Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM

676 posts, read 932,801 times

Advertisements

I have this in another forum. For you retirees in FL how did you find a suitable family physician. We will be close to Ocala if we can't find one that speaks English. Where did all the English speaking doctors go ????
What about The Villages ? Thank you. My husband needs a Cardiologist, a Nephrologist, and a pain management clinic. Can anyone help ? Thanks

Last edited by tarajane2013; 03-11-2015 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,342,375 times
We originally retired to Vero Beach, FL (now we're in MA) and we found very competent doctors, in some cases better than what we have now in MA. Our first go-around was a failure. I hated my primary care and my cardiologist but I loved my internist so I asked him for recommendations. I told him he was the only doc I liked and could he recommend any colleagues.He was flattered and helpful. I ended up with a great PC who took care of both of us, the PC recommended a really good cardiologist and through neighbors we found the best dentist ever! Doctors have families who get sick and they seek out the best of the best for their care. Just ask.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,972,250 times
Here's how I found my doctors when I moved to central FL. I started looking for a PCP by going to the Medicare website to find doctors in this area who accept new Medicare patients. After all, if the doctor isn't accepting new patients or doesn't accept my insurance, it's not useful to inquire further about that doctor, right?

So from Medicare I had a list of primary care doctors in this area that accept new patients with Medicare, and I narrowed the list down. There were plenty of female doctors on the list, and since I prefer a female doctor, I crossed off the male doctors's names. Then, because of my background, I circled those doctors with Jewish and Italian names. Hey, I'm being honest -- I'm more comfortable with Jews and Italians.

Each of the names I circled, I googled to read reviews. In addition, I looked up each of those doctors on the Florida Dept. of Health licensure website. On the DOH site, you can read where and when the doctor received her medical training, whether or not she is board certified and in what specialization(s), what hospitals she's affiliated with, and whether or not she has had discipline against her license by the Board of Medicine. The website will also tell you if the doctor has been sued for malpractice, although that isn't as telling as Board discipline.

i ended up with a list of three or four doctors, picked the one whose office is closest to my house, called to see how soon she could see me. She was available on a date that worked for me, so I made an appointment.

When I met her, I liked her very much, and during my first appointment with her, I asked her to recommend a dermatologist, an ophthalmologist, and a dentist.

I've been very happy with this PCP as well as the doctors she's referred me to. Even if none of them are Jews or Italians, as far as I know.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 PM

6,597 posts, read 7,271,893 times
It is hard to tell if the doctor is good or not. It is easier to tell if the office staff is good or if scheduling is a problem.
You should be able to find doctors in the Ocala area and you have the Shands hospital in Gainsville as a backup. You will have to ask your neighbors and meet with the doctors.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:43 PM

25,604 posts, read 56,318,456 times
I have a friend who lives in Ocala - 74 y/o. She talks about Shands all the time in a favorable way. Call that hospital and find out who on staff fits the specialities you are looking for.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,739,852 times
When I had my heart attack 27 years ago it was an Asian Doctor who saved my life. My current primary Doctor is Nigerian, and is superb, so don't rule out Physicians from other countries.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement