Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,544,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I haven't read this whole thread but I'll cut to the chase. I've never used an e-book reading device and now I want to try it. I wouldn't say I'm fearful, just skeptical that I'll take to it.

've considered a pricey apple ipad, but I really prefer my laptop (MacBook) for internet research and of course I have to have my apps on the larger-screen laptop for designing books etc. Nor do I want a device that stores photos, i have a separate G3 for photos and graphics.

So...just for a reader, I want at least 6" x 9", nonglare screen, and a technology close to reading a real book. Of the dozens of options, I zeroed in on the Kindle PaperWhite. There's other Kindles, so I don't know how to choose.

Anyone have a really strong recommendation after having tried many? Under $200?
The Kindle Paperwhite is the answer. The screen is front lit so the light won't shine into your eyes. I had an original Kindle before and was very happy with it, but the Paperwhite is even better. The user selects the illumination level from zero up. I reecommend the 3g model for convenience. The screen isn't as big as you wish, but don't buy the back lit garbage. Those are for nonreaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
As to technology. I really do not see much fear :I see more having no use for more. Same reason you see computer sells way down. But I hear a lot of people saying and often worried that younger people seem to have little real interaction face to face. Reading on this forum it seems evident.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,923,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite is the answer. The screen is front lit so the light won't shine into your eyes. I had an original Kindle before and was very happy with it, but the Paperwhite is even better. The user selects the illumination level from zero up. I reecommend the 3g model for convenience. The screen isn't as big as you wish, but don't buy the back lit garbage. Those are for nonreaders.
What does 3G mean?

Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My previous kindles had 3g which means you can download books without wi-fi, it is a cellular connection. When I bought the paperwhite I decided to just go with wi-fi because I always have it at home. If I am going to travel I just load up on books before leaving home.

I probably have close to 150 books on it right now and there are tons of free books you can find by subscribing to email lists.

**I highly recommend the Amazon cover. It keeps the dust out, looks good, and provides screen protection.
Oh just saw this, thanks Maggie.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What does 3G mean?
It means third generation. I'm appending a link to a short article that explains it. The article is incorrect, however, in statng that mobile telephones became available in the eighties; they were available in the fifties.

What is 3G? Explained in simple terms

Old 06-11-2015, 07:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
3G is an internet connection built into your Kindle.

There are no monthly charges for it. The cost of the Kindle with 3G is higher but that's a one time cost.

Good if you want to buy books on the fly and are not home.

But you don't need it if you have internet at home.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM

Maggie, HT and HW: thanks!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Let me tell a story about a wonderful 3g experience. I was in town and decided to stop for pancakes. I had my Kindle Paperwhite and had just downloaded a work on pyrotechnics writtten about 1900. It was a most enjoyable book but full of archaic terms, e.g., sugar of lead. I simply highlighted any term that I didn't recognize. The Kindle, not finding it in the dictionary, would offer me an option to go to Wikipedia where I found the old terms; it seemed as good as my Merck Index for that purpose. I did this several times while I was eating.

The restaurant didn't have wi-fi, but that posed no problem. The 3g signal provided me with the necessary connection. I have a reference library at home, but I wasn't home. My reading experience was heightened by that connection. In fact, had I been home with my library, I still would have used it.

Amazon has found it possible to provide the service with a small one-time fee. This is only available on the reading devices, not on pacifiers for the Great Unwashed.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,171,282 times
Is anyone downloading Kindle books from your computer via a USB connection to the Kindle? Is that really slow?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Is anyone downloading Kindle books from your computer via a USB connection to the Kindle? Is that really slow?
I do it all the time because I download free books from sources other than Amazon. It's very quick. Some of the books that I download are in a format that Kindle doesn't like or recognize but there is some software that makes converting the format very easy (and it's free) calibre - E-book management

And here are some free sources for ebooks. I love rereading classics and many of them are free.

25 sources of free public domain books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement