Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 12:52 PM

21,432 posts, read 12,558,787 times

Advertisements

"I'm finding that I really don't need more than one set of dishes & cookware, lol. I don't even know why I felt I needed three sets of everything."

Actually, unless you entertain (most people really don't; they just think they will), you need one bowl, plate, spoon, knife, and fork per person. If you live alone, that's ONE bowl, plate, spoon, knife, and fork. It's amazing how minimalist you can get when you try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:21 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,357,101 times
Made my husband take down the drapes and rods in our bedroom -- drapes from the 80's. We have nice faux wood blinds up now and I just prefer the cleaner look and less dust collecting with those old drapes. I washed them, wrapped them up nicely with the rods and all the parts and they go to Vietnam Veterans in the next pickup!

Also went through my paperback books and have a large bag. Now I only save really special books or ones I want to pass on to a friend or family -- or possibly read again.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've been here over six months now & still haven't unpacked everything. Partly because I need to get more cabinets, partly being lazy, partly they are summer clothes. Sure glad I kept both summer & fall clothing!

Thankfully, to get the best price when I moved, I could only have 30 medium sized boxes. I got rid of a lot of things that I was keeping because they were pretty or sentimental. Or I'd bought them because I felt deprived for some reason.

Except for the unpacked boxes, everything I have now I use. And the unpacked are slowly getting done as I need things in them, mostly warm weather clothes & craft materials.

I'm finding that I really don't need more than one set of dishes & cookware, lol. I don't even know why I felt I needed three sets of everything.

I've made so many moves over the years, and got rid of so much with each one, I haven't had a whole lot to get rid of anymore. Right now I DO have three boxes of clothes by the front door to drop off at the Mission thrift store, including toilet paper and travel size shampoos, etc.. Those will help somebody, I'm sure. I have one set of (mismatched) dishes, one set of pots and pans and kitchen utensils. I use all that I have. I go through things once year and if I haven't worn/used something, it goes. So far I haven't missed anything I've got rid of. My daughter gave me a box of clothes to take also and some really nice queen size bedding. Both of our beds are now double so don't need bigger. She has about 500 DVDs she's bought over the years but won't part with any of them.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I'm finding that I really don't need more than one set of dishes & cookware, lol. I don't even know why I felt I needed three sets of everything."

Actually, unless you entertain (most people really don't; they just think they will), you need one bowl, plate, spoon, knife, and fork per person. If you live alone, that's ONE bowl, plate, spoon, knife, and fork. It's amazing how minimalist you can get when you try.

LOL...that's so true. I was down to four of everything...in case I had people over for dinner...but then my daughter moved home and brought 'stuff' with her. My counter space is quite limited but she insists on having her blender and Keurig (sp) drink thing out. Storage in this house is very limited as well so I simply can't keep a lot. My bedroom closet is very big so I have things stored in there like boxes of picture frames but they need to be moved to the storage shed...one of these days. I won't get rid of them because I have scads of old time pics I want to hang from the 1800s to the present. My Rogues Gallery.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,943,926 times
This morning, I picked through my closet again to make sure there isn't anything in there that I don't wear anymore. I did the major downsizing of my closet several years ago.

My husband has a closet packed full of clothing which he doesn't wear, and he refuses to do anything about that, but he has been going through old papers and discarding them, which is pretty good for him, as he saves every little piece of paper.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Made my husband take down the drapes and rods in our bedroom -- drapes from the 80's. We have nice faux wood blinds up now and I just prefer the cleaner look and less dust collecting with those old drapes. I washed them, wrapped them up nicely with the rods and all the parts and they go to Vietnam Veterans in the next pickup!

Also went through my paperback books and have a large bag. Now I only save really special books or ones I want to pass on to a friend or family -- or possibly read again.

When I moved into my house there was a set of wall to wall drapes in my bedroom. I took them down but still haven't done anything with them except stored in the linen closet. I have the hardware too so will likely give it all to the thrift store along with a few boxes of clothes that no longer fit. I could probably sell those drapes for a pretty penny but don't feel up to the hassle. They would fit in any room as they are plain beige and pretty nice.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,103 times
I cleaned out the "spare bedroom" which should just be called the junk room. Years ago when I was unemployed I put all of the video tapes of our daughter growing up, dancing, cheering, etc. onto DVDs. But did I throw away the tapes out of the camera OR the VHS tapes I had to transfer them to first? NO! So this time I did. I also threw away a couple of cameras. Who wants a camera that uses film anymore?
I filled the garbage can, and ended up with 3 boxes for the some-day garage sale.
Whoever mentioned their husband refusing to get rid of any clothes, I feel your pain. I took it upon myself to get rid of a couple of the gazillion pairs of sweat pants mine had, and had a box by the door ready to take to St. Vinnie's on my way home from work the next day. Morning comes, I pick up on the way out the door, and think...hmmm...this doesn't seem as heavy as yesterday, I must have been worn out then after cleaning..and off I go. A while later, I'm in the basement and notice this white garbage bag on a shelf I hadn't noticed before. I open it up, and....yup. Full of sweat pants.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I cleaned out the "spare bedroom" which should just be called the junk room. Years ago when I was unemployed I put all of the video tapes of our daughter growing up, dancing, cheering, etc. onto DVDs. But did I throw away the tapes out of the camera OR the VHS tapes I had to transfer them to first? NO! So this time I did. I also threw away a couple of cameras. Who wants a camera that uses film anymore?
I filled the garbage can, and ended up with 3 boxes for the some-day garage sale.
Whoever mentioned their husband refusing to get rid of any clothes, I feel your pain. I took it upon myself to get rid of a couple of the gazillion pairs of sweat pants mine had, and had a box by the door ready to take to St. Vinnie's on my way home from work the next day. Morning comes, I pick up on the way out the door, and think...hmmm...this doesn't seem as heavy as yesterday, I must have been worn out then after cleaning..and off I go. A while later, I'm in the basement and notice this white garbage bag on a shelf I hadn't noticed before. I open it up, and....yup. Full of sweat pants.
Oh Good Lord!
LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Oh Good Lord!
LOLOLOLOLOL
I know!! Good grief....we just went through this again when I was cleaning last Monday. He says "Well, when one pair wears out I have another ready."

Old 04-11-2018, 03:41 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,426,958 times
It's not really downsizing, but getting rid of excess stuff.

Listed an old washer, rug steam cleaner , huge stainless get pan and a window a/c on Craig's list today.

I hate the scam calls and texted I get though when I list something on CL.
People wanting me to call and give them a code (don't EVER do that, it gives them direct access to every thing on your phone, they'll change your password and you won't have access to your own phone...ask me how I know this), OR they text you, email you telling you to text/email their spouse, who in turn will offer to send you a bogus check and arrange pick up after it clears your account, and some times they ask for cash back out if the check, but it's a scam I don't fall for.

Now if I get them all sold, I'll habe $285 to pay the IRS with, yippee.

I'm rummaging to see what else I can sell, just to get rid of stuff, and make a little money in the side. Actually I don't make money, because all are sold for less than I bought them,so I get a little money out of them and get rid of stuff too.
Win win I guess.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement