Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best, most afffordable small city to retire to....
Boise ID 6 6.12%
Spokane WA 6 6.12%
Roanoke VA 10 10.20%
Ocala FL 11 11.22%
Fayettville AR 10 10.20%
Sebring FL 4 4.08%
Charleston WV 1 1.02%
Athens OH 3 3.06%
Asheville NC 18 18.37%
Branson MO 2 2.04%
Rapid City SD 6 6.12%
Greenville SC 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times

Advertisements

My vote: None of the above.

For openers I want to live on the coast in a climate where palm trees grow and the cost of living/housing is affordable on my income.

A small community near a mid-size city has worked for us in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
I'd say you are going to need to saddle up and eyeball the best prospects for yourself.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
I reckon so, was just hoping to hear from others that may have lived or live in the places up on the poll, or who may have some interesting suggestions. I spent some time in Clearwater many moons ago, it was nice, but that was long before the population explosion that has occurred around Tampa, St Pete, Palm Harbor, and etc.....I don't think I would enjoy that much of a crowded cluster of human beings crunched into one small land area, like Pinellas or Hillsborough county. Hence my reason for considering Ocala, and also because one can find some acreage there too, and it is still not overly populated, as the rest of FL. I recall enjoying myself some years ago, hanging out in Clearwater a few times. I remember some locations and places there from back then. Homeowners insurance has got to be brutal there though, I imagine, if one were looking to purchase a home.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I've gained a new perspective on this type of question. IMHO, its smarter to live where you want, and then down size to smaller, more affordable housing to make the expense budget fit the income and assets side of the ledger. We kept looking for the ideal place, COL, taxes, activities, medical concerns and never could make anything fit. Once I hit on the smaller housing solution, the whole equation got easier. Fact is, most of us have too much stuff we rarely or never use, and don't need near the space we have.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Hi there, looking for a smallish, pretty city, or large town, to retire to. I would be looking to live on the outskirts of any of these locations, in the more rural, outlying areas, in the country side. I would love to remain out here in the PNW, but it is simply too expensive. I am looking to use my VA home loan and get into a nice house on some acreage. Hard to accomplish that with a budget of 240k and under, anywhere in the PNW. Including Spokane. Boise is one of my fav places, and I could get plenty of house there, but would not get the acreage with it, in my price range. I am single, a young retiree, and here are some places I been considering. I put the places in a poll for folks to vote on. I am looking for a place with low utility bills, and a lower cost of living. Please see poll to vote and any comments are welcome. I did put down Boise and Spokane, but finding a home on some acreage in both those towns, would be challenging. But I listed them down nonetheless. Thanks for your help.

I forget to add Lexington KY to my poll......any comments are welcome..thanks again.
Lexington, Ky and environs no longer has the same large town/small city feel. We lived in Kentucky both Louisville and Lexington for 17 years. It now has a "crowded" feel.

I would actually recommend Idaho Falls which we would have chosen as our retirement home if not for our one son and his family living near the Denver area. But costwise, facility wise, recreation options, nearness to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, adequate, if not superior health care availability, all combine with a terrific cost of living to make it very appealing to us. And relatively NO traffic compared to Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis, Denver, and Dallas where we spent the majority of our working years.

Just my take, but I know what it is like to be conflicted. I'm not sorry for living close to my only grandchild, but I sometimes yearn for the relative quiet of Southeastern Idaho.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 PM

Well I was looking more outside of Lexington, like Berea, or Danville and etc....as for Idaho Falls, it was very high on my list, they even have a shuttle bus called the salt lake express I think....that runs down to SLC a few times a day, so one can get to the airport in SLC. Trouble with Idaho Falls, is...one thing, too me, the very long, and very cold winters and wind that goes along with it, from what I read. It just seems to me, that when I get on the Idaho Falls thread, people will not hide the fact that the winters are long and hard there. But it does seems like Idaho Falls, is one of the few clean, growing, non-overly populated areas of the USA, that has low crime, and beautiful nature nearby, and jobs for those who need work, think there is some huge laboratory there that employs a lot of people from all over. Yes I have considered Idaho Falls many times, but the long winters stop me. I have only really considered Colorado Springs and Grand Junction in CO....but have not considered them that deeply. I looked more at Boise, Idaho Falls, and Rapid City...in regard to western cities and places. Been to Denver, didn't care for it all that much. Plus it is expensive as heck, and too dang crowded.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-26-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM

It is a bewildering challenge, though, trying to pick a place. I have read good and bad about Roanoke, some one saying it is the countries best kept secret, then another saying it is gritty, and industrial looking, kind of run down, is the impression I got from reading. Though I never been to that side of VA, so I have no clue.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM

297 posts, read 358,759 times
Greenville, SC area. Look at Easley ,Liberty, Pickens, Travelers rest, Simpsonville or Taylors. All small towns, with a comfty feel to them, full of decent folks and low crime and all with in 15 to 30 mins of down town Greenville. Lots of hiking and outdoors stuff. New VA hospital nearby. Lots of good eats around. TONS of gorgeous scenery. Tons of affordable homes, lots of farmers markets and food isnt too pricey. Electricity is pretty cheap as are the property taxes.
Just avoid south side of Greenville.

We are currently buying more properties in this area and there are tons of handyman specials under 40k OR lots of financeable homes (3/2 around 1800 Sqft) for under 150k all day. We bought three fixer uppers for under 100k. All over 1500Sqft all had over an acre of property.

Also, if you pick this area, I can get you in touch with a fantastic realtor who grew up in the area who is married to retired army and really knows her VA (loan) stuff.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM

Ok, yes, my mother has been to Greenville with a friend and they liked what they saw. Seems like an interesting place where a lot of people are moving to, maybe even more so then Asheville NC. Better for veterans in SC I think too. I don't think I read much great stuff about Spartanburg though, from what I recall. Which is close to Greenville. I will keep Greenville in mind though, and continue to research it. Seems like people are loving on Greenville a lot.......

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-26-2015 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'd go smaller than what you have listed. Don't think of the cities you listed as "smallish". If I were looking for what you are, I'd hunt for a place about 10-20 miles away from a city of about 50,000 population.

For example, instead of Spokane, I'd look at Chaney, (which usually ranks pretty high on desirable retirement locations). (I realize that Spokane is a lot larger than 50K, but you get the idea.)
Precisely. In fact 30,000 is perfect. So as another example, instead of Roanoke look at the adjacent town of Salem. Access to the city is easy and you get all the amenities of small-town life. Salem has an award-winning college with a lovely campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement