Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

I'm Gen X and I don't want the stuff that my retired parents have collected, either.

Looking at the low prices similar collectibles are fetching from other sellers on eBay, it seems like almost nobody outside the family will want it, either.

This is why I readily accept that my millenial kids won't want the stuff that my wife and I have collected. They're following our example!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:40 PM

725 posts, read 805,370 times
It's not just that they don't want it but that stuff isn't worth much anymore, if it even was at one point. I would blame ebay for this most of all of this. Because of ebay there is so much supply that made it onto the marketplace, prices were driven down. Over the last 50 years people realized to keep some items because they would become collectable. Problem is if every one does it they are not collectable.

Nowadays after the crisis, there is less focus on traditional house Goodall more focus on lifestyle and experiences whether it's startbucks or skydiving. Sure jewelry and coach or lv bags will sell but things like Lennox bone china or Hummel figurines don't attract that much interest. Even coins, unless they are in great shape and certified aren't worth that much more than their metal content.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
I understand this. My dear Uncle passed away in 1998 and his wife, my aunt, in 2000. They were 41 and 34 years older than me, respectively, and their stuff was mostly antiques from the era when they were young. But I was not interested in it. I did not know how to value the things. Since i was the successor trustee I had to divest their possessions in order to give the beneficiaries their shares. I sold stuff to their neighbors. Some of the "antiques" were worthless gambles. Others were probably very valuable. I have one of the original radios of the early 1900s. Anyway I learned from them. I decided to buy precious metals bullion over the years. The metal content is easily valued.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
It's not just that they don't want it but that stuff isn't worth much anymore, if it even was at one point. I would blame ebay for this most of all of this. Because of ebay there is so much supply that made it onto the marketplace, prices were driven down. Over the last 50 years people realized to keep some items because they would become collectable. Problem is if every one does it they are not collectable.

Nowadays after the crisis, there is less focus on traditional house Goodall more focus on lifestyle and experiences whether it's startbucks or skydiving. Sure jewelry and coach or lv bags will sell but things like Lennox bone china or Hummel figurines don't attract that much interest. Even coins, unless they are in great shape and certified aren't worth that much more than their metal content.
For small and readily shippable items, I'd agree with you. Is the market for something bulky like an antique pipe organ affected by eBay? No, because the item is prohibitively expensive to transport.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:44 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Millennials grew up in a "disposable" culture, where they're always used to having "new". Heck, most of 'em refuse to even repair anything anymore! Besides, aren't we also moving into an era where everything is becoming 'artisanal', 'unique' and infinitely "personalized"? So why would they want our old stuff, that's just "yesterday's news"… and by today's standards, probably seems so common and 'mass-produced' anyway?

Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
My husband's mom just moved into a senior living apartment and is looking to get rid of a lot of the stuff from her house. To me, so much of it is junk! She wants to drag half of it to her tiny apartment, but we are trying to talk her out of it. One reason we thought the move was so nice is that it isn't so overwhelming with crap! I mean, she isn't a hoarder or anything, and everything is "neatly" stacked and stored, but it's still an overwhelming mess!

Old dishes, old linens, old ornaments, etc. etc. etc. Most of it isn't "cool" old, it's like...1980s old, and it's basically useless. She was asking us to help go through all of her "stuff" -- three huge bedrooms full, plus a storage building and multiple closets, cabinets, etc. -- and I told my hubs...."She doesn't want me to go through all of that stuff! 80% of it is going in the garbage!"

He got a little nostalgic and mentioned selling it all at a yard sale or something. Like I told him...nobody wants all this old junk!

Guess I wasn't too far off the mark...

Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile As your children get older....

That may change.

I remember many a time when my own mother pulled out the photo albums (usually in front of a potential boyfriend) - ugh! I just was not interested.

However, now, my parents are gone and I find I cherish their things more than I did.

My own children still have their rooms set up at our home (with some stuff in it) but that's OK for now.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Had to laugh, but when growning up and told to "clean our rooms out good" my 2 sisters and I would gather our junk we wanted to get rid of in the hallway between our rooms and then go thru each others "rejects" and the majority of the stuff just moved from one room to another as a "find" for the new owner...guess we had that "oh, this is something worth keeping" traits even as kids...and yes, I am 60 so have seen our millennial kids not really want what we were ready to part with when downsizing.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:11 AM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
I'm a millennial, and I think this article hits the nail on the head. My wife and I have both lost grandparents in the last couple of years, and the keepsakes we were interested in were things we could use. I value my grandfather's shotgun or the set of deep sockets I inherited from my wife's grandfather. These things are useful, so I can justify having a place for them, and they do sort of inspire some reminiscing when I use them. To me, that is far preferable to some piece of stuff that will sit on a shelf and never get picked up -- or even looked at.

I do value photographs, but I'm likely to scan them and put the originals in a box somewhere.

I think this sort of divesting from junk is a good trend.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:49 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Not many millenials have the space...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement