Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 10:52 PM

125 posts, read 228,196 times

Advertisements

Although a few years older, after watching a few episodes of Martha Stewart on PBS...waking up to Waffles Florentine or Balthazar Brioche French Toast would seal the deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 08:07 AM

361 posts, read 737,442 times
Have enjoyed reading through this thread so much...
My $.02... I would not rule out but highly unlikely -- less likely with each passing year.
Had a miserable marriage, now I think I've worked out why I married the guy in the first place.
After divorce, ex-spouse married again almost immediately.
After a year and a half maybe, we did become friends again.
I still stay in touch with his widow...

Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 AM

199 posts, read 528,445 times
Married for almost 50 years and my wife past away last year. Never thought I would find another person that I could love as much, but I have. I never liked living alone. Would we marry, no, because of the financial loss to do so. We both have children and we want whats left to go to them. I have a second chance on love and happiness and will never regret doing so.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
I was just speaking to a friend of mine. Her mother died 2 years ago, the father is 92, like a month after his wife died, he went on a dating site. Met some 80+ women, started dating, 2 months later, she moves in with him....now, he has changed his will, leaving everything to her, including the house, the kids get 0. She monitors his every move, listens in on his phone calls, will not let his kids see him without her being right there. She is in total control.

What gets my friend is that her father started dating so quickly, he had been married to her mother for 65 years, it is like she never existed.

It has been said that women are weak, well, I have a hard time swallowing that. I have seen the above happen over and over again, cause the man has to have someone to take care of him, and, they fall for all the "gold diggers" manipulation, hook, line and sinker.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Default Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I was just speaking to a friend of mine. Her mother died 2 years ago, the father is 92, like a month after his wife died, he went on a dating site. Met some 80+ women, started dating, 2 months later, she moves in with him....now, he has changed his will, leaving everything to her, including the house, the kids get 0. She monitors his every move, listens in on his phone calls, will not let his kids see him without her being right there. She is in total control.

What gets my friend is that her father started dating so quickly, he had been married to her mother for 65 years, it is like she never existed.

It has been said that women are weak, well, I have a hard time swallowing that. I have seen the above happen over and over again, cause the man has to have someone to take care of him, and, they fall for all the "gold diggers" manipulation, hook, line and sinker.

I am so sorry for your friend. So hard to see something like that, so very hurtful.

I am wondering with the father's advanced age..... dementia? Alzheimer's? I wonder if hiring a lawyer would be helpful? Maybe your friend could talk to the father's physician?

Good luck to your friend.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
I'm 45 and if my spouse died, I would not marry again. I'd continue to raise my kids until they were off on their own, and then would downsize and just continue to enjoy my kids, friends and any future grandkids.

My maternal grandfather got remarried TWICE after my grandmother died (they had been married 50 years before she passed). We loved his second wife - she immediately felt like family to us. Unfortunately, she suddenly passed away about a year or two into their marriage. He got married less than a year later and we did not like the third wife nearly as much. He was over 80 for both of those subsequent marriages. Fortunately both women were in his age range instead of being a lot younger.

My paternal grandmother was widowed in her mid-60s and never remarried, living to the ripe age of 99.

My parents have both said that they refuse to get remarried if widowed, all because of what happened with the third wife of my grandfather. It caused a lot of heartache after my grandfather passed, and my parents have said they will not consider remarrying for that very reason.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
NY Gal....the four children have been to an attorney, right now their only option is to attempt to have him declared incompetent. In addition to what I written above, he also gave his POA to her, prior to this it was held by my friend, who is a very well educated professional. This "new" women has pulled this before, her previous husband, was also cleaned out....or at least this is according to his children, they were married for 11 years....she has this racket down pat!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
I have been married to the same man for 48 years..A big NO to marry again....I would like to see what it is like to live by myself....I married at 19 and I am 64. From parents to husband. Now, don't go and say well, I bet she'll be glad when he's gone NO I don't mean that at all. He has a lot of medical issues and may go before me. I am just saying I want to be by myself if I can't be with him.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I have been married to the same man for 48 years..A big NO to marry again....I would like to see what it is like to live by myself....I married at 19 and I am 64. From parents to husband. Now, don't go and say well, I bet she'll be glad when he's gone NO I don't mean that at all. He has a lot of medical issues and may go before me. I am just saying I want to be by myself if I can't be with him.
Being the stickler I sometimes can be, your math is a bit off. If you were married at 19 and have been married for 48 years, that means you are 67, not 64.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
NY Gal....the four children have been to an attorney, right now their only option is to attempt to have him declared incompetent. In addition to what I written above, he also gave his POA to her, prior to this it was held by my friend, who is a very well educated professional. This "new" women has pulled this before, her previous husband, was also cleaned out....or at least this is according to his children, they were married for 11 years....she has this racket down pat!

Too bad there isn't a way to warn other men to stay away from that woman. She sounds horrible. Good luck to your friend's family in somehow getting back what should be theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement