Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm just the opposite. I use my CC the entire month, including bill paying and then just write one check a month to the bank for the CC payment.

My CC statement is categorized so I can see my budget broken down.
While a different style still a Bada Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
I'm just the opposite. I use my CC the entire month, including bill paying and then just write one check a month to the bank for the CC payment.

My CC statement is categorized so I can see my budget broken down.
Actually I do the same. I use the credit card whenever possible and then pay the credit card from the bank. We even have an automatic payment for the credit cards. The amount is fairly low but enough to cover the minimum payment. If we are late in paying the bills, the minimum assures that we do not get late payment fees and bad credit.

We even bought a $50K diesel pickup truck on our credit cards. It took 2 of them on a Sunday afternoon. We got lots and lots of points and of course paid the cards as soon as possible.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Really? I've never found a dealership that would take a credit card for anything but a parial down payment. But its been years, (like 5) since I've bought a car. Are they taking them now at most places? I normally buy mine cash, since I never buy New, but getting points would be a hige bonus. I pay everything via CC, never carry a balance. And amass points. Car insurance, health, dental, even most utilities. Only mortgages are direct withdrawal and then because I bank with Wells Fargo and the mortgages are also with them.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:27 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Really? I've never found a dealership that would take a credit card for anything but a parial down payment. But its been years, (like 5) since I've bought a car. Are they taking them now at most places? I normally buy mine cash, since I never buy New, but getting points would be a hige bonus. I pay everything via CC, never carry a balance. And amass points. Car insurance, health, dental, even most utilities. Only mortgages are direct withdrawal and then because I bank with Wells Fargo and the mortgages are also with them.
I made this purchase in 2010. It was for a diesel pickup to carry my truck camper. I was surprised the dealer took a credit card payment. In fact they offered a major discount for paying the full amount on the spot.

We were also able to pay tuition including room and board. We paid for the semester and, since she was at an expensive private University, the payments were considerable. Lots and lots of points after paying for 10 semesters of study. For some reason we have not been able to pay the mortgage or the natural gas bill by credit card.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I made this purchase in 2010. It was for a diesel pickup to carry my truck camper. I was surprised the dealer took a credit card payment. In fact they offered a major discount for paying the full amount on the spot.

We were also able to pay tuition including room and board. We paid for the semester and, since she was at an expensive private University, the payments were considerable. Lots and lots of points after paying for 10 semesters of study. For some reason we have not been able to pay the mortgage or the natural gas bill by credit card.
And I had an opposite scenario. I was prepared to pay cash + trade in and they offered me a discount if I would take out a loan. There was no prepayment penalty so I went with the loan.

This was Dodge back in 2009 or 2010..a bit after their bailout. They had to have so many loans as part of their bailout deal.

The second loan payment was the payoff.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You should be able to do much better than 1.35%. No reason you can't make 5% per year in the high yield bond market, taking on a little bit of risk and paying attention to your investments. Making occasional trades, etc. High yield bonds are benefiting from the same fed policy as are stocks. As long as the fed keeps interest rates where they are, bonds of decent companies will hold up in value.

Check out bonds from companies like
Frontier
Windstream
PPL Energy Plus

These are the only 3 I can think of off the top of my head, but there are many others.

All are good bets to remain in business and paying bond interest for a long time.
Not interested in getting into the stock market; I want a sure thing, and only for 24 months.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not interested in getting into the stock market; I want a sure thing, and only for 24 months.
Better read my analysis again.
The BOND market is not the stock market.
Two totally different things.

If you want a 'sure thing' you will never make any money. Have fun making close to zero.
If you want a much better return, with only slightly more risk, then look at some bonds.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Better read my analysis again.
The BOND market is not the stock market.
Two totally different things.

If you want a 'sure thing' you will never make any money. Have fun making close to zero.
If you want a much better return, with only slightly more risk, then look at some bonds.
He's going to spend it in 2 years. It's not like he's going to leave it in there for 30 years and then live off the interest.
2 years is short term and I would do the same seeing that money is earmarked and I wouldn't want to have to liquidate in a down market.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
He's going to spend it in 2 years. It's not like he's going to leave it in there for 30 years and then live off the interest.
2 years is short term and I would do the same seeing that money is earmarked and I wouldn't want to have to liquidate in a down market.
1.85% (now) is better than .25%, and good enough for a sure thing in two years.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
he would lose more than that selling if rates even went up 1%. that is a problem if he is not holding to maturity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement