Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Our family experience with our parents also show that the grandchildren have had a wonderful relationship that has enriched all of their lives.

Our family experience has shown us the value of being close by. Yours may differ. To each their own.
And therein lies the crux of the issue. Your family has been blessed and rewarded with that type of closeness. Unfortunately, not all families have the opportunity for that and quite honestly, I envy those that do.

My wife and I were both military brats. In my case and while a child I lived in five states and two other countries while growing up and never anywhere near my extended family. They were all in New York, the Midwest and New England and we never were. One of my grandfathers died before I was born. The other I saw only twice in my life. My grandmothers I saw only three or four times each; the same for aunts and uncles, cousins, etc.

This did not make for closeness and that lack was amplified by my own military service which sent me to another country and five states as well. Ultimately I was 'rewarded' by being part of an extended family which included a grandfather, two grandmothers, aunts, uncles and cousins compliments of my first wife but sadly, when the marriage ended after 25 years, so did those relationships.

Given that history, living with adult children and many grandchildren spanning four states, seven cities and 3,000 miles is not a hardship but the older I grow the more I wish it otherwise. Family closeness is decidedly not a family tradition or experience and more's the pity.

I hope you realize and truly appreciate just how fortunate you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,618,633 times
I do realize how lucky I have been. I appreciate it every day and plan to pay it back to the best of my ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement