Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times

Advertisements

This Jitterbug looks like its designed with seniors in mind.
Jitterbug5 | Senior Cell Phone with Exclusive Health and Safety Services | GreatCall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
My phone is an old Samsung and I looks a lot like the Jitterbug. It doesn't have the "yes" "no" thing but the buttons and the display window are the same. I have a calendar in the window. There's no camera or apps on it. When my niece came over with her SmartPhone, she was able to use my charger for it so that hasn't changed.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,461,390 times
We bought our dad a cell phone when he was about 80; one with big number buttons so it'd be easier to see.

He misplaced it the first day and it was never found.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM

19,585 posts, read 9,117,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This Jitterbug looks like its designed with seniors in mind.
Jitterbug5 | Senior Cell Phone with Exclusive Health and Safety Services | GreatCall
I have had mine for about four years (I'm 61) and would not trade it for a smartphone for anything. Unlimited calls cost me only about $40.00 a month and that includes replacement insurance! The original sign up fees including the cost of the phone was only about $150.00, if I remember correctly. Plus, whenever I call, I am actually connected to a real, (apparently) native-born English-as-a-first-language person who is POLITE and can actually answer my questions with being asked to push a dozen buttons first! Amazing!!!

Also, when my phone eventually died, they first sent me a new charger, but when that did not fix the problem, they sent me a new phone for a $25.00 charge and automatically credited me for the charger without my even asking them to do so!

Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,343,227 times
My Galaxy 4 calls itself my 'Life Partner' and it is though I have a fine husband. it is my camera (Thinking of selling my $600.00 Olympus) it's my photo album, it's my calendar and of course it's my phone, email, and texting device as well.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have had mine for about four years (I'm 61) and would not trade it for a smartphone for anything. Unlimited calls cost me only about $40.00 a month and that includes replacement insurance! The original sign up fees including the cost of the phone was only about $150.00, if I remember correctly. Plus, whenever I call, I am actually connected to a real, (apparently) native-born English-as-a-first-language person who is POLITE and can actually answer my questions with being asked to push a dozen buttons first! Amazing!!!

Also, when my phone eventually died, they first sent me a new charger, but when that did not fix the problem, they sent me a new phone for a $25.00 charge and automatically credited me for the charger without my even asking them to do so!
Its the phone i'd be looking at if i were wanting a cell phone.Problem i have with cell phones is i'd never use it.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,393,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The battery on my 4-year-old dumb phone

Off to Batteries Plus I go, and yes, they had the battery to keep my dumb phone, hopefully, running another 4 years!
I just "updated" to a 3 or 4 year old phone from my DIL. The last phone that almost survived being run over by a truck and trailer had the battery replaced twice in six years from an online shipper. I did a random search and found a battery for $3.85 including shipping. No paperwork with the shipment, no problem.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 1,918,127 times
The nice thing about the dumb flip cellphone is that the battery lasts for a long time. When my husband temporarily lost his old flip cellphone, I bought him a smartphone but once he got the old one back, he refused to use the new one. Not only that the battery does not last as long but also that he finds no need to use all the fancy features. He also does not want having to learn to program the new phone (He had a graduate degree in computer science and had a career as a programmer/software engineer!).

I has a smartphone mainly as an internet backup when we need to access the web and in a no wifi area. I have to carry a backup battery + wall/car charger everywhere. I totally agree that my husband should keep the old phone. We bought a backup battery for it just in the case the current battery no longer holds charge & hope that it will last a long time.

We only use the cellphones while traveling so we don't need to have unlimited minutes/data. We have been using prepaid PagePlus Cellular minutes. PPC uses the same Verizon network so the coverage is very good (we have never had connection problems even in remote areas in the US and PR). The cost is only $10 for 100 minutes which is good for 120 days (or ~ $2.5/month!). The unused minutes rolled over when we refill before the expiration date so each of our phones now has thousands of minutes!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,266,754 times
My problems with getting a smartphone is paying, not only for the phone, but for the service. I'm at home all the time caring for my nearly-90 mother, so I'm rarely ever away from my computers. So I hardly need computer access on my phone. I pad $36 a month for two dumbish phones (text and camera but no internet access) from Consumer Cellular for a long time. My mother never goes anywhere alone anymore (and she never texted or used the camera on hers a single time), so canceled her phone. And I never used the minutes on mine, so got that reduced, too. I'm down to $15 a month now. But I still pay too much for my in-home internet access considering how slow it sometimes is.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:57 PM

7,486 posts, read 10,449,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The battery on my 4-year-old dumb phone was finally going out, a few weeks ago, so I went to Sprint to buy a new battery. "Sorry, we don't make those anymore! ...Off to Batteries Plus I go, and yes, they had the battery to keep my dumb phone, hopefully, running another 4 years!
You should have bought 2 or 3 of them. If it was hard to find now, imagine in another few years...

I use nothing but an LG flip phone, put out by TracFone. I buy minute cards at Wallyworld. When my original battery got hard to keep charged, I went on ebay and bought 6 new ones. Just to be crazy, I also bought 2 more of the same model phones as the one I have. So now I have 2 new (unactivated) spare phones.

Did you see, a few years back, where they handed some kids a dial phone that we were all using 15-20 years ago, and the kids could NOT figure out how to dial anything on it? You mean, there are phones out there that the kids can't figure out? Yep, the ones we all knew how to dial by age 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement