Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

I think Boomers are as varied as their numbers. Sure, some will buy into the targeted products and services, but most of the folks in this group, my DH and myself included, are just plain skeptical of all the junk we're supposed to buy...

Instead, we're living simply, trying to eat wisely, exercising, and doing yoga to keep flexible.

Down-sizing and home gardening are growing trends -- all to the good, I think.

Separating Boomers from their money is the name of the game. Some of us are not playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
My initial reaction to this thread was to wonder why so little is being designed for the needs and interests of us boomers. So I watched the video and it further convinced me that businesses just don't have a hint. The last thing I would want is a treadmill desk. A "wearable fitness device" is supposed to be something designed for a boomer? Come on that is truly ridiculous. There have been plenty of such devices available for years and for only a few dollars. Anyone who thinks using such a device means they are "tech savvy" needs to spend more time trying to understand modern technology because that is a poor example.

So what might qualify as goods and services designed for old people? How about starting with clothing? Shoes are a particular sore spot with me (pun intended). Many of us need wider shoes as we age. It seems virtually impossible to find wider sizes in stores or even online. Actually it is not just wider shoes that are needed but shoes that are sized to fit older people. That would typically mean a wider area for the ball of the foot and not as wide in the heel area.

Anyway shoes are just an example of a major need with no apparent interest from manufacturers.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think Boomers are as varied as their numbers. Sure, some will buy into the targeted products and services, but most of the folks in this group, my DH and myself included, are just plain skeptical of all the junk we're supposed to buy...

Instead, we're living simply, trying to eat wisely, exercising, and doing yoga to keep flexible.

Down-sizing and home gardening are growing trends -- all to the good, I think.

Separating Boomers from their money is the name of the game. Some of us are not playing.
There are those Retired and retiring with financial resources and the decreasing years to enjoy with those resources. The link notes the 7.1 Trillion dollar size of the targeted market.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:19 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Well stated in few words. Gets right to the heart of the matter.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My initial reaction to this thread was to wonder why so little is being designed for the needs and interests of us boomers. So I watched the video and it further convinced me that businesses just don't have a hint. The last thing I would want is a treadmill desk. A "wearable fitness device" is supposed to be something designed for a boomer? Come on that is truly ridiculous. There have been plenty of such devices available for years and for only a few dollars. Anyone who thinks using such a device means they are "tech savvy" needs to spend more time trying to understand modern technology because that is a poor example.

So what might qualify as goods and services designed for old people? How about starting with clothing? Shoes are a particular sore spot with me (pun intended). Many of us need wider shoes as we age. It seems virtually impossible to find wider sizes in stores or even online. Actually it is not just wider shoes that are needed but shoes that are sized to fit older people. That would typically mean a wider area for the ball of the foot and not as wide in the heel area.

Anyway shoes are just an example of a major need with no apparent interest from manufacturers.
Absolutely! You're so right! Don't you wish the designers and manufacturers would convene a focus group of Boomers across all income levels and simply ASK what's missing from the universe that's helpful and necessary? Itmes we would embrace instead of spurn?

(If I get one more offer for hearing tests and hearing aids, I will barf!!)

Shoes, definitely!! Comfort is key, but married with style. (try Clarks, avaiable online in wide widths, I've had some luck with them).

But also other clothing and household items that are appealing, comfortable and useful would be in great demand by our age group.(Eileen Fisher and Cold Creek, Chicos, have recognized our market with good-looking clothes). What about male fashion? Anyone designing for them? My DH lives in kacki shorts and blue jeans and boat shoes and tee shirts most of the year.

Some housing builders are getting it, though. They're designing simple, one level houses with wider doorways, easy to grip handles and easy-to-maintain homes. Smaller yards. And these homes are in big demand in the 1100--1400 sq ft. ranges.

Gosh, if only we were asked, we'd be happy to share what we're looking for...and it's NOT 90% of what's being offered. Which is mostly crap! And expensive crap, to boot!! <grin>

Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 AM

At great risk, perhaps it is time for a thread on income inequality and senior citizens. Yes companies are targeting seniors and doing so based on income and targeting some groups and not all. Same as with any age group.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
At great risk, perhaps it is time for a thread on income inequality and senior citizens. Yes companies are targeting seniors and doing so based on income and targeting some groups and not all. Same as with any age group.
Yes, that would be an interesting topic...but a departure from the focus of this one, IMHO.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The reason is boomers have money and younger generations have debt.
boomers started out in debt too.

that's part of being you and just starting out. Not too many people can actaully pay cash for everything.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, that would be an interesting topic...but a departure from the focus of this one, IMHO.
Technology firms are targeting seniors differently or not at all. The link is about technology, senior life styles and discusses affordability seeming making my comment right on track with the OP link and the PBS video.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/tech-...-golden-years/

Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
... What about male fashion? Anyone designing for them? My DH lives in kacki shorts and blue jeans and boat shoes and tee shirts most of the year.

Some housing builders are getting it, though. They're designing simple, one level houses with wider doorways, easy to grip handles and easy-to-maintain homes. Smaller yards. And these homes are in big demand in the 1100--1400 sq ft. ranges.

Boat shoes are one of my complaints. I cannot find wider sizes anywhere. I do wear mostly khaki pants and tee shirts. I could use some more variety and different choices.

There are no smaller houses being built in my area. Individual houses seem to be bigger and bigger. The smaller choices are condos and apartments. I dislike apartment living. I want a convenient yard of my own and I do not want to hear the neighbors through the walls. I also want a "shop" or other hobby space area. Anyway condos seem to be very expensive for what you get.

When it comes to products for the boomers, it seems businesses have decided we are half blind, half deaf, not tech savvy and fixated on health issues. Maybe instead of starting with preconceived and condescending approaches, businesses should spend some effort finding out what boomers are interested in and how they want to spend their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement