Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

There are SO many knowledgeable folks on here about Social Security I was hoping you might give me some guidance.

My sister is in hospice care now, 58 yrs old with stage 4 esophageal cancer. She is currently on FMLA leave from her work, but receiving NO income at all (needless to say, all her sick/annual leave have been long gone). (So I GUESS that makes her medically retired).

We are trying to get her a SSDI claim started to help her out with expenses, because she is living on 1K per month (from her husband who has passed) and with no income other than that, struggling to keep her head about water. Her daughter and my husband and I are paying everything else. Her FMLA runs out in Jul, but she MUST stay on it in order for her "employee life insurance and her medical insurance" coverage.

We called the local Social Security office and I TRIED to set up an apt for her, but they said "walk in's only". Waiting time here is brutal, probably 3-4 hours to get seen. She went before she was so sick she had totally stopped working, but they told her could not help her until NO employment income.

Is there ANY way to get a claim started for her and is there ANY form of expedited or immediate assistance for those on hospice and near the end. I doubt she will be with us more than then next 6-8 weeks and I feel optimistic with that call.

If there is something I can do to help her, PLEASE let me know!!! I am so worried to drag her down there, expose her to everyone sitting there waiting to be seen only to find out she will probably not live long enough to get any assistance at all....I can see that just taking what is left out of her. I am also terrified she will sit there a couple hours and say "I can't do this anymore" and need to go home without having been seen.

I appreciate ANY guidance you might be able to give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
We filed for SSDI for my husband online.

Social Security Disability Benefits - Online Application Information

Old 05-13-2015, 01:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Thanks so much! She does not have internet, but since I am home for a few days (or until she needs me there again) I will see what I can do to help her. I appreciate. your help!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:01 PM

505 posts, read 716,666 times
When my SIL was in hospice we found the social worker at hospice to be very helpful. Is there one at the facility she is in. They guided my brother thru the whole process.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:03 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
When my SIL was in hospice we found the social worker at hospice to be very helpful. Is there one at the facility she is in. They guided my brother thru the whole process.
Absolutely! The social workers are a Godsend.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:52 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
She has what is referred to as a TERI case (terminal illness). As such, her claim should be flagged and expedited.

The absolute best way to speed this up is to personally submit the medical evidence along with the application. I would also write TERI CASE across the top of the application for good measure. (Not necessary but sure as heck may help.)

If this doesn't work, contact your sister's Congressional representative. Each office has a liaison that will contact SSA and your sis's claim will move to the top of the "pile".

Old 05-13-2015, 11:51 PM

39 posts, read 36,945 times
I had to finally get a lawyer, but I am thinking that her case should be expediated due to her illness. Folks gave you good advice & it took a long time with a lawyervbut it is an idea if needed.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
I have known several people with advanced esophageal cancer. They got SSD almost immediately after filing. She will not have to go through appeals and years of waiting.
You can file online.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Default Compassionate Allowances List

Hello Paka -- Here is a link for the Compassionate Allowances List for Social Security. Compassionate Allowances Website Home Page. Her diagnosis is on the list, so she should get approved pretty quick. Continuing under the FMLA program through her employer could possibly be questionable, just because those benefits are specifically for employees reasonably expected to return to work. I am sorry you are having to go through all this stuff at this point in time, it is not easy.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:01 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
A social worker is a great asset at this point. She also needs to get medicaid, paratransit, and SNAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement