Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,755,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
anything can happen . that is why we did our best to mitigate the damages both with the best medical insurance coverage we could get and a partnership plan for long term care with our state.

we use a small percentage of the returns we get on those assets to protect the assets themselves as best we can . even then nothing is ever perfect.

but i put the most comprehensive plan i could come up with that we could afford in place for both what if we live , as well as what if we die .
Exactly! -- We've done the same ... it's hoping for the best, but, planning for the worst. If things work-out, then good! -- If things don't work-out, then plan B comes into effect to protect one's spouse and perhaps leave something for the kids (life insurance, long-term care plan, death benefits on annuity, life trust, etc).

Everyone dies and for them, the amount of time they spent in retirement, no longer matters. In our case, I retired early at 61 and did and have done a great deal of travel etc. since then ... but, still in great health 7-years later with no major health or financial problems on the horizon...so, 'hoping for the best' is working-out.

The cases of financial disasters (retirement and other) that I've witnessed are primarily among those who simply 'hoped for the best' --- even when 'unexpected things happened' (which they always do). My wife's BIL (now), for example, was married for many years and his wife retired with a significant pension. But, then, she died a couple of years later ... with NO insurance (and he is a professional tax accountant) -- Ultimately, he lost the house and went back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:22 PM

105,888 posts, read 107,860,524 times
successful people surround themselves with other successful people ..

I know I frequent some early retirement forums and mimic and learn from those much smarter than I am .

I really do not search out retirement failure forums.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM

768 posts, read 714,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My sister is going to be in that boat.
No retirement savings, no pension. Says she's just going to "work forever".
She lives to shop and could be the poster girl for the "American Consumer"

I figure she'll have to move in with me as SS alone will just not cut it and so am planning accordingly.
Wow! That's extremely generous of you! None of my siblings have prepared themselves for their later years either. But I have no plans to help them. They chose to spend everything throughout their adult lives, including a rather hefty inheritance we all gained from our aunt. I chose to be careful with what I earned, saved & invested as well as prepared legally for the future & provide for my children & grandchild as best I can. As much as I don't want to see my siblings struggle, I can't justify supporting them because they were so reckless. Plus, there are four of them. I doubt I could afford them all anyway.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Wow! That's extremely generous of you! None of my siblings have prepared themselves for their later years either. But I have no plans to help them. They chose to spend everything throughout their adult lives, including a rather hefty inheritance we all gained from our aunt. I chose to be careful with what I earned, saved & invested as well as prepared legally for the future & provide for my children & grandchild as best I can. As much as I don't want to see my siblings struggle, I can't justify supporting them because they were so reckless. Plus, there are four of them. I doubt I could afford them all anyway.
We grew up as friends as well as sisters. And we've lived together before for 2 years so I already know that we mesh ok as adults.

My next home will be a new build. I'll just build a 3/1 instead of a 2/1 (plan to have 1 really nice bathroom rather than 2 regular bathrooms).

Old 05-07-2015, 04:06 PM

768 posts, read 714,416 times
Quote:
We grew up as friends as well as sisters. And we've lived together before for 2 years so I already know that we mesh ok as adults.

My next home will be a new build. I'll just build a 3/1 instead of a 2/1 (plan to have 1 really nice bathroom rather than 2 regular bathrooms).
Again, very generous of you. May I suggest considering building 1 1/2 bathrooms. As I get older, when I've got to to, I've got to go now! Lol! Your sister is lucky to have you. If she's anything like you, I'm sure your lives will be full of happiness & contentment.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:30 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,316,149 times
Quote:

Please---have 2 bathrooms, or at least 1.5 baths. Otherwise, there's ZERO resale value!

Also, that second bath goes a long ways towards reducing stress/tension between the two of you. Regardless how well you get along, you are sisters, etc, you just don't realize how your habits change as you get older. I am currently rening a 2 bdr, 1.5 bath with just my dh, but that extra half bath makes a difference. Especialy when he sits in there and reads

Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Please---have 2 bathrooms, or at least 1.5 baths. Otherwise, there's ZERO resale value!

Also, that second bath goes a long ways towards reducing stress/tension between the two of you. Regardless how well you get along, you are sisters, etc, you just don't realize how your habits change as you get older. I am currently rening a 2 bdr, 1.5 bath with just my dh, but that extra half bath makes a difference. Especialy when he sits in there and reads
The area I'm looking in has plenty of 2/1 and 3/1 homes.
I'm not worried about resale value.

I grew up in a family of 7..5 kids and we had 1 bathroom.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,843,313 times
Quote:
The area I'm looking in has plenty of 2/1 and 3/1 homes.
I'm not worried about resale value.

I grew up in a family of 7..5 kids and we had 1 bathroom.
I imagine the 2/1 and 3/1 homes are all older, say, 25 years or more? They aren't still building those, are they? Just curious.

We had two adults, two kids, one bathroom in the 1950's when that was common - didn't think much of it at the time, but I sure wouldn't want to go back to those days.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,222,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
successful people surround themselves with other successful people ..

I know I frequent some early retirement forums and mimic and learn from those much smarter than I am .

I really do not search out retirement failure forums.
And yet, we are both here reading the thread. Guess it just proves people love a good train wreck!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 PM

105,888 posts, read 107,860,524 times
ha ha ha ha .... i was really referring to another poster who said they read threads with disaster stories as an example of what not to do .

i don't see them as useful in that respect at all. you can't do anything about it if your number is up.

but you certainly can learn a whole lot more about living from more positive threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement