Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 PM

894 posts, read 1,132,185 times

Advertisements

LauraC, thank you for this reminder. We live in Upstate SC(Greenville) and it is the same thing around here. The activities are endless, the majority of them at no cost. We moved here a year ago, and it is a great fit for our limited retirement budget. We love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 05:54 PM

15,111 posts, read 27,588,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
When I first joined CD forum and learned about the 'rep' + rating, I had to wonder why there was no - rating. Some web forums have the thumb up or thumb down choice. It does not happen often here, but I had wished to have the - option to choose a number of time!!! IMO, - rating availability would help to keep some degrees of civility in a 'free for all' public forum especially ones where posters do not have to reveal their true identities.
Glad you got that off your chest.......

Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,353,523 times
Another note about Goodwill (thrift store shopping) As I mentioned in another thread, us woman were born with the shopping gene I sometimes think, shopping can be enjoyable. If you can actually save money shopping at the same time, provided you don't buy useless stuff (or if you do, it is not too expensive) than you have hit two birds with one stone. It can serve two purposes. One is the entertainment factor for a reasonable sum, the second is a need factor at a reasonable sum. Spending $15.00 for one or two hours of entertainment, plus purchasing something useful at a very reduced rate (senior day) can really be a win win situation. I may not have gone in for wrapping paper, but now I have enough for two years for $3.00 bucks instead of $30 at retail !

My experience with thrift shopping is that if I go to find something I need, even if I have seen such an item there a million times before. When I go there specifically for that item, they never have any. However, when I peruse a store, I sometimes see something at a great price that I didn't come shopping for, but still can use, so that is the time to strike. In other words, it's not like going to Macy's or Targets, where your bound to find what you need every time. It's striking while the iron is hot when ever you happen upon something. So, I akin it to more entertainment that can be fun and that often times saves you money in the long run.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,353,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
When I first joined CD forum and learned about the 'rep' + rating, I had to wonder why there was no - rating. Some web forums have the thumb up or thumb down choice. It does not happen often here, but I had wished to have the - option to choose a number of time!!! IMO, - rating availability would help to keep some degrees of civility in a 'free for all' public forum especially ones where posters do not have to reveal their true identities.
I understand the OP point. When there are some truly ugly mean spirited comments, you sometimes wish there could be a thumbs down button to push. So yes, sometimes it could prove useful to discourage that type of posting.

On the other side of the coin, it could be overused unfairly, when people disagree with a poster's point of view, sometimes stemmed from political biases, a thumbs down button may not prove constructive. We all think our views on life are the correct ones, and the other half think theirs are the correct ones. So now everyone has a lot of thumbs down.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,914,800 times
Well, the 'not so nice' post which prompted my comment was removed by the moderator so it is not too bad that there was no thumb down option.

Modhatter is right that the thumb down feature could be subjected to abuse especially in a political or religious forum. Opinion is like a belly button, everybody has one and mine is always better than yours ;-)

I just thought of another comment option is that to add the + and - ratings together for the overall reputation with the minimum being 0. This way if a person who likes to dish out nastiness will just ends up having zero credibility unless he/she reforms and tries to be nice for a change ;-)

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-11-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,134,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I understand the OP point. When there are some truly ugly mean spirited comments, you sometimes wish there could be a thumbs down button to push. So yes, sometimes it could prove useful to discourage that type of posting.

On the other side of the coin, it could be overused unfairly, when people disagree with a poster's point of view, sometimes stemmed from political biases, a thumbs down button may not prove constructive. We all think our views on life are the correct ones, and the other half think theirs are the correct ones. So now everyone has a lot of thumbs down.
When I first joined, we had negative ratings. It made people even more vicious anonymously, so they took it away.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,134,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
That sounds like a really convenient layout for a purse!

I am wondering - have you ever checked out upholstery webbing? Not the color you would want, I am assuming, but . . . there may be other colors out there . . .

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1981475...Xp4hoCAB_w_wcB
I found a place that sells heavier webbing -- that's close to me. YAY no shipping!

I found my YKK zippers on Etsy -- I like those because they are the ones they use on the LeSportsac bags -- the zipper pulls are larger and easier to grasp, and they fall to either side which in my opinion also give the bag some visual interest.

I also bought my fabric on Etsy. My choice was based on color and I thought rip stop was rip stop. It isn't. I would rather have a crisper heavier rip stop nylon, than the slicker silkier one I got. I still really like that for pockets, though....

Thank heavens for Joann's coupons....

Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I love the idea of a thrift store vacation!
If "thrift store" vacation is your kind of fun, watch for "estate sales" in your area. The difference between them and "yardsales" folks have is with the estate issue, these folks decided this stuff was WORTH keeping, not trying to clear out.

My oh my a friend of mine here in San Antonio actually works them and finds ALL kinds of wonderful things that are worth lots in them!!! If nothing else, when retired, it is easy to go and wander around and check them out in your area.

She has bought Tiffany Jewelry, art work and even rare books from these sales. She found one where she was able to buy the exact same kind of cookie jar she remembers from her childhood her grandmother having on her own counter in her home...and it is her PRIZED possession from these sales.

When I asked her "but don't the kids come and clean out the good stuff first" she told me that LOTS of people die with either no kids wanting the stuff, or no close family members at all, so the misconception that the good stuff would be picked out often does not apply!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,705,018 times
Love it, I hope to spend the rest of my life on a thrift store and yard/estate sale vacation, Lord willing......

Old 03-12-2015, 07:18 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,322,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

I agree, I am always amazed when someone starts a thread, let's assume it is then read by possibly hundreds of posters, and then gets highly offended if there is a contrary view posted. What is that all about? What are the odds of everyone agreeing with you? But then it happens allll the time on CD. It seems to surprise so many when someone doesn't agree with their orignal post. Mystery to me. Anyway, back to topic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement