Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My Ex was a true music lover and he despised the yuppies who would frequent Tanglewood because it was "the place to be'"
We love music and have gone to many of the BSO's performance at Tanglewood. Yes, there are quite a few of yuppie snobs there. One time, while waiting in line with our little girl to buy the tickets while toting blankets and picnic basket, one of them sneered at us "Oh, you are one of the lawn people"!

Quote:
To me a yuppie is a status climbing phony who is driven to posses things so that he can show off, goes places so that he can brag and feel smug and superior. They're not bad to live next to, just annoying. They will look down on you for anything.
We must have done our yuppies neighbors great service by making them feeling superior while living in Belmont/Cambridge area in MA. I had mentioned in another post that the woman across the street mowed her lawn in skirt, stockings and high heels. Another time, another yuppy sneered at my husband's purchase of a Freixenet bottle at a well-known Brookline wine store. "I'd never touch that stuff!!".

Another problem I have with the 'bad' yuppies is their smug, entitled attitude. One time, while waiting for a bus at Porter square (near MIT), a well dress young man parked his bright red convertible Porsche in the non-parking zone, hopped out to dash into a store. The rain suddenly poured. All the literally 'unwashed' bus people spontaneously clapped our hands ;-). Another time, I had to try really hard to resist the urge to chase after a gleaming white BMW to get the licence number. The young woman opened the car door to throw out her trash while waiting for the light to turn green!

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-30-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
hippies > rednecks > ISIS > literal cannibals > yuppies > frat bros (particularly the kind that are just yuppies in training)

Old 03-30-2015, 02:42 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
^ ^ Wow… they have cannibals and ISIS in Iowa, who knew?!! Although agreed, they still probably make better neighbors than frat boys (aka, yuppies in training)!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:48 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Intellectual Hippies. I do not care for Yuppie self-centered money and appearance crazed fools. I also do not care to try to have an interested conversation with Sports and Beer obsessed Rednecks.
This. I'll follow you there.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
If you had to choose a place to retire that seemed like a pretty good "fit" in most ways (locale, weather, size, economy, etc.), but was otherwise predominantly either one "cultural extreme" or another…say, like either mostly "hippy", "yuppie", or else had a very high "redneck" quotient… which kinda place would you prefer?

For example, while "it takes all kinds", and everywhere has some sort of "mix", some places seem to 'lean' one way more than others, each with their 'downside'. Personally I tend to prefer more "rustic" values than somewhere with a high concentration of yuppies, although I don't much relate to redneck 'culture' either (Nascar, Harleys, tats, C/W music, etc.). But even as a "lib-rul", I also kinda get tired of too many 'earth mother', p.c., 'new-agey', hipper-than-thou folks too.

So if you had to choose your "annoyances", and all other things being equal, which kinda place would you find the easiest to, um "tolerate", and why?
Definitely hippyish compared to the other two choices ....... tiny Arcata CA would be one such place. Crazy, liberal, incredible redwood forests in the country's largest city park ....... low cost ganja for those who indulge ...... bagels for those who don't ........ ocean on one side, low mountains on the other ..... legally topless chicks in the town square, a university, elk herds not far north, etc.

Big box shopping is available down in nearby Eureka, just to the south.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM

417 posts, read 445,137 times
I would feel most comfortable around hippies.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
now define redneck and hippie
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well said. Not sure about the jealousy, but young urban professionals (who also age), yes.

As Boogiesmom asks, please define the other two.
Well, I am going to pass on defining the other two, for two reasons: First, it would require some careful thought and I don't feel like making that effort right now (defining yuppie, by contrast, seemed easy to me). Second, this is getting contentious for some reason which remains a mystery to me. Thanks for asking, though. It is flattering to think that someone else is interested enough in my definitions to ask for them.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:07 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
What about Bubbas and Bubbettes?

Definition: A redneck with money. Can usually be identified by ownership of a McMansion in the country, in front of which they park multiple cars and trucks. And on weekends they can be found blasting around on "the lake" on jet skis.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Differences? Rednecks drink Budweiser, hippies drink cheap wine, yuppies drink microbrews, fine wines, or any outrageously costly booze, and hipsters drink Pabst beer for whatever inscrutable reason.

I find it interesting that yuppies and rednecks are both libertarian, and they despise liberalism ...... though the former are rich and the latter are usually poor (unless they get into making duck calls).

Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 PM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
I'll say yuppies.

What can I say? Just give me a clean, quiet neighborhood, and that's the group most likely to have one, in my opinion.

I'm not looking for a big social life, so it's not the people that matter as much as the surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement