Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 12:55 PM

12,048 posts, read 10,187,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I remembered this thread and searched it out to add to it- I guess it's been a VERY long extended process- we are continuing to go through stuff in anticipation of really listing the house within the next few weeks / month.
I periodically would go through things and regularly scheduled pick ups from the various charities. I am amazed at how much I still have left and will be giving away.
One other thing I don't know if was mentioned previously but bears repeating, is freecycle. I have offered things that are totally useful and usable and even possibly desirable, but not worth selling.
I recently gave some flower arrangements and some cabinet hardware... someone wants it, I leave it out on the porch and they enjoy it.
Anyway it's truly amazing how much stuff we have- and my house is not very cluttered.....just taking another break and sharing.
thanks for reviving this thread

I saw a post of mine and it said I cleaned out the second fridge a year ago

Well I just did it again! What the heck - that nonsense has got to stop!!

My vow for this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 01:06 PM

18,646 posts, read 33,212,838 times
The movers are coming next week and anything I haven't sorted or designated will go into a box and I will have to deal with it in Colorado.
I've gotten down to piles. This pile in this duffle bag for the main closet, this box of little arty things that I can open later, this one for the bathroom, this one for the drive West, this one for the stay in my house until my stuff arrives (unknown when!).

I took two bags of clothes to the church thrift shop and will have two more when I am finished making piles. Why did I buy all those black shirts, now covered with white dog hair? I am determined to have only the few things that I use or wear regularly.

The clean out your house guys were here last week, even took books/CDs to the library for their sale. I didn't think I had much stuff, but if you get down to only what you use, it's pretty small. My builder in Colorado reminded me that "There's not much storage in this house, maybe OK for you and maybe a guest." (I wondered if a live-in boyfriend comes with the house). "You might want to get a shed in the back for things you don't use." I told him, "I don't want to have anything that I don't use." He said, "I wish my wife felt that way."

This moving is such a great chance to start over. When I moved into my current house, it was going to be my house forever, plus it was bigger than I wanted "for possible resale." Resale, impossible! Now, 17 years later, it'll be on the market May 1. I think I've carefully looked at everything, besides its use or my fondness for something, but also where it will go in the new house, 500 sq.ft. less. Right sizing. I haven't been upstairs but a couple of times since I got WiFi and no longer use the upstairs desk.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,231,465 times
I'm now finding that I miss some of the things I got rid of. Not much but did give away Pyrex game were (& I keep forgetting to buy it here), cookie sheets, since I never used them but wish I had them now & other items I'm having a hard time replacing. Then I also found I brought duplicates of some things that now have to go to Goodwill.

Oh well, at least I did get rid of a lot of things that I didn't need!

Wish I had kept my large bookcase & a cabinet that would come in handy here. I'm having a hard time finding something similar that would be inexpensive.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,167,807 times
OK. Last July, I handed my apartment key to a neighbor and said Get rid of all this stuff. I went to the airport with one carryon bag containing my laptop, a few changes of clothes, some important documents, and flew across the Pacific Ocean. I live here with the woman I love (whom I had never seen before July) and I do not miss anything.

Yes, you can.

Maybe what Im saying is that you don't need to downsize. When the time comes to walk away from it, walk away.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:58 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,231,465 times
Should have read over my post before submitting. It was Pyrex bake ware, not game were (& spell check tried to correct me again!)

Old 04-07-2018, 08:00 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,922,246 times
A bunch of old toys were thrown away or donated. Many were broken. They needed to go. A few were retained.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:02 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,146,002 times
I just opened one of the medium moving boxes and thought “ why on earth did I bring all this stuff” so half of it went into the rubbish bin and the other half goes to thrift store.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:16 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,466,335 times
I've unpacked two boxes of stemware. There should be six of each type but some seem to be missing. So they sit there. They were wedding presents so they're good quality if anyone even wants that stuff anymore. I want to try to sell them to a jewelry store but I have to find the rest of them.

My neighbor downsized today by giving my husband a big bag of old brochures about vintage cars and airplanes. Added to our clutter though. I seem to be in a rut lately.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:12 PM

535 posts, read 341,558 times
I told my husband that if we "kicked the bucket," that all of our so called precious stuff would be put in moving boxes and sent to the local thrift store.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 PM

812 posts, read 789,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Should have read over my post before submitting. It was Pyrex bake ware, not game were (& spell check tried to correct me again!)
Heehee, I wondered what kind of game was played with Pyrex.

We have a lot of junk we need to start getting rid of. Sometimes I wonder where it all comes from! Now just need to find the motivation to get started...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement