Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I threw out an old birdbath, a worn out pair of my husbands shoes.

Did purchase a new Kate Spade tote tho, so I guess that equals everything out.
Did you try to give away the birdbath? I'm assuming this was a nice concrete one... I hope everyone tries to find a charity to recycle unwanted items, even if they don't want to bother trying to sell them, rather than automatically throwing them in the already-full landfills. Some will even come pick them up at your door. At least put them out well ahead of the pick-up date with a "FREE" sign on the pile.

Remember the old saying: "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:29 PM

51 posts, read 26,355 times
I sold a techy sophisticated alarm clock...hope it stays in it's new home. It was too tricky to learn how it functions.

I brought an old kids bouncy horse up from the basement...thinking I would take it to Goodwill. But now I'm considering it for flower bed decor. Trying to talk myself out of that.

Closing this week on my late son's house, so I brought home mops, broom, dustpan and a lamp. I already have all of these items do hopefully I won't take them to the basement.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
culled some more clothes out of the closet. Some maybe worn once. Realized I didn't love them and didn't fit like I wanted so out the door they went to the consignment person. At least I am getting something for them.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 AM

497 posts, read 571,206 times
I have been totally deconstructing a wood veneer computer desk. It is upstairs and I cannot move it one inch! So I have removed over 125 screws, too many staples to count, and knocked it down with my trusty hammer. I will tape the pieces into bundles that I can manage. The desk is 25 years old. I hate it! I am 76 and I am still DELIGHTED to rid the house of one more piece of junk.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM

705 posts, read 561,804 times
I'm cleaning out our pantry and fridge/freezer and taking it to the local pantry that helps families in need. We have decided to start following the 'Forks Over Knives' lifestyle. I have spoke to many other people lately that went this route and are off their meds now and their health has greatly improved.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Threw out about four cubic feet of pantry food, most of which was many years past its "Best by" date.

DH is a food hoarder. I made him prepare and eat one of his Annie Chun soup bowls last night, only about a year old.

It may not sound like much but I'm just getting started.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Threw out about four cubic feet of pantry food, most of which was many years past its "Best by" date.

DH is a food hoarder. I made him prepare and eat one of his Annie Chun soup bowls last night, only about a year old.

I used to stockpile cuz I thought it was a more frugal way to go, but no. Not when you don't use the stuff.

Now I just buy staples as needed. And as we have gotten older, we eat less and go out to eat more.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I stock up on things I eat regularly when on sale, but use a Sharpie to write the expiration date LARGE ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY READ on the label at home and even organize my shelves so the oldest is in the front, like grocery stores do. It can be done...

Old 07-18-2018, 04:02 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I stock up on things I eat regularly when on sale, but use a Sharpie to write the expiration date LARGE ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY READ on the label at home and even organize my shelves so the oldest is in the front, like grocery stores do. It can be done...

Having the expiration date LARGE ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY READ would not change a certain somebody's food hoarding tendencies. He likes to buy it and store it. Cook it, not so much. You must have missed the part where I forced him to cook and eat a piece of his hoard. Baby steps. Maybe he'll stop buying it if he has to have it for dinner.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 07-18-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Having the expiration date LARGE ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY READ would not change a certain somebody's food hoarding tendencies. He likes to buy it and store it. Cook it, not so much. You must have missed the part where I forced him to cook and eat a piece of his hoard. Baby steps. Maybe he'll stop buying it if he has to have it for dinner.
I was speaking generally rather than specifically to your personal situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement