Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

I would think if income isn't low enough for subsidized ACA or high enough to pay unsubsidized then one would want to wait until full retirement age at 66 anyway for full SS; really .I know many like that that need the income difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:30 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
To the Op's statements:
BINGO!

That is why 65 is one hurdle...to get medicare, and working to 70 for higher Social Security benefits,too.
We are in our fifties, and 14 years or so for one of us, the other not to far behind. Not so hard to work another few years, to get medicare and higher SS check!

{unless something serious happens}

Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
keep in mind that there is only a big difference in ss between 62 to 70 if you are going to continue to work while waiting .

the higher amount you get from ss really isn't that much when you figure in the checks you didn't get by waiting if you retire earlier . in fact it can actually be a worse deal once you figure in drawing down your own investments to support yourself while waiting.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 AM

76 posts, read 108,524 times
Health Insurance is a huge problem in this country, luckily I will retire where there is socialized health care and government mandated cost limits. That factor is missing in this country so back when the insurance lobby arranged to receive premiums from everyone possible, whether they are working or not, everyone hit the jackpot except those who are on the paying side. They even gave it a warm & fuzzy label, calling it obamacare.

Let's see retirees: the antiquated notion we learned from our previous generation of working, saving, get the gold watch then retire carefree and happy until you go to the old folks home to live out your days is history. Health care costs (especially prescription medicines and unnecessary testing) are out of control in this country, therefore as we age and incur medical costs we can live until the money runs out, then we can die because society no longer cares about it's elders, we're too expensive to keep around. Insurers like it better if we don't cost them a cent.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:13 AM

we are retiring now , just me going on cobra since i will be going on 63 , my wife on medicare and a medigap plan and our long term care insurance will be about 17k for the upcoming year. basically her entire pension will be going for health care cost. if i am lucky after tax costs may come down to 14-15k since we get 1600 bucks tax credit from nys for our long term care policy . the rest should get us a small amount back on federal as itemized deductions. .

Old 03-27-2015, 09:30 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting 9 View Post
They even gave it a warm & fuzzy label, calling it obamacare.
The term "Obamacare" was never meant to be warm and fuzzy. It's generally used by those who are against the Affordable Care Act.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:43 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
The term "Obamacare" was never meant to be warm and fuzzy. It's generally used by those who are against the Affordable Care Act.
It's because "Affordable" is laughable

Old 03-27-2015, 03:49 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting 9 View Post
Health Insurance is a huge problem in this country, luckily I will retire where there is socialized health care and government mandated cost limits. That factor is missing in this country so back when the insurance lobby arranged to receive premiums from everyone possible, whether they are working or not, everyone hit the jackpot except those who are on the paying side. They even gave it a warm & fuzzy label, calling it obamacare.

Let's see retirees: the antiquated notion we learned from our previous generation of working, saving, get the gold watch then retire carefree and happy until you go to the old folks home to live out your days is history. Health care costs (especially prescription medicines and unnecessary testing) are out of control in this country, therefore as we age and incur medical costs we can live until the money runs out, then we can die because society no longer cares about it's elders, we're too expensive to keep around. Insurers like it better if we don't cost them a cent.
No, we do not "incur medical costs" as we age. Are you not familiar with Medicare? I have been on it for six years now, and the co-pays associated with my Medicare Advantage Plan have been so negligible as to amount to nothing, in practical terms.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:25 PM

medical takes in alot more than just co-pays. we went through tens of thousands in dentist. many don't want or can't use an advantage plan and premiums on medigap plans have been going higher and higher.

a plan f in our area is 3100 each plus medicare. location plays a big part

Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
^^^^^ With my Medicare Advantage Plan it would be literally impossible to incur $8000 in out of pocket costs in a single year. In fact, I don't really know how someone would reach the $3,000 level. There must be some really crappy plans out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement