Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A revocable trust would have avoided probate (and the several thousand to the lawyer to handle that), but to set one up costs $$ and so she probably could not have done that.
You have to put something INTO the Trust. She apparently had nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 03:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
My question is: is next of kin REQUIRED BY LAW -- whether you're named in the will or not -- to handle your estate. Technically next of kin isn't always an immediate family member. It could be someone you don't even know. And it's already been mentioned you CAN decline. But CAN the state MAKE you do it. Could a judge say you can't decline?

SUppose your a beneficiary who'd benefit from the estate, but refuse to administer it. Could the state say fine -- you don't want to do it -- then you get your inheritance when WE get around to it. And probate could take years, so it's "in your best interest to just DO IT?" And how would this even come to the attention of the state/county in the first place.

If you die at a hospital with no contact info -- I'd imagine a hospital staffer is charged with digging up next of kin info. If for no other reason the hospital wants to get paid. SO let's say they find a brother...could that sibling say "oh, they died? oh well, bye"

Like the case of a person being told you have no legal obligation to see that a final tax return is filed. Did he HAVE to do ANY of the things he did, funeral, seeing that the car was sold. For example he told the utility companies turn off the lights, gas, etc. she died. And there's no money she was insolvent.

Landlord gave him a certain amount of time to get her stuff out. COULD he have taken what he wanted out of the apt -- and then told the landlord to go pound sand YOU keep the rest -- BYE! The landlord couldn't bill HIM for it. Once he got a death cert he could have gotten this life insurance benefit - -and washed his hands of the rest. I don't think he HAD to do anything.

I don't think making funeral arrangements for a person makes you LEGALLY obligated to settle their estate, and take care of other things after a person dies.

Last edited by rdflk; 03-12-2015 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 03:54 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Maybe she didn't like her brother

Old 03-12-2015, 05:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You have to put something INTO the Trust. She apparently had nothing.
True!

Old 03-12-2015, 05:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
True!
All my mom had in her trust was the house. It is not the same house anymore. My brother has changed everything about it inside. They will be moving in just about the time I will be moving out! We still haven't seen a copy of the trust and I guess we never will.

He said something about filing taxes this year but I don't know for what. The house? I know he's going to have to pay the deferred property taxes and I have no idea where the money is coming from to do all the remodeling he's done. They've been having a yard sale every weekend but he's putting a high price on all of it. They STILL have a yard/carport/AZ room full of stuff! I could probably use a few things like end tables, etc. but I am NOT paying him a dime for anything so I'm not even going there.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
He said something about filing taxes this year but I don't know for what.
He'll have to file next April also, since the trust is in effect/being closed in 2014.

But that's not your problem

Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
He'll have to file next April also, since the trust is in effect/being closed in 2014.

But that's not your problem
You are so right!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
My question is: is next of kin REQUIRED BY LAW -- whether you're named in the will or not -- to handle your estate. Technically next of kin isn't always an immediate family member. It could be someone you don't even know. And it's already been mentioned you CAN decline. But CAN the state MAKE you do it. Could a judge say you can't decline?

SUppose your a beneficiary who'd benefit from the estate, but refuse to administer it. Could the state say fine -- you don't want to do it -- then you get your inheritance when WE get around to it. And probate could take years, so it's "in your best interest to just DO IT?" And how would this even come to the attention of the state/county in the first place.

If you die at a hospital with no contact info -- I'd imagine a hospital staffer is charged with digging up next of kin info. If for no other reason the hospital wants to get paid. SO let's say they find a brother...could that sibling say "oh, they died? oh well, bye"

Like the case of a person being told you have no legal obligation to see that a final tax return is filed. Did he HAVE to do ANY of the things he did, funeral, seeing that the car was sold. For example he told the utility companies turn off the lights, gas, etc. she died. And there's no money she was insolvent.

Landlord gave him a certain amount of time to get her stuff out. COULD he have taken what he wanted out of the apt -- and then told the landlord to go pound sand YOU keep the rest -- BYE! The landlord couldn't bill HIM for it. Once he got a death cert he could have gotten this life insurance benefit - -and washed his hands of the rest. I don't think he HAD to do anything.

I don't think making funeral arrangements for a person makes you LEGALLY obligated to settle their estate, and take care of other things after a person dies.
No legal obligation to do anything on behalf of a deceased relative unless you are legally the deceased's guardian, or you have willingly assumed a contractual obligation. Possible exception in the case of husband/wife, because there could be joint obligations.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertlaw View Post
So to sum this up not sure how this could have been handled better? When you don't have anything, why do you need a lawyer to draw up a will?
In most cases like you described, you don't need a lawyer to do the will and you also don't need to go through probate. Both my grandmothers died without any significant worth. They left handwritten signed and dated wills specifying who would get their personal possessions and meager cash balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
No legal obligation to do anything on behalf of a deceased relative unless you are legally the deceased's guardian, or you have willingly assumed a contractual obligation. Possible exception in the case of husband/wife, because there could be joint obligations.
There are also some states with filial responsibility laws that hold heirs/family responsible for their parents' medical/caregiving bills. But in no case are they ever responsible for other debts.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
I filed a tax return state and federal for the tax year my mom died. I read it that I needed to, it was fine both were refunds. I was the executor, listed in a will she didn't have witnesses for. It meant my brother and sisters had to sign a form and have it notarized giving their approval. We had no disagreements on any of it so it went very smoothly, the worst part was all the paperwork involved since she hadn't had witnesses sign when she wrote it. She was cremated and had requested no service so the cost was very minimal, under 1000.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement