Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM

19,564 posts, read 9,096,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd be totally clueless as to how to use GPS, and these screens to show you what's in back of your? Oh please! I've never even trusted my rear-view mirror! I still twist my head!

Yes, I got behind the wheel of one of these keyless ignition cars for the first time with that little black box! You should have see the show I put on! Couldn't get it started, marched into the rental office and demanded a less complicated car to rent! And, when I later found out would happen if I lost that black box, and how much it would cost?
Absolutely. I couldn't believe it when I discovered that our new car had no "traditional" key. We've had it for over a year, and I still hate it -- and sometimes it doesn't start the first time, even when the green light is on and everything is set properly! (My husband has the same trouble sometimes, btw, so it's not just me!) I just hope that a car company will take Jitterbug to heart and issue an old-fashioned "senior citizen's car" if it ever gets to that point. (I'm 61, btw.)

Honestly, I am fast getting to the point where, when I see anything I like, buying enough to last for the next 20 years, just so that I don't get any more unpleasant surprises! Maybe it is just "me", but it seems that more and more of the things I have relied on for years (anything from certain brands of food to certain types of clothing) are now disappearing with no advance warning whatsoever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,488,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Sign zeeee paperrrrrs olt maaahhhn! ....

And then, the monthly bill doubles or triples, sorry we don't have a plan like THAT for smart phones. Oh, and forget about rolling all your existing minutes over to the new plan.

Nobody does rollover minutes. It is all unlimited talk and text these days.

When we had two flip phones with ATT we paid $60 a month for 550 roll over minutes, plus $10 for texting. That was three years ago. Now we pay $90 a month for two iPhones, unlimited text and talk with a moderate data plan.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,354,493 times
Every so often I check to see if coverage has expanded in my area. So far it still does not reach my house, but if I were willing to hike down the hill, across the pasture, through 3 gates and ford the creek the map shows I would have reception in the far northeast corner of my property. Maybe.

I spend so little time away from the house that I manage just fine without one at all. The only thing I'd really need one for is if I could go back to driving dog rescue transports, which does require one so that drivers can keep in touch with the coordinator and the other drivers one is meeting up with.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 AM

2,091 posts, read 1,917,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Prepaid let you rollover minutes. We have been rolling over our PagePlus Cellular (Verizon network) minutes for years. We don't use the cellphone much so replenishing 100 minutes at $10 good for 120 days ($2.5/month) works fine for us. Our unused minutes roll over and at any given time, we have several thousands minutes to use.

Smart phone works fine with Pageplus Cellular (I am using a Motorola Droid). If you already have Verizon smart phones, you can switch them to PPC anytime. You can get iphone to work with PPC too. It has been a while since I checked so I don't know whether you can get iphones to work rightaway or need to use some tricks or go through a dealer.

PPC also has unlimited talk and text at much better price than ATT, Verizon etc so if you need unlimited feature, check them out.

PS: Just saw a T-Mobil ad for Data Stash with unused data rolled over to the next month.

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-14-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 PM

23,113 posts, read 28,848,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This makes no sense to me. What black box are you talking about? If you rent a car that's equipped with navigation or rearview camera, you can easily ignore those features.
If you don't like keyless ignition, you're within your right to demand one that requires a key although I don't see the point. What difference does it make if you turn a key or push a button to start the car?
I learned later, with these keyless ignition cars, it's called a Fob. Later, I learned how expensive these devices are. One of my co-worker's friend's dog chewed up her Fob, destroyed it, and it cost $800 to replace it! Big question: What if I had lost it, dropped it into a puddle, while renting that car?

With my 1985 Toyota, I can still go to Home Depot and have a key made for $3-4!

Old 03-15-2015, 11:29 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,714,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Every so often I check to see if coverage has expanded in my area. So far it still does not reach my house, but if I were willing to hike down the hill, across the pasture, through 3 gates and ford the creek the map shows I would have reception in the far northeast corner of my property. Maybe.
LOL Zug; if I hike up the back pasture high enough and there are no leaves on the trees I can get 1 bar of service........or climb on the roof of the barn...

Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 AM

42,752 posts, read 25,982,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Doesn't scream at you and no black box / hidden GPS to allow your insurance company (and who knows who else?) to mess with you.
Your insurance company does not have access to your GPS. Some insurance companies offer discounts based on your driving as measured by a device that they send you to install in your car.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My husband and I use our smartphones extensively, he has an Apple 5s and I have a Samsung Galaxy s4. Most of our friends have similar phones and I have yet to meet anyone our ages who feels challenged by a smartphone (I'm 68, my husband is 71)
You haven't met me. Smarter than me phones annoy me so while we have one for when we travel, I still use a flip-phone with some data capability which permits me to check my emails. As long as I can make and receive calls I'm happy. The rest of the smart phone gets confusing for me with all the apps and other things and my wife hates it. I'm 68 and my wife is 66.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,402,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
What black box are you talking about?
Quote:
Chances are good that if you've bought a car recently, then it has a secret "black box" installed in it. This black box automatically activates whenever you slam on the brakes, swerve uncontrollably or activate a vehicle's airbags.
Know if your car has a black box or Event Data Recorder | One Page | Komando.com

Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,343,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

When we had two flip phones with ATT we paid $60 a month for 550 roll over minutes, plus $10 for texting. That was three years ago. Now we pay $90 a month for two iPhones, unlimited text and talk with a moderate data plan.
I guess I am "nobody" because I do rollover minutes. I have over 3000 of them to date. I pay $26.00 a month for 200 minutes. You can tell how often I use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement