Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:08 PM

26 posts, read 22,762 times

Advertisements

I retired April 1 after 36 1/2 years. (co-op college student right out of high school). My husband is still working. I've been working on my personal "honey-do" list, but really need ideas for getting out and being with people! Unfortunately, I'm not a real outgoing person, so I don't have friends other than the people I used to work with. SAD...I know! Any suggestions for how I meet friends or things I can do I know I sound pitiful...but I'm really a normal person trying to get used to my new routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Check out VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins
Join a book club, train a dog and certify it for therapy and you can visit hospitals, schools, etc., see what is offered for seniors in your area (line dancing, mahjong, bridge,etc.) Join the YMCA and take a water aerobics class.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Wolf View Post
Any suggestions for how I meet friends or things I can do I know I sound pitiful...but I'm really a normal person trying to get used to my new routine.
No, you don't sound pitiful at all; you sound like you are trying to find your place in this new world of retirement. I am 4 years away from retirement, but have been thinking about this myself.

My immediate suggestions, in no particular order:
Join a book club- see if your local library has any reading groups.
Offer to help a local animal shelter with their office work or to spend time cuddling kittens.
If you like art, take a class at a local museum, or ask about docent training
Use your skills to tutor, read to children at the local library, be a big sister
Take an adult continuing education class- try something outside your comfort level, or something you are interested in, e.g. a cooking class, crafts, carpentry, gardening
Volunteer with your local garden club
Find a way to use your interests and talents
Volunteer to be a guide at a local state park

The possibilities are endless, and something as simple as a book club may lead to making a new friend or finding a new interest.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:59 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Did this not occur to you as you were planning on when to retire?

Old 04-30-2015, 01:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
Check out meetup.com. They usually have a variety of social activities.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:05 PM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Maybe a nice camera to start out with if you like birds and wildlife.
With digital cams you get instant results.

Not retired yet but have taken a ton of hummingbird and other bird pictures.
You can even get free editing software and punch up your pictures.
Gives a great excuse to get out and about.

I also became very involved with my church congregation.
Tons of volunteer work and church activities now and in the future.
I became a deacon after joining my church in less than a year.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
That is a hard one as no idea what you enjoy doing. I say the easiest is joining some group who does things in community to get beyond work relationships. I was always the opposite as I mostly have friend I never worked with that developed over time by interest beyond work. but the there is no reason if those at work where friends to not continue the relationship really. We all meet close friends one way or another. I have always said I have friend and then I have close friends ;the difference being the bond we developed overtime and of course my closest :my wife.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Wolf View Post
I retired April 1 after 36 1/2 years. (co-op college student right out of high school). My husband is still working. I've been working on my personal "honey-do" list, but really need ideas for getting out and being with people! Unfortunately, I'm not a real outgoing person, so I don't have friends other than the people I used to work with. SAD...I know! Any suggestions for how I meet friends or things I can do I know I sound pitiful...but I'm really a normal person trying to get used to my new routine.
It's good that you recognize this issue about meeting people. I recognized the same thing myself but was prepared because I play golf and tennis, so those two sports automatically are ways to meet new people and keep some social relationships going.

I always tell people to make sure they have hobbies before retiring or make sure they get actively involved with learning new hobbies when they retire otherwise they'll go stir crazy with their sudden ample free time.

One could get depressed from the lack of social contact and no things to do (other than work).

Learn new hobbies is my recommendation. Attack them w/ a passion.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Thank you so much for this link, Ellwood. System wouldn't let me rep you again. I registered on the web site. This just might make me reconsider to where I will spend my retirement years. There are a whole bunch of volunteer opportunities out there, some of them in areas that I have experience/talent.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Senior center. They have lots of activities.

And they go places on a small bus.
Sometimes overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement