Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We lived in a townhouse (HOA community) for 13 years before retiring. NEVER AGAIN. The board was run by people who had never owned a home. They were referred to as Nazis. Every plant in a window box had to be approved by the board, holiday lights had to be white and only the door decorated, because they had no idea about keeping money in escrow, we were reassessed several times for a few thousand dollars. A fire broke out from a cigarette of one of the workmen and people lost their homes for over a year. I could go on and on, but this was my experience....
Interestingly, in all the posts I've ever read on C/D from people complaining about their HOA board members, I've never once - - - not once - -- read where the individual said that since they didn't like how the board was run, they decided to volunteer their time and effort to participate on the board in order to make the community a better place to live.

No, it's always, the HOA is run by NAZIs and I'm never going to live in an HOA again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Interestingly, in all the posts I've ever read on C/D from people complaining about their HOA board members, I've never once - - - not once - -- read where the individual said that since they didn't like how the board was run, they decided to volunteer their time and effort to participate on the board in order to make the community a better place to live.

No, it's always, the HOA is run by NAZIs and I'm never going to live in an HOA again.

If more people understood who the Nazis really were, they would not be throwing around the term so loosely.

My wife led a group to toss out the developer who had illegally maintained control of the last HOA we belonged to. At the time 22 out of 28 homeowners were in default on their assessments and in a year, they were able to get everyone up to date on their dues, even through 2008-11.

In thirteen years, there were FOUR people involved in the association. The biggest complainers neither ran for the board nor would they help. They were always "too busy.". However, they were never "too busy" to call me wife at 3 am asking why the drives were not plowed yet or to call my wife at work on some trivial issue.

Right now, we are taking a two year "rest" from HOA work in our new location. However, I did spend about 8 hours reviewing the books and helping the treasurer fix the problems she was having with Quick Books,

Old 03-25-2015, 05:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

I was one of the NEVER AGAIN HOA. I DID volunteer for several committees, attended meetings, researched, etc. EVERYTHING brought before the board was given, "we'll take that under advisement." Other members got tired of beating their heads against the wall and eventually no one volunteered anymore.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I was one of the NEVER AGAIN HOA. I DID volunteer for several committees, attended meetings, researched, etc. EVERYTHING brought before the board was given, "we'll take that under advisement." Other members got tired of beating their heads against the wall and eventually no one volunteered anymore.

so you werent on board. you came up with ideas to give board more work.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
My folks - who owned stand alone homes forever decided to move to a 3000 sq. foot condo - attached only on one side of the house to another after my dad retired. They wanted enough space for when all of us would visit. This was their largest home.

They were there for probably 10-13 years during their late 50's to their late 60's. My mother became involved in the HOA board as Treasurer because she was concerned the money was being mismanaged. And - no one else wanted the job. It was a constant pain in the rear and a thankless job.

In all her life she said she never felt like an owner - more like a renter - than when she lived in that condo.

And after dad died it was hell to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement