Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:28 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
One "R" strategically placed would change this sentence entirely.
Hahahaha, we think alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:02 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,345,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is moving to another country an option, one that has cheaper medical?
Costa Rica.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,244,797 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M6m9BYco7v8

Old 03-09-2015, 02:21 AM

106,061 posts, read 108,035,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahahaha, we think alike.
my mom isn't going to let me play here if you girls say dirty things lol

Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,314,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my mom isn't going to let me play here if you girls say dirty things lol
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,446,148 times
Retiring early seems to be a mantra until people find out what it is really going to cost. Especialy heath care. AND the "Affordable Care ACt" has only made things worse! It is HARDLY "AFFORDABLE".

We spent 60% of our GROSS INCOME last year on health care ALONE. AND we have 3 income streams.

I am early medically retired, and thusly have Medicare- "FREE HEALTH COVERAGE" They like to call it. I have to PAY for it and PAY for a supplemental insurance and PAY a premium for prescription coverage.THEN the CO-PAYS on the scripts I am SUPPOSED To take are another rediculous amount PER MONTH..In order to reduce the out-of pocket on the scripts this year, I am cutting out vital scripts and "taking my chances" as I/we cannot afford it. I had surgery just now, and will again in the fall if not before...

My spouse works two jobs, and has insurance through one job for MOH {My Other Half} alone. Cost is Premiums, And comes with a HIGH COST deductible out of pocket on top, then comes a 20% copay until another HIGH threashold is reached on top, again OUT OF POCKET. MOH had to have an MRI And had a surgery, and we found out MOH has a bone diseased hip, which will eventully need replacing! Cost for the two of us on a 'family plan'? HALF MOH's GROSS INCOME, for Both jobs, FOR PREMIUM ALONE.

NOW add Dental... a bargain at MOH's work, comparatively, and we get a 60% discount at the CLINIC we are lucky enough to belong to. {any one up to $48K gross a year is eligible and we are below that}. BUT a root canal, two crowns, an extraction, and a repaired partial and other routine and other work added up substantially, but you gotta eat, right? {I have bad teeth, and MOH's are aging as well}.

MOH is planning to work to age 70 if they will have MOH that long, and I am considering trying to go back to work, {to age 70 if I actually can work and someone will actually hire me}, so we will both have "FREE medicare" health insurance {medicare} in about 13 years IF I DO go back, and, in just 9 years if I don't.
At the rate we are going, we will have "free medicare" AND qualify for "free medicaid" by then too, as we will be dead broke!

At this rate, we WON'T BE ABLE TO RETIRE AND afford health care!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM

57 posts, read 63,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
And there you have it. Those cheap rates your union negotiated for you were offset by your insurance company by increasing rates on the rest of us to make up the lost profits. So remember that when you're arguing that someone is getting something you have to pay for. For decades, you were getting something the rest of us were paying for. Welcome to the club. You're no better than anyone else.
You couldn't be more wrong. You have no idea what your yapping about. Our union is self insured with our own money and administrated by a insurance company. You or no else put a penny towards my insurance. I was not a member of the auto workers or other big Union. The reason it is going up is the new law is making us get coverage for things we don't want.

I don't have insurance through the exchanges and never will.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,432,536 times
I'm tellin' ya - the envy of those who don't understand unions is appalling.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:56 AM

14,871 posts, read 12,016,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
And if this poster, or any one of us, has any number of pre-existing conditions such as a bad back, they can forget about having the ability to purchase any form of health care coverage if the ACA is repealed. They will be uninsured and face financial ruin with a serious illness or injury.

Keep that in mind as you continue to show your politics.
Except that this is where state laws could step in.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,432,536 times
And you think states are going to provide that protection?

Have you ever heard of ALEC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement