Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:51 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Eh, move down here to Florida.......if you have one eye, can crawl to your car, and have every disease and ailment known to man, you are good to go and can drive all over the place !

I was in the DMV one time, renewing, and there was this frail old man renewing his. He was trying to pass the eye test, and he kept calling off wrong letters. The clerk would say "No, try that line again." and he would say another letter. It was obvious the guy couldn't see his hand in front of his face. A little while later I saw him standing in front of the camera, getting his picture taken, and they handed him his brand new license !

Another time I was in a FedEx store and an old lady came in and she was very confused. She said "They told me to come here !" When the clerk tried to get more information, all she could mutter was "I don't know who they were but they told me to come here !" After a while she shuffled back out the door and got into her car and slowly drove off ! I waited a while before leaving so she had a good head start on me !

Yep, blind, crippled, or crazy, you can drive here in Florida with NO PROBLEM.

Don
This made me lol!

I renewed mine online. They sent me my new one in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 10:21 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've thought about this since I'm over twenty miles from town. However, Walmart is near my end of town and there are very few cops out in the middle of the night. I'd set up a corporation to buy car insurance and plates so I wouldn't need to produce a driver's license.
That makes no sense ... why would the fact that you would be using a supposed "company car" mean you wouldn't have to have a LICENSE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's not going to help you if you kill somebody because you weren't supposed to be driving.
That, too.

But back to the OP ... many congrats to you on improving your health in so many ways. I hope you can get your sugar numbers under control.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
aca changed the rules. Don't truthfully answer every question a care giver asks as it goes on permanent record; that was the intent.
A nurse recently asked if i had access to handguns and/or thoughts of harming myself or others. My mind quickly kicked in and said "no".

Be wary.
nonsense.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Linda you say this but did you pick up on THE FACT that nthis is in Canada? Are you well versed on Canada???????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This is not true. There is no vast central health information database, but many smaller ones. Almost all labs now electronically transmit test results directly to the doctor/hospital who requested them. In order for a third party, like a potential insurer, to view those records, on line or via paper, you still have to give them written permission. Copies of the requested records are then transferred to the insurer from your doctor, usually electronically.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:27 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At 67 the DMV wants a full run down of my diabetic condition, while the numbers are higher than normal they dont fluctuate much so i guess its somewhat controlled, With 5-7 being normal my blood sugar runs in the 10-12 range
My doctor will fill out the forms they want on Monday i hope whatever he reports allays their concerns that i'm not a danger to drive.A revocation of my drivers license at this point in my life would be devastating as my normal daily routine would end and i;d be relegated to a very sedentary life.
Any one else had to deal with a revocation of their drivers license ? how did you adapt?
You're talking about Hgb A1C, not blood sugar. Hgb A1Cc is a reflection of your blood sugars over the past three months. Your Hgb A1c is very elevated, which indicates that your diabetes is way out of control.

I suggest that you take a serious look at how you are managing your diabetes. The DMV is worried that you're not safe to drive, but if I were you, I'd also be worried about heart, kidney, eye, and nerve damage.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i was diagnosed as being diabetic over a year ago. so far through strict diet and lots of exercise i am back down to pre diabetic levels with an a1c of 6.00. no meds at this point .

sometimes i think life would be so much easier with meds , at least i could cheat. but i have very little slack in my eating plan trying to stay off meds and the running 3 miles every other day has me feeling like one of those hamsters on a wheel.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Just for clarification,The a1c number is not what i'm referring to, Blood Glucose meters here in Canada use a different scale than they use in the USA whereby 4-6 would be considered the ideal level,
The two measuring systems side by side=

My Meter reads like this- (I wish)

Last edited by jambo101; 03-28-2015 at 04:59 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Update.
Doctor gave me a positive report and said the day may come when i'll have to give up driving but that day is a long way off at the moment..

Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Update.
Doctor gave me a positive report and said the day may come when i'll have to give up driving but that day is a long way off at the moment..
Congrats - but consider this a wake-up call. The day WILL eventually come when you should no longer be driving. Thinking about how you'll manage that transition and doing some planning now, while you still can drive, will make it easier to adapt when you finally do have to hang up your car keys for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement