Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times

Advertisements

It's not black and white for everyone. I'm 63 and will be 64 in June. Retired Captain from USAF. About 5 years ago I quit my regular job because I had the boss from hell. Did that job half time and did contract work part time.

That lasted 18 months until they hired a full-time person and didn't need me. By then I'd hit another gig that I did about 15 hours a week and paid me about $25K a year.

But after 4 years, they finally hired a full time person to replace me last month. They have me "on-call" to do stuff in case they get swamped but it's been 3 days and no call, and the new lady is very determined to show she can do it without my assistance.

So I think this is the end of the working road. I have my military pay, a couple rental properties, dividend paying investments and my wife will still be working for a couple years. Holding off on the Social Security for now. In 27 more months I can apply and get $8K a year from my wife's earnings. Could do that until age 70. Still go back and forth on the wisdom of that. I run the numbers a lot.

So rest of this year is a bit of a test run on finances. Going to see where we can cut down on expenses. Knew this was coming so was able to max out my Roth IRA contribution ($6,500). Last deposit is today. Still have to go $5,000 for the wife's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think… congratulations!? Keep us posted with your observations of it all!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Sounds like you are in a pretty good situation with a pension, medical coverage, investments, income properties and a working wife.

I also retired a bit early due to the working conditions. Finances were OK but a bit tight. We cut back expenses drastically for a couple of years. Now our investments have increased and we are in a much better position. Trying to cut back late into retirement has little effect. Living well below your means before or early into retirement can have a major, lasting effect.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
It's not black and white for everyone. I'm 63 and will be 64 in June. Retired Captain from USAF. About 5 years ago I quit my regular job because I had the boss from hell. Did that job half time and did contract work part time.

That lasted 18 months until they hired a full-time person and didn't need me. By then I'd hit another gig that I did about 15 hours a week and paid me about $25K a year.

But after 4 years, they finally hired a full time person to replace me last month. They have me "on-call" to do stuff in case they get swamped but it's been 3 days and no call, and the new lady is very determined to show she can do it without my assistance.

So I think this is the end of the working road. I have my military pay, a couple rental properties, dividend paying investments and my wife will still be working for a couple years. Holding off on the Social Security for now. In 27 more months I can apply and get $8K a year from my wife's earnings. Could do that until age 70. Still go back and forth on the wisdom of that. I run the numbers a lot.

So rest of this year is a bit of a test run on finances. Going to see where we can cut down on expenses. Knew this was coming so was able to max out my Roth IRA contribution ($6,500). Last deposit is today. Still have to go $5,000 for the wife's.
This is how it happens, sometimes. Things happen, you work the situation the best you can, and then gradually you realize you have been retired.

Our industry (fabric) died when my wife was 60, so she retired and I drove an 18 wheeler for 5 years to get us over the hump. And that was a good move. I happened to choose a good company, and drove steadily until the end of 2010.
My "retirement" was simply a matter of cleaning up the truck and saying goodby to a few people.

Then I went home to enjoy Thanksgiving. And Christmas. And waking up feeling like every day was Saturday.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Congratulations! You should celebrate!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 AM

554 posts, read 745,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post

FIRST-of-all, Cap'n ... Thank You for serving our Country! I know that I appreciate that you dedicated a significant portion of your life to defense of this Nation.

So, now you're really retired, and experiencing what some of us have been experiencing for a few years: We've been "usurped" by a young, aggressive, capable generation, whose "turn" it is to provide for themselves. (Or, at least that's the way it's supposed to go!)

This "retirement situation" you find yourself in is actually better than a lot of folks' ... You've got a "cushion" under you. Many folks don't even have that.
Many folks are still struggling, even though they're either at, or past full-retirement-age (FRA), and find that they must continue working, just to be able to live at a lower-standard than they were used to when they were fully employed. And, their "retirement" very-well may include government assistance programs, in order to live at-all.
Some thought they were "too cool for school" ... others simply "lived for the day" and some even "squandered tomorrow" by their lifestyle(s). Some folks had a "tough row to hoe" and just couldn't put enough money together to be able to afford to retire; many of them are still working, trying to play catch-up in a society that no longer values their contribution, or worth.

Those who actually took (or are taking) the time to plan for retirement will be the ones who have better opportunities to enjoy themselves.
I hope that you & yours are in that category - it appears (from your post) that you are.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
No, you aren't retired.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:20 AM

658 posts, read 723,767 times
stay optimistic on things...you're in an alright situation. Congrats for not having work anymore...now you can spend time on your hobbies and relax .

Old 03-31-2015, 01:33 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
"Boss from hell"---You will never regret that move. My work life brought a lot of discomfort to me and the last thing I'll ever spend any time wondering about is the decision to get out a bit early. In order to have any decent health at the end of your working years a person needs to see life as a matter of wealth VS health. Congrats on your decision, be happy, and remember, living well isn't a matter of revenge, it's pure salvation.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:42 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
No, you aren't retired.
I'm not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement