Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Snowbirding options and experiences
Currenly are or have snowbirded in retirement 5 16.67%
Am planning on snowbirding in retirement 22 73.33%
Own 6 20.00%
Rent 3 10.00%
RV 6 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,165,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
As another poster mentioned, rentals in prime warm weather areas like Southern Florida, and Arizona are very expensive in the winter. I rented my place in Arizona every winter for three months for $2,400. Places in Southern Florida where I lived seemed to start at around $2,800 for a very small condo and on up to even $6,000 a month for anything on the beach.
To be clear; you rented a place in Arizona for 2,400 for a month? (triple that for 3 months). Was this something you rented every year? How far in advance do you need to book these?

What if you wanted to rent for only a month, is that harder to find? More expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,165,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Plenty of ways to do it cheap. I favor a tow behind so when my truck breaks I still have a place to sleep, and I don't have to unhook to go anywhere (motor homes are more expensive to keep running than a truck, and initially more expensive)

Happy to answer any questions I can.
I have heard many people say negative things about tow behinds. Harder/scarier to drive, especially in weather, backing trailers up is tricky, backing up to get them rehooked up is tricky and set up/leveling is a pain in the rear. They do seem cheaper.

I wonder how many people have bought a few cheap inland acre's and set it up for a travel trailer or put in a mobile home? That seems like the cheapest way to go if someone just wanted out of the cold and gray for a few months.
I had wondered if people just stored their rv in the south and fly there, drive around or do whatever, store and fly home? A quick google brings up the issue of mold and sun damage re summer storage but rates don't seem to be over 100 a month, varies by size, and probably whether parking on grass vs. concrete, security etc. that's not too bad.

P.S. This isn't just all about the original poster, hopefully everyone will share, discuss etc.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,215,418 times
I was surprised by the results. I voted that I plan to just because I love to travel and think doing the RV thing is a great way to see the country. I've been travelling a lot for many years, mostly work related. I think I will also enjoy becoming stationary and developing my home base to enjoy.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:02 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,440,644 times
We retired 2 years ago, and moved from RI up to Maine, which we love. Last month (February 2015) we spent 3 weeks down in Tennessee. My wife has family down there, and we were looking to find a way to have a vacation place (not just in winter). It always helps if you have someone who knows the area, but we would have gone anyway, even if we had to do it all ourselves.

We left after making an offer on a small piece of land. The offer was accepted after we had returned to Maine. The land is in a rural area (we don't care for cities, after a lifetime spent in or near them), and it is zoned for a permanent residence, a mobile home, or a modular home. We are thinking mobile or modular. We don't expect to spend more than $40K for the structure, and the land cost us far less than that.

This way, we are free to go down there at any time, as we own it. If it is broken into, there will be nothing of value left there anyway - it is just a small place that we expect to spend perhaps a month at a time to stay at, and accordingly, we kept the costs down. If you really want to be frugal, and you don't mind having a small place (600 to 1,000 sq ft) located in a low-demand area, you can have it. Why spend upwards of $3K a month renting from someone else? This option is cheaper!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:50 AM

375 posts, read 391,903 times
We currently live in CT and are building our retirement home in NH (we still ski and enjoy the snow) and own a RV. I'm retired now and my wife has another two years to go. Our plan is to spend the summers and a portion of the winter in NH (maybe through Jan.), then hit the road until late spring. Whether it be a trailer or drivable RV, they are not difficult to own or operate. We tow a car so once we set up it is like living in a small apartment. For us an RV is too small for full time living, but it is sure fun for a few months at a time. We have had motorhomes for over 10 years now so free to contact me if you have any specific questions (overall expenses/maintenance/drivability/etc). Good luck in whatever way you go.

Lou

Last edited by sailor_lou; 03-14-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,047,991 times
Most snowbirds seem to live in the North and travel to the South in the winter. If I have my way, when I retire I will have a home in the South and travel Northward in the summer.

You can have the advantage of no state income taxes if you home base in FL. You can get a FL resident annual pass at WDW and spend relatively little to go there, if that is something you would like. Your relatives will spend their money to come visit you, instead of the other way around. You can choose to visit them in the summer or visit other parts of the country, while you escape the summer heat.

You don't have to worry about snow build up on your roof while you are away. You don't have to worry about pipes freezing either. You can set your A/C to kick in during the summer while you are gone, if the humidity rises too high, whenever the temperature does not get high enough to run it.

Later on, if you can't travel any more, you won't be in a place where you get stuck because the roads are blocked by snow or ice, keeping you from Drs appointments, or from the grocery store. People do live in FL year round and survive/adapt to the heat. You might not feel like walking too far in the summer heat, but you can take short walks, and the most you might have to do is wipe a little sweat off your face. Beats slipping on ice and going to the hospital.

While prices increase in the summer up North, the price increases in the South, during the winter, seem to be much higher and for a longer period. Up North, the period of price increases seem to be limited to the period the kids are out of school. The longest holiday period when the kids are out of school, other than summer break, is the Christmas/New Years, when the prices in the South really get high. Availability for reservations gets tough as well. Having a home there is much cheaper.

Of course, if one can afford to maintain two homes, and have people in both areas to look after them when you are not there, by all means do it.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,047,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
We currently live in CT and are building our retirement home in NH (we still ski and enjoy the snow) and own a RV. I'm retired now and my wife has another two years to go. Our plan is to spend the summers and a portion of the winter in NH (maybe through Jan.), then hit the road until late spring. Whether it be a trailer or drivable RV, they are not difficult to own or operate. We tow a car so once we set up it is like living in a small apartment. For us an RV is too small for full time living, but it is sure fun for a few months at a time. We have had motorhomes for over 10 years now so free to contact me if you have any specific questions (overall expenses/maintenance/drivability/etc). Good luck in whatever way you go.

Lou
I wonder how the people that are doing that now fared when the polar vortexes this year reached down into the southern states. i imagine the RV parks in S FL were packed. Maybe if Obama gets relations with Cuba going well, we can build a 90 mile bridge for our RV owners. That ought to be inexpensive to overnight with an RV, there.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:49 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,337,067 times
We rent in FL for 2 months. Don't want the cost of 2nd home ownership, don't want to deal with hurricanes, just pack and go.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,597,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
... what is stealth camping? And what do you think about travelling/RVing with a couple of dogs?
in the 'true sense' of the definition: Home | Stealth Camping (undetected living).

for me.. it is where I happen to be and want to spend the night (while RVing). I often use Hospital lots (sometimes covered), or just park on the street near a park (quiet), or near a national historic site (DC / Boston...). or City parks (in rural towns that allow), fairgrounds, Churches, farms, businesses.

I have also stayed within National parks on back roads when campgrounds are full, or often in parking lot of National Park Lodge. (Granted, I have an RV, but at least it is a "SMALL" RV and appears more like a Van, NOT an tall overhead / larger than parking spot vehicle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
...negative things about tow behinds. Harder/scarier to drive, especially in weather, backing trailers up is tricky, backing up to get them rehooked up is tricky and set up/leveling is a pain in the rear. They do seem cheaper. As a 40+ yr CDL (commercial driver) in the western states, I have seen plenty of 'upset' rigs. Usually due to too light of a tow vehicle, and improper use of brakes, or failed tires (over 7 yrs old, but excellent tread). Passing semis' and managing wind gusts on bridges is not for the weak of heart. I would stay away from bumper pull trailer if towing fulltime. 5th Wheel is more stable and EZr to maneuver. After my stint as farmer and driver of 10+ wheels, I am QUITE happy and safe with my Class B style RV! If I were to tow, I would be using a Class 8 toter (semi truck with Condo Sleeper.) They are safe (for drivers and passengers, not so safe for those you might hit, or more likely hit U!) If you have 'found your spot', sure, buy a $3000 bumper tow RV and tow it within your region or leave on a private lot

I wonder how many people have bought a few cheap inland acre's and set it up for a travel trailer or put in a mobile home? That seems like the cheapest way to go if someone just wanted out of the cold and gray for a few months.

Yup, just keep it on a permanent RV spot at one of my rural 'communes-for-shoestring-RV-cottage-retirees'. Probably <$300/ month during 'use' and less for storage. I am not the only one doing this... plenty of my neighbors and friends do as well. (RV sites on their farms / acreages). Do you want to trade a little LABOR for reduced rent? (gardeners / animal husbandry / mechanics / lawn care wanted). I have shops (wood, auto, metal) and NICE gardens / orchards... by 2017 I will have 'shared' community spaces finished (laundry / showers / kitchen / craft rooms).

I had wondered if people just stored their rv in the south and fly there, drive around or do whatever, store and fly home? ...
Yup, 'Covered' parking will be your friend (in any climate). Sun is not good to outdoor materials / seams / tires / PLASTIC trim (AC covers...) . RV's are cheap enough to throw away (you can buy pretty nice ones for $5000).

LUV my class B... I will take it to a region (SW USA) and leave it at airport ($3/day in Tucson) or at a friend's house / farm and fly home for awhile. My RV might be gone from home 3 - 5 yrs, and I fly around to meet it. (I let friends shuttle it if they are headed a direction I want it and they want free wheels (They cover gas).

A fellow Rialta owner stuffed theirs in a 'shipping container' and sent it to Amsterdam. They fly back and forth to Canada and have used it in Europe for 5 yrs. They have a HUGE fluffy dog who flies too. (bigger, but similar to Airedale).

There are some wonderful blogs about 'resourceful RVrs'.

I really like to 'fly / drive' cuz I'm CHEAP... (hate buying gas / maint / tires and LOVE to drive and to fly). Just is SO MUCH ezr to fly. Yesterday flew over Tetons, and was over Estes Park, Colorado (previous home) in 1/2 hr... I have done that SO many time via truck / car / motorcycle / RV. It is NOT a 30 minute drive in March! 580mph at 39,400 ft was pretty ez. I took a nap. MUCH cheaper than fuel! (and 'free' softdrinks and free coolers (of Salmon heading to TX), Mesquite BBQ pork headed westbound (in 2 days)!, Already booked return to TX for Bluebonnets.

Snowbirding: Rent? Own? RV? Come on and join the fun.. U (and I) r not getting any younger. Some things CAN'T wait. (the Saudis are pretty upset about low fuel prices... it will not last)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-14-2015 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 04:41 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,094,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have heard many people say negative things about tow behinds. Harder/scarier to drive, especially in weather, I've driven in bad weather, I wouldn't recommend it if your in a motor home OR towing, but with a proper hitch (stabilizers, trailer breaks etc) it's very doable. Far better to pull off and sit inside, fix a meal at your own kitchen counter, take a nap etc...

backing trailers up is tricky, only if you are in a rush. I follow the GOAL method (get out and look) backing up to get them rehooked up is tricky not really. You just need to learn how to use your side mirrors. On average I "pull up" 2-3x before getting it right, and I'm only talking a few feet. I can go from completely hooked up (electric, water, sewage) to disconnected, stowed, ball hooked up to trailer, stabilizers on, and my 4 stabilizers retracted in 20 minutes flat. Although I should note that ere are many inexpensive rear view cameras available now... I don't see a need. and set up/leveling is a pain in the rear. How? I have several pieces of board and a level on the front of the airstream. When I am 2 feet from where I want it to sit I look at the level and stick a couple boards behind the corresponding wheel. Then I roll back onto them I sometimes (rarely) might have to pull forward a foot and readjust.... Takes very little time and no serious effort. They do seem cheaper.
They are... But to me the big issue is long term costs. (where they are MUCH cheaper.) and resale.... Nice RV's are like luxury cars, very expensive when in good condition and then depreciate rapidly.

I wonder how many people have bought a few cheap inland acre's and set it up for a travel trailer or put in a mobile home? That seems like the cheapest way to go if someone just wanted out of the cold and gray for a few months. Yep
I had wondered if people just stored their rv in the south and fly there, drive around or do whatever, store and fly home? A quick google brings up the issue of mold and sun damage re summer storage Many people perfect the south west where this is not an issue. Otherwise, if hooked up to the grid it's of minimal concern. but rates don't seem to be over 100 a month, varies by size, and probably whether parking on grass vs. concrete, security etc. that's not too bad.

P.S. This isn't just all about the original poster, hopefully everyone will share, discuss etc.
I have known some people with "cheap RV's" after they dump thousands into fixing it up it's nt so cheap.
I buy quality. My airstream is 20 years old is year, if it was some plastic and 2x4 construction it would be in the junk yard or so old that no park would let it in (many parks have age restrictions to keep out trashy trailers/people.

When I call I just tell them I want a space to park my 28' airstream and they never even ask its age!

Now I'm not trying to talk people not an airstream. They DO tow better due to their profile, but they give up "corner space" due to their rounded profile. Others seem much larger to me when I go into them....
But I never worry about my roof leaking, and plan to keep this baby the rest of my life.

If one has never towed, yes, it can be challenging. The good thing s that there are empty parking lots all over, so log as you go slow. And GOAL.... You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement