Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:29 AM

106,250 posts, read 108,257,613 times

Advertisements

we are going with a united american high deductable f plan for under 100 a month.

se spent our time researching that already . we are pretty healthy and i am on no meds and marilyn just lipitor.

we don't have many companies offering a high deductable f in nyc so our choices were limited.

it is just the mechanics of what we have to do next that we are piecing together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 AM

426 posts, read 504,960 times
Default Part D etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thanks so much , that answers all our questions on a and b.

do we just do part d on our own or do they send us something too ?
Part D is up to you. You need to research the plans for the meds you are taking (on a web site) and decide how comprehensive you need it to be, and at what cost. There is an open enrollment where you can change plans every year, so some people, if healthy, and not on many meds take a less expensive plan and then switch later in life (even 20 years later) to a plan with better coverage. But, of course there is always risk.

Be prepared- your mailbox around age 65 is going to be flooded for months with literature about Supplemental Medicare Plans- with or without drug coverage. Talk about headaches! You have decisions about if you want to go with a "Part C" type plan- which is a managed care plan, with a network of doctors/hospitals/providers that you must seek your care through. Traditional Medicare allows choice of doctors (assuming they accept Medicare). People love or hate their Part C providers. I used to see Part C as an issue to be concerned about during my working years at SSA- when claimant signed up based on a pitch the insurance company made to people at their church, community forums etc. and didn't stress the need for staying in network. So, if you fall and break a hip (a common example) and then need to go to a rehab place for recuperation, physical therapy, etc. the Part C choices may be very limited.

I used to advise people looking for a Medicare Supplement plan to concentrate on having the deductible paid for inpatient hospital and skilled nursing facilities along with the 20% copay for doctors. I generally advised against a plan that also picked up the deductible for Part B. It is low enough that the uptick in premium did not make it worthwhile.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 AM

106,250 posts, read 108,257,613 times
just researched part d and it looks like we will go with united american for both a high deductable f plan and marilyns part d coverage.

i am still a baby and have 2-1/2 more years to medicare so it is cobra for me.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,213,693 times
Good thread, mind-boggling at the moment, trying to factor all this information. It is certainly appreciated that knowledgable people have contributed some very good info. It means I need to get busy learning this stuff in a sense of clarity.

Thank you to all the contributors. Now, it is forcing me to summon the mindset to read and digest this information while I still have time to consider my options. at close to 61 it is definitely time to get the perspective in check.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM

238 posts, read 616,436 times
There is so much to absorb. But I think we're going to pull the trigger on ss this fall when I turn 62, DH will be 63. I'll have to learn more in terms of which one should file first, etc spousal benefits and what the file and suspend and the other alternatives mean to us. It gives me a headache. Just what I wanted to hear - at 65 yo I'll be faced with other gut-wrenching (Medicare) decisions! I'm soo thankful for this forum.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,121,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margarets1 View Post
There is so much to absorb. But I think we're going to pull the trigger on ss this fall when I turn 62, DH will be 63. I'll have to learn more in terms of which one should file first, etc spousal benefits and what the file and suspend and the other alternatives mean to us. It gives me a headache. Just what I wanted to hear - at 65 yo I'll be faced with other gut-wrenching (Medicare) decisions! I'm soo thankful for this forum.
If you both file when you turn 62, you cannot file and suspend, and you will be applying for all benefits you are entitled to, your own and any spousal if that is more than your own.

You only get those choices when you wait till FRA to file.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Thanks arwenmatk. DH will be 63 this fall, I'll hit 62 and eligible this fall. So DH can apply now (already 62) and I can apply when I turn 62? DH was higher earner so higher SS and he doesn't want to wait until he turns 63. He wants to start [b]now[b] (his parents essentially passed before becoming eligible to collect early). So under this scenario, I can get my own and his spousal when I file at 62?

Another ??: Does the additional ss spousal support go the other way too? Suppose I pass first, and although my ss is lower, will he get my ss spousal share? I'm curious if our 'monthly income' will remain the same no matter who passes first, I guess is my question. Thank you very much

Last edited by margarets1; 03-30-2015 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Manners

Old 03-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Tell your husband margarets1 that if he wants his SS now, he should do his claim by tomorrow on the internet(or at least call 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment- and that will protect his filing date) because if he waits until Wednesday, he lost out on another month- March.
You can only collect on his as his spouse, if when you are 62, your full is less than one-half of his full amount.

As a survivor (widow or widower) it depends on the age of the survivor. A widow or widower, past full retirement age goes to 100% of what their deceased spouse was receiving or 71.5% of the deceased's full amount if that is greater.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM

You may be thinking what is the big deal if I wait until Wednesday, April, instead of March. Well, if my friend, who I worked the comps for- her reduced retirement with March was $1937.00. If she waits until April, it will be 5/9 of 1% more, so approximately a gain of $10.00. For the $10.00 gain, she gave up $1937.00. Divide the gain into the loss, and it takes a person 193 months or 16 years to make up the $1937.00.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 PM

@ilovemycat - thank you sooo much! DH will take care of it in the morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement