Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 AM

496 posts, read 553,240 times

Advertisements

Those pill-talking Old people were boring when they were young, too, only nobody noticed at the time. That's because when we're young, we look at each other differently (i.e. as potential mates). Someone who might have fascinated you back in 1968 (despite their only interests being TV shows and "who's dating whom") is now totally fixated on ailments and grandkids.

It sounds like you haven't found many interesting Old people. I agree that they can be hard to find in the day-to-day world, although there seem to be quite a few on-line. I've met some interesting Old people at the gym and other settings, and as it turns out, we were all the nerdy, imaginative, not-terribly-athletic-or-popular sorts in school! Nobody noticed us back then, but now we interest one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I The young people talk to the young people. I am left with the old people (like me) who are boring and tell me about how many pills each takes. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
How much of your bucket list did you accomplish? I'd love to hear more.
Why do people have bucket lists?

Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Guess I did not address the OP's question about advice. Stay involved. I cannot generate more money for retirement but I can be wiser about spending the money. I do not volunteer as much now but I do more for myself (attending lectures, painting, etc.) There is still a lot of life to live.
I call it becoming a consumer. I used to work and now I consume and help the economy.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:39 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Before leaving the house, I would always check to see that my fly was zipped up.

Now I check to make sure I'm wearing pants.
I love the retirement threads and this post is one of the reasons. LOL

Old 12-31-2015, 08:40 PM
NCN

Quote:
to those younger than you (late 50s and 60s) following behind? On anything at all other than finances.......housing, relocation, relationships, roles, attitudes, habits...what has your aging taught you?
Nothing they want to know about.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Start living healthy now! Get exercise, eat right, get rest, take your vacations! Don't wait for retirement to do these things.

If you need to have surgery, have old jewelry restyled or repaired, to buy a decent bed or sofa, do these things now while you have a salary coming in.

Save something every pay period.

Stay focused on your job. Make the most of every opportunity.

Take pictures of your family doing fun things. Someday you'll look at those photos of happy people and say, I was rich and never knew it.
All good advice, thanks. "Don't wait..."

Old 01-01-2016, 06:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Quote:
How much of your bucket list did you accomplish? I'd love to hear more.
Six trips to Europe, one to Australia, five cruises in the Caribbean, one down the Mexican riviera, one to Alaska, a number of trips into Mexico, Canada more times than I can count, Costa Rica, Panama, plus 48 states. Never been to the Dakotas.

Lots of things to look back on, 8 inches of snow in Mexico, sitting by the pool on ship looking at a glacier, the tour of a coal mine in Nova Scotia, Banana plantation in Costa Rica, driving on the left side of the road in Bermuda, the sign on the side of Mexico hwy 1 saying Tropic of Cancer, we had driven to the tropics.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:14 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why do people have bucket lists?
I never thought about bucket lists until I saw the movie "The Bucket List' with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. It was about that time that I realized that I wasn't getting any younger and it was time to reflect on what I wanted to experience in my remaining years.

Funny thing about "bucket lists"--sometimes life has its own "Bucket List" for you to experience. Earlier this month I was third row standing at a small venue concert with one of my favorite bands (Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls) To make a long story short, I inadvertently found myself in the midst of a mosh pit--certainly not something that ever crossed my mind as something I wanted to do, but evidently something Life wanted me to experience!

For me "The Bucket List" is a mental file where I table all the things I want to do until the time is right and/or I have enough resources. As retiring to St. Petersburg, FL is on "the Bucket List," I booked a preliminary exploratory trip for the end of this month to get a feel for the place. On the short list: trips to Paris, St. John's, Newfoundland (where Republic of Doyle takes place), Australia/NZ and another trip to Ireland, becoming a senior body builder (I currently don't exercise, HA!) It really doesn't matter as long as I have something to which I look forward/aspire.

If "Bucket Lists" are too fatalistic for you put your desires on a vision board or Pintrest--same difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement