Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

At 67 the DMV wants a full run down of my diabetic condition, while the numbers are higher than normal they dont fluctuate much so i guess its somewhat controlled, With 5-7 being normal my blood sugar runs in the 10-12 range
My doctor will fill out the forms they want on Monday i hope whatever he reports allays their concerns that i'm not a danger to drive.A revocation of my drivers license at this point in my life would be devastating as my normal daily routine would end and i;d be relegated to a very sedentary life.
Any one else had to deal with a revocation of their drivers license ? how did you adapt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:07 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
what state is this ? is that you a1c numbers ? on medication they are that high?

Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I am curious as to how/why the DMV even is aware of the situation? Except in some cases (usually strokes) where it is prescribed by law, they usually don't get medical records and the like unless there have been some accidents.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:23 AM

would you believe every blood test and medical procedure is logged in a central data base ? i was shocked to find when we applied for a long term care policy they saw the results of my last 4 blood tests right on line. i knew somethings were stored but not every little thing like routine blood work results.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:34 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I knew everything is online now but I didn't know the DMV could access that info withour consent.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 AM

who knows what we agree to when we accept a license. insurers do not need your permission to access credit reports or are even stopped by credit freezes .

we agree to give them access when we apply for insurance. few states don't allow this. three states i think don't allow the insurers to use credit scores and access your reports without your consent .. perhaps we agree to allow medical and background reports to be accessed by agreement just by haing a license.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Little more info. I live in Quebec, the blood test gauge is different from USA measurements 5-7 being a normal range.
This whole issue started after i had cataract surgery and i being honest i informed the DMV of this fact,the ensuing form requiring the eye surgeons ok for me to drive had a questionaire of other medical maladies that needed to be checked off , i dutifully checked the box saying do you have diabetes.Then a week or so later i get the form requiring a full diabetic exam.
To date my driving record is spotless,no accidents and no moving violation tickets in the past 10 years.I am very confident in my driving abilities. And while my Blood sugar levels are somewhat high i dont believe they are anywhere near a risk for hyperglycemia .
Just about every one i know in my age bracket has diabetes and drives,they arent being called upon to have diabetic evaluations.
I'm starting to regret saying anything about my cataract surgery or admitting i have diabetes.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-26-2015 at 04:24 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
would you believe every blood test and medical procedure is logged in a central data base ? i was shocked to find when we applied for a long term care policy they saw the results of my last 4 blood tests right on line. i knew somethings were stored but not every little thing like routine blood work results.
This is not true. There is no vast central health information database, but many smaller ones. Almost all labs now electronically transmit test results directly to the doctor/hospital who requested them. In order for a third party, like a potential insurer, to view those records, on line or via paper, you still have to give them written permission. Copies of the requested records are then transferred to the insurer from your doctor, usually electronically.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 AM

that is correct there are multiple data bases that store this stuff. I am just talking collectively.

any insurance claim you file has you agreeing to share that info where legal.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Eh, move down here to Florida.......if you have one eye, can crawl to your car, and have every disease and ailment known to man, you are good to go and can drive all over the place !

I was in the DMV one time, renewing, and there was this frail old man renewing his. He was trying to pass the eye test, and he kept calling off wrong letters. The clerk would say "No, try that line again." and he would say another letter. It was obvious the guy couldn't see his hand in front of his face. A little while later I saw him standing in front of the camera, getting his picture taken, and they handed him his brand new license !

Another time I was in a FedEx store and an old lady came in and she was very confused. She said "They told me to come here !" When the clerk tried to get more information, all she could mutter was "I don't know who they were but they told me to come here !" After a while she shuffled back out the door and got into her car and slowly drove off ! I waited a while before leaving so she had a good head start on me !

Yep, blind, crippled, or crazy, you can drive here in Florida with NO PROBLEM.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement