Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,134,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My mom, at 87, was more computer 'savvy' than I am. But she got a head start via my dad. Back in the early 80s my dad took some kind of computer course and part of the program was building a Commodore 64 computer. My mom learned along with Dad. Even so technology has changed so much that she had to learn new things along the way too. She Skyped regularly with family in Australia. If it weren't for my brother...my computer guru!...I'd have more problems that I do.

I have a 'smart phone'. It's in a drawer. I hate the thing! It does things I don't want it to, won't do things I DO want it to, freezes up regularly and have to remove/replace the battery often and I don't really NEED all the apps on it. Since I use it with Straight Talk I just don't buy time anymore but can if I decide to take a road trip, etc.. I'll be going back to a plain ol' 'dumb' flip phone though. All I need a cell phone for is to make/take calls...period. Don't text, don't need to check Facebook all day long, etc.. I totally understand people who are a 180 from me though and to each their own.
I am more open to technology now and that was not always the case; in fact, when they tried to make me use a mouse at work, I refused and just wanted to do it the old-fashioned way, using the arrows, but once I started to use a mouse (took some time, if you can believe that!) it made a world of difference. I will never be a techno person, but I do enjoy the fun side of technology, just not when things go wrong and then I have a big headache from it all. I am still surprised how older people who did not grow up or have any experience with computers can embrace technology the way they have. Just like your parents, they were born too soon and if they were born a little later they could have been working at startups or Google, Yahoo, etc. I sometimes wonder about which historical figures could have been "Techies" if they were just born a little later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,171,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'll be going back to a plain ol' 'dumb' flip phone though. All I need a cell phone for is to make/take calls...period. Don't text, don't need to check Facebook all day long, etc.. I totally understand people who are a 180 from me though and to each their own.
A friend told me flip phones will be phased out in 2016. I got a new one last fall and hope it will last a while. I don't see any need to be constantly connected to the Internet on a mobile device, esp. being retired and at home more.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I am more open to technology now and that was not always the case; in fact, when they tried to make me use a mouse at work, I refused and just wanted to do it the old-fashioned way, using the arrows, but once I started to use a mouse (took some time, if you can believe that!) it made a world of difference. I will never be a techno person, but I do enjoy the fun side of technology, just not when things go wrong and then I have a big headache from it all. I am still surprised how older people who did not grow up or have any experience with computers can embrace technology the way they have. Just like your parents, they were born too soon and if they were born a little later they could have been working at startups or Google, Yahoo, etc. I sometimes wonder about which historical figures could have been "Techies" if they were just born a little later.
You'd probably blow away anyone under 35 in terms of your speed on a computer. I bet you know the control and function keys / shortcuts very well, having operated in the pre-mouse era.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
You'd probably blow away anyone under 35 in terms of your speed on a computer. I bet you know the control and function keys / shortcuts very well, having operated in the pre-mouse era.
You reminded me of when I was really good with the short cuts and function keys and that I never even had to use a chart, but since accepting the mouse and using it ever since, I have forgotten most of them - I still, at times, can impress those whippersnappers

Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
You reminded me of when I was really good with the short cuts and function keys and that I never even had to use a chart, but since accepting the mouse and using it ever since, I have forgotten most of them - I still, at times, can impress those whippersnappers
On that note, just yesterday I was comparing notes with my 8o-year-old mother regarding the minor fine points of rebuilding / tweaking an older HP desktop in order to avoid having to go buy a new system. She has it completely dialed in. I sometimes fear what will happen when all the old techies are gone.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:04 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,191,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I know some people like this. One woman told me she was afraid to get on the internet because she worried she would be addicted to it. I guess that makes sense, but she watches TV all day so I didn't really see the difference. I told her about Netflix and how you can watch whenever you want without commercials for $8 a month. I got the deer in headlights look too. LOL

They do spend a lot of time on the phone and that would drive me nuts. I would much rather send a quick email or whatever than sit on hold waiting for a customer service rep. When you don't have the internet, bill paying and things like that are a real pain. I am too spoiled now to go back to that. On the other hand, I know people the same age who are on Facebook all day, so I would say embracing technology is more a matter of personal preference than aging.

I agree with the poster who thought the disabled cousin might be going out to do errands as a way to get out of the house and be around people. I am not disabled, but I work from home a lot and I need to get out of the house and go somewhere once in a while too. Sometimes I go to the library on my lunch break. I have a kindle and read online but I also like to read old-fashioned books. You can take them to the pool or the beach and read them in the bright sun.
I imagine if you talk her into trying, she'll never get off Netflix. Just imagine the amount of classic tv you can watch

I do like talking on the phone, but to friends. I HATE having to call someone since their online payment system didn't work and have to listen to that push this for this. And especially if they make it hard to reach a human. Pretty much, if I can pay it or get the info I want quickly online I'm all for it. Of course, noting my number of posts, its kinda clear I spend a lot of time online.

Actually online has vastly expanded the possibilities for those of us who like to hold a good hardback book in our hands. Amazon supports a LOT of used book stores who sell through it or other online sites. A friend of mine has a used book store which keeps in business because such a big amount of sales are online. But you can go online and find those esoteric books you remember which are very hard to locate.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
On that note, just yesterday I was comparing notes with my 8o-year-old mother regarding the minor fine points of rebuilding / tweaking an older HP desktop in order to avoid having to go buy a new system. She has it completely dialed in. I sometimes fear what will happen when all the old techies are gone.
In the tech world, anyone over 30 is considered "elderly" and that is a shame because so many people have so much to offer in the way of experience and knowledge and they don't get a chance to share it just because of a number

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,622,833 times
I'm 68 and most of the folks that I know close to my age do not own a computer and they pay all their bills by mail. I too don't understand why they are not computer savvy. I was required to use a computer and the internet on my job and
some of these folks didn't. Personally I think they don't realize what they are missing out on. The convenience and
the entertainment. Being online saves me a lot of money too by finding deals and coupons. Some folks are afraid
they will get ripped off.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM

26,648 posts, read 28,511,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I'm 68 and most of the folks that I know close to my age do not own a computer and they pay all their bills by mail. I too don't understand why they are not computer savvy. I was required to use a computer and the internet on my job and
some of these folks didn't. Personally I think they don't realize what they are missing out on. The convenience and
the entertainment. Being online saves me a lot of money too by finding deals and coupons. Some folks are afraid
they will get ripped off.
Maybe it's regional but I don't know anyone who isn't on the internet. If you're not connected you're missing a lot--doctors appointment reminders, library notifications, online banking, coupons. Wait--I do know one person. She has had brain surgery so she just can't learn computers. She is in her mid-70s. But she calls me all the time asking me to look things up on the computer. These days I don't see how anyone can get along without it.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,246,928 times
For most folks it isn't a fear of technology but rather not seeing enough value to learn it. I'm only in my 50's and would much rather text than call someone...and rather handle business online than call or in person. I always research purchases online and then make most of them online to get the best price and avoid the hassle of store. I pay 99% of my bills online and use a tablet, laptop, and smartphone in addition to work laptop - I'm probably online or doing SOMETHING on the computer 12 hours a day!

But I really dislike facebook (too competitive and trivial) and I just don't get the excitement/purpose of Twitter, and I have no idea or interest in Pinterest (!) or Instagram. That stuff seems like a major waste of time...so I'm not afraid, just have better things to do. I also never play video games...another waste, to me anyway.

We all make our choices of what to do with our limited time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement