Main Line’, which includes towns like Bryn Mawr and Bala Cynwyd.

Can anyone offer me advice re the suitability of these places for my needs or suggest any alternatives that may be equally suitable?

Mod: I am posting in both the retirement and PA forums as I’m not sure what is most appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:23 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
First realize that air travel has become affordable, quick and easy. Most travel time and issues involve ground travel, not air travel. You can easily opt for a distant area with a good airport and convenient connections. Think about a nice climate, low costs, opportunities for elders, and a fun exciting place to live. As far as I am concerned Philly would not be it. Nor would I move to the heat and humidity of the southeastern states.

Monthly heating costs for the Philly area could easily be more than a round trip across the country.

There are lots of search engines. You can enter factors that are important and see what turns up. CD has more than enough information and discussion forums to learn a lot.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
If you want to be near a major city for the public transportation and the availability of good health care, you have two options not far from Harrisburg, the suburbs directly north of Baltimore (a little over an hour away), and the suburbs west of Philadelphia (between 1 1/2 and 2 hours away). The property prices will be pretty much the same, but the real estate taxes will always be lower in Maryland than Pennsylvania. Health care is excellent in both metro areas, while Philly has better public transportation with their regional rail lines.

You may DM me with questions as I am very familiar with both areas.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Why not Delaware? I looked at Dover and some of the beach communities three years ago when I was looking for a place to retire. They have a pretty low COL (except beachfront housing) and a low tax structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement