Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:20 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,940,324 times

Advertisements

I would think the number of post per day could be misleading. The time spent posting is probably a function of typing speed , how long it takes to compose a response v non response and how much time is spent Googling info to provide etc. Also the length of a response. Also how much if any proof reading. A post entered on a computer v phone is probably quicker. Do you read all the previous post or just jump in. Seems like most chat thread posts are short and quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 AM

Does MLB Sirius or NetFlicks on a Tablet/phone count? If newspapers and other reading along with music and any use of the pipeline counts my answer is a lot. I guess sitting on the deck listening to music counts as does sitting on the beach. Great thing is all the multi tasking the internet and mobile enables you to do.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:27 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,854,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I would think the number of post per day could be misleading. The time spent posting is probably a function of typing speed , how long it takes to compose a response v non response and how much time is spent Googling info to provide etc. Also the length of a response. Also how much if any proof reading. A post entered on a computer v phone is probably quicker. Do you read all the previous post or just jump in. Seems like most chat thread posts are short and quick.
I agree with everything you wrote. But still, the poster who has averaged 30 or 31 posts per day for several years is spending A LOT of time on City-Data. Some of my posts consist of a single sentence, while others are carefully thought out and lengthier. Two or three years ago a wrote a little essay in the History Forum about Euro-centrism in our educational system. I was proud of that, as I had spent some time on it.

Quite true that sometimes we may look up something to be sure of our facts; personally I would say I do that perhaps five percent of the time, or less. I do type fairly well, and I've always been glad that I took typing in high school.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:55 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,652,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
thank you. I have been wondering how # of posts here could = time on computer. I read more than I post and delete more of what I write than I post.

I don't think I spend much time on the computer, but I probably look in every hour that I'm home and awake. It is my dictionary and thesaurus now, as well as my source of news and weather. I watch my soap here.

I check my mail and keep up with the children and grands. My neighbor watches tv news and I will often sit down and look up something while we are on the phone. I do what little business I have here, and shop.

I have been tempted to keep a log and see how much time I do spend online since this thread started

Oh! I forgot scrabble.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,011,291 times
Usually around an hour at a time; some days I may use the computer only two times during the day, sometimes one, and some days it may not be booted up at all.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:54 PM

21,450 posts, read 8,648,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Way too much. Probably at least 7-8 hours a day. The laptop stays on my lap even when I'm watching TV. It's a bad habit.
Same here. I even wrecked my thumb from using the trackpad on my laptop all day long. I developed trigger thumb (soreness and a clicking joint) and had to have surgery last month to correct it. The ends of my fingertips get sore from using the wheel on my mouse and from playing solitaire on my smartphone. So I try to take breaks every so often, but I'm embarrassed at how much of my life is spent online or playing games.

My only excuse is that I am married to a sedentary, overweight non-athlete who seldom wants to leave the house and absolutely will not travel, so my lifestyle is pretty limited as a result. The one good thing I do is go to the gym four times a week with a girlfriend. As a result I'm pretty healthy for my age, but I still spend way too much time on the sofa and haven't even come close to getting the all things accomplished, such as home improvements, that I expected to do when I retired.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:58 PM

A reminder there are multiple ways to use new technology. There is data and broadband. When riding in the car while the wife is driving I would be using data via my phone provider. If waiting in a store etc the same. At home broadband. I spend less than hour a day using the traditional computer for the internet. I spend a lot more time accessing, reading, listening the world via tablet and phone. This thread has got me thinking about the mobile highway and how much more I drive that.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:02 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,618,371 times
According to my wife- too much. Oh but I am not retired yet.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 PM

418 posts, read 724,524 times
soooo much. There are a zillion other things I want to do in my life, so this spring I'm going to try to ramp down computer time.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:35 PM

34,899 posts, read 30,997,308 times
I'm not retired, but I'm on the computer for eight hours at work and a minimum of two at home every night. I was a kid in the Windows 95 era and really came of age during Windows XP, so computers weren't as easy to use then as now. It's always been a lifelong interest, hobby, and now career path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement