Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

I traveled cross country and internationally when I was in my twenties.

I traveled again internationally a few times when I was in my 60s. We're hoping to go to England this fall and it's going to be expensive because airfare has gone way up and I don't have many more relatives left to stay with. That will probably be the last international trip.

If God and luck are on our side, we hope to take a few more cruises in the future. I always said that when I got older it'd be cruises. (Relaxing and getting waited on.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 PM

292 posts, read 357,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
retiring in july with a nice juicy travel budget allocated.
What kind of travel do you anticipate? International? US road trips? RVing? Do you guys have a bucket list you're planning to knock off?

I'm still working, so don't fit the question posed by OP, but I have flexibility and have done quite a bit of traveling during my 60s. I got into the frequent flyer/points/status hobby and even did a few mileage runs. I spent months researching and building a oneworld round the world ticket that would optimize mileage while hitting some of my dream destinations. (Business class ticket, 16 segments for approx $6K). The really great couple years of good fares and bonus deals kind of evaporated, and the frequent flier programs continue to chip away at value, so the past couple years I've been doing more road tripping, mostly to scope out potential relocation areas should I ever get to retire. That has been really fun in it's own way. Now I find myself cruising Flyertalk, Milepoint, Airbnb, Tripadvisor, etc again, and Southeast Asia beckons. I'd thought maybe the wanderlust would subside if I traveled enough while working and able to easily afford it, but I don't think that's going to happen. My "rate limiting factor" now is my mom, who's 91st birthday party I will be hosting in a month. Unless I can talk her into coming along, I hate to do any extensive travel where I wouldn't be readily available should she need me. But I do think my retirement years will definitely involve travel, both international and domestic, and maybe some RVing and boating (trawler) thrown in! God willing.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Before retirement we traveled a fair amount; Jamaica X3, Mexico X6, Belize X3, Fiji, Hawaii, England, Scotland and some around the USA.

After retirement we moved to Hawaii and didn't travel as much. We have gone to Turkey, Greece, Egypt, and some on the mainland though,

We would like to go to Alaska, but basically we're done traveling.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:35 PM

292 posts, read 357,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Before retirement we traveled a fair amount; Jamaica X3, Mexico X6, Belize X3, Fiji, Hawaii, England, Scotland and some around the USA.

After retirement we moved to Hawaii and didn't travel as much. We have gone to Turkey, Greece, Egypt, and some on the mainland though,

We would like to go to Alaska, but basically we're done traveling.
Was that a conscious decision or did you just realize one day that the travel bug was gone?

Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Mastequila, the travel bug is gone primarily because air travel has become more uncomfortable with the long lines and security checks and the seats so close together with no leg room ( my husband is quite tall). My daughter in law & I may go to France, Italy and Greece in one fell swoop though!

Where would you like to go?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:35 AM

79 posts, read 81,795 times
It might sound strange since I'm writing this during our 9th trip to Hawaii, but now retired this might be our last big travelling. DW and I were lucky to do most of our travelling 20-25 years ago..starting with Hawaii, England and Ireland, Canadian and US Rockies, California and Pacific NW, and I've done Japan and Costa Rica with our daughter. No interest in old cathedrals, art museums found in most of Europe, etc.

Air travel is miserable.. took us 17 hours to get from Philly to Maui cause United messed up crew schedule (no captain!). Will content ourselves with daytrips by car.. plenty to see and do in the Philly-NYC-DC area.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:37 AM

79 posts, read 81,795 times
Default Traveling days over

It might sound strange since I'm writing this during our 9th trip to Hawaii, but now retired this might be our last big travelling. DW and I were lucky to do most of our travelling 20-25 years ago..starting with Hawaii, England and Ireland, Canadian and US Rockies, California and Pacific NW, and I've done Japan and Costa Rica with our daughter. No interest in old cathedrals, art museums found in most of Europe, etc.

Air travel is miserable.. took us 17 hours to get from Philly to Maui cause United messed up crew schedule (no captain!). Will content ourselves with daytrips by car.. plenty to see and do in the Philly-NYC-DC area.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
That's why DH & I restrict ourselves to domestic travel. I've no idea why you choose restrict yourself to day trips from your own home. What's that about? We travel by car and it's AMAZING how much is available within a 2-3 day trip. Sure, we often enroute have to spend one night in a hotel, but what glories await us beyond.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:36 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i live in nyc and decided not to drive to washington dc. it is a short flight so why drive 5 or 6 hours .

well coming home a rain storm delayed our flight 5 hours.

they could have taxied this plane down I-95 and got us home sooner.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times
We're in our 9th year of retirement (currently ages 65 & 68). We had no international travel experience pre-retirement. To date: 24 international trips, 2 years of episodic RV travel in the US and southern Canada, Hawaii and plans for more international jaunts to come.

Our initial travel kitty has been holding up better than expected so we'll keep on trucking internationally until it is exhausted. We do intermittent short term car trips and 4 week snow birding in the southeast (previously did that in Costa Rica for a number of years).

So far - we've never had a major travel hassle - fingers crossed!

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 04-27-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement