Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I wasn't sure whether to ask here or in Shopping...as I suspect these products largely are used by more elderly people....

I want to get one of those gizmos that attach to the overhead shower fixture and usually have a
5 of 6 foot rubbery wand with another shower head at the end for the person to spray exactly where they want... for an elderly relative who's afraid of falling in the shower. We are also getting a wide shower chair for her to sit doing this and hope this all will be helpful.

There's a dizzying array of options out there... it needs to be SIMPLE ... she won't need all sorts of 'spray pressure' choices, etc.

Brick and mortar options most welcome...e.g. Home Depot or Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. Hoping to do this weekend so quick responses appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
walgreenes has one that is lightweight and easy to install. The hose is long enough. Some are not.

I want one to wash the dog but I think I would find it handy myself.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Most come with variable settings but once a setting is chosen it doesn't have to be changed. They can be had for anywhere from $20 to about $50 and they all work basically the same way. Just make sure you also have some Teflon tape to attach them if the kit doesn't come with some. Home Depot will be cheaper than Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Something like this is also a good buy to position the wand within an easy reach: http://www.amazon.com/Shower-Suction...der+wall+mount We use them here at home.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
walgreenes has one that is lightweight and easy to install. The hose is long enough. Some are not.

I want one to wash the dog but I think I would find it handy myself.
Ours (Home Depot stainless steel flexi-hose) isn't long enough to rinse off the dog in the tub. As we twist it this way and that trying to get the at the "underdog" it sprays all over the bloody place. Get one that is LONG.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:06 PM

756 posts, read 836,301 times
I got one for hubby when fighting cancer- white plastic, lightweight, had a small shower head.. in fact, the box showed it for infirm folks etc. and under $20 at Lowes. Great for the first 3 weeks. Then it stopped working and started leaking, what a mess. Piece of junk...

Returned the other and got a regular hand held that can hang down or get hung up, weighs a little more but has nice long hose, good grip and it has lasted. About $40 at Lowes. Never had a problem with it.

Lowes is good about returns too- if you/she doesn't like it, just return it.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
Thanks very much everyone! Appreciate the replies!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
If she has a shower in tub set up, for a shower bench look into getting a transfer bench. It makes getting in and out the shower very safe. It sits half in the tub half out and you just sit on it and slide across. There is a break in the seat for the shower curtain to drop down. I used one when I broke my ankle and it was a god send. My 91 year old mother loves hers too.
Transfer Benches | Walgreens

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Hi,
I wasn't sure whether to ask here or in Shopping...as I suspect these products largely are used by more elderly people....

I want to get one of those gizmos that attach to the overhead shower fixture and usually have a
5 of 6 foot rubbery wand with another shower head at the end for the person to spray exactly where they want... for an elderly relative who's afraid of falling in the shower. We are also getting a wide shower chair for her to sit doing this and hope this all will be helpful.

There's a dizzying array of options out there... it needs to be SIMPLE ... she won't need all sorts of 'spray pressure' choices, etc.

Brick and mortar options most welcome...e.g. Home Depot or Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. Hoping to do this weekend so quick responses appreciated!
Thanks!
I have a bench and a hand held shower plus a wall mount that places the shower on the tiled wall next to me. My then physical therapist helped me install it, the fixture on the tiled wall and showed me how to get in, the apartment complex maintenance man helped me unscrew the old shower head (I couldn't reach it and my PT said it was on too tight for him to remove) and screw in the new one. I still have the electronic receipt copied and pasted:

Drive Medical Plastic Transfer Bench with 3 Position Backrest, Gray
Health and Beauty
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

AquaSense 3 Setting Shower Spray with Ultra-Long Stainless Steel Hose, White
Health and Beauty
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

I think I got the wall mount from Home Depot. You want to make sure the turn off and on gizmo is on the hand held end. Also, if you have a shower lining you need to cut a flap and thread it through the bench seat with the lining fully closed so that the lining stays inside the tub even if the actual curtain is outside. You don't want water on the floor where she might slip.

To use it, she has to be able to sit on the bench, slide over and lift her legs over the side of the tub from a sitting position. Practice it with her dressed.

Last edited by LauraC; 03-21-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Home depot has LONGER HOSES for sale ($20) that will fit any standard handheld shower head. They are usually in a display with other accessories for the shower. I never thought of a handheld shower as something for elderly, I've used one since I had my first apartment almost 40 years ago (jeez that makes me feel old). I wouldn't ever want to live without it. I guess I'm weird that way. I did just find this longer hose because washing the dog with the shorter one was not very fun, requiring a lot of pouring pitchers of water on the dog,... bummer.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
We are looking to remodel bathrooms. While at a plumbing showroom the clerk showed us one from Kohler that was excellent. Everything was metal except the hose, which was flexible rubber that looked like metal. I believe it was around $100.

This might be it.

KOHLER | Awaken®| Showering | Bathroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement