Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by great discussion View Post
How about Costa Rica or Ecuador? Can we live well in places like that for $2000 a month? Or could we have a similar standard of living in a place like Ocala FL or other low cost of living southern town? Please advise.
Having live in three other countries, compliments of Uncle Sam, I can tell you that living in some overseas locations can be cheaper than living in some places in the states. However, especially in the global economy, that can be predicated on the assumption that you will live like the "natives" do and that may not be your cup-o-tea. And there are prices to pay - language, medical care, potential immigration barriers to years-long sojourn, cost of travel to visit friends and relatives in CONUS, new customs to learn and deal with, unstable governments, crime, corruption and graft, dietary changes and much, much more.

Just a few things to think about and seriously consider. Ya know, all things on balance, the good ol' US of A ain't such a bad place and there are plenty of low cost places to settle with great qualities of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTW: 90% of the responses you get on C-D retirement forum are form people who have no interest / desire / need to economize and move overseas.. The C-D posters are those with enough time to post due to having a Gravy Train pension / retirement.

There are A LOT of very bitter souls here. (many ex fed / state workers)
As both a former federal worker and a retired state worker I can tell you that the most bitter souls are those with pension and retirement benefits envy as exemplified by the above post. Gravy train my ass. And in case it's escaped you, most of us worked real hard to achieve what we have now.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-29-2015 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:13 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
How about Costa Rica or Ecuador? Can we live well in places like that for $2000 a month? Or could we have a similar standard of living in a place like Ocala FL or other low cost of living southern town? Please advise.
If you have a time machine, don't sell that because you're going to need it if you want to live affordably in Costa Rica. Set the Wayback Machine for 25 years ago and you should be set.

Many people have asked the question you're asking. For some, what it boils down to is healthcare. You can get Social Security as an ex-pat. But you can't get Medicare.

This is part of the reason so many people recommend not leaving the U.S.

I hear Ocala is lovely. Thoroughbred country. Pick up a part-time job or start a small business and you could add $1000/month or more to your income. Volunteer at a food bank or join a food co-op and cut your costs.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
After being laid off my job of over 25 years and getting the bad news that the job market for professional people is lousy if you are pushing 60, my desire for a new career type job is slowly going away.

My wife and I just may retire on shoe string until we can collect Social Security in a few years.

We figure we can liquidate all our assets by selling our home and lots of our possessions and come out with enough money that we can live on $2000 a month between us by taking an annual 5% distribution. It is not much money but maybe we can do it in a small town or maybe overseas.

Costa Rica is not particularly cheap but Ecuador may work. Chiang Mai, Thailand is very inexpensive and has a lot of great qualities...I would probably go there if I wanted to early retire on the cheap. Another option if you want 1st world and save is Spain. Health care and living costs are significantly less than most of the USA.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
2Bdrm / 2 Bthrm Mobile Home in Active 55+ Community

Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
After being laid off my job of over 25 years and getting the bad news that the job market for professional people is lousy if you are pushing 60, my desire for a new career type job is slowly going away.

My wife and I just may retire on shoe string until we can collect Social Security in a few years.

We figure we can liquidate all our assets by selling our home and lots of our possessions and come out with enough money that we can live on $2000 a month between us by taking an annual 5% distribution. It is not much money but maybe we can do it in a small town or maybe overseas.

Jump on over to he General Moving Board. People are having breakdowns trying to move across town, let alone to another country

Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Jump on over to he General Moving Board. People are having breakdowns trying to move across town, let alone to another country
That's sad. Of course, moving from Sacramento, California 2,000 miles to the Ozarks is like moving to a different country.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you have a time machine, don't sell that because you're going to need it if you want to live affordably in Costa Rica. Set the Wayback Machine for 25 years ago and you should be set.

Many people have asked the question you're asking. For some, what it boils down to is healthcare.

>>>>You can get Social Security as an ex-pat. But you can't get Medicare. <<<<<<

This is part of the reason so many people recommend not leaving the U.S.

I hear Ocala is lovely. Thoroughbred country. Pick up a part-time job or start a small business and you could add $1000/month or more to your income. Volunteer at a food bank or join a food co-op and cut your costs.
reps, fluffy, I did not know this

Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As both a former federal worker and a retired state worker I can tell you that the most bitter souls are those with pension and retirement benefits envy as exemplified by the above post. Gravy train my ass. And in case it's escaped you, most of us worked real hard to achieve what we have now.
The flip side is true as well - many people who did work very hard don't have much in the way of pension, either. One of the companies I worked for got raided as part of a buyout - no pension for the 10 years I worked there. So, sure, you did work hard to get that pension, but don't forget that there are many people who worked just as hard and don't have that fallback.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
yeah we all know how hard federal and state workers work. give me a break.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
reps, fluffy, I did not know this
That's also why many retirees take out supplemental health insurance when traveling to another country. I remember my parents taking supplemental health insurance while traveling to Europe. If Medicare is your primary insurance, I don't believe it pays anything outside of USA. Also, if you have other insurance, such as Blue Cross, double-check that as well. My Dad got sick in Mexico, he had to pay up front and get reimbursed by BC when he returned. Then, the had problems getting a translated copy of the medical records Come on, its just Spanish! Dad said he would have his then HS daughter -- me-- who got A+++ in Spanish, to translate it, but no, I wasn't a certified translator! I forget how that issue resolved, but be aware health insurance is a major issue when out of the USA and make sure you have your facts straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement