Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM

625 posts, read 623,610 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions of retired folks living in Florida & Texas and other similar climates.

Husband and I have been discussing Florida as retirement location (in a few years). We like the ocean, scuba diving, etc. DISLIKE: Cold weather, snow, ice.

We've been considering the Venice area though are not set on that. We will not have to work, but would want some options in terms of entertainment, culture, etc.

We know that the heat & humidity in Florida can be oppressive (May-Nov?)… as it likely would be in most of the Gulf Coast states.

I'd be interested in hearing other recommendations, experiences from people living the retired life.

We like Texas for lots of reasons. Florida for lots of reasons. No family pulling us one way or the other. We're open to consider somewhere else altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM

708 posts, read 720,815 times
We have not retired yet but are going to soon in the Cape Coral area. We love weather and location. Close to lots of places and things to do. 90 miles from Tampa, 60 miles to Venice to Clearwater. 40 miles to Naples, 140 to Miami
and 160 to Orlando. Also 125 to Ft Lauderdale if you want to cruise. Nice airport right here flies out to every where.
Daily flights to Cancun and Caribbean area. Ft Myers Beach is beautiful. Lots of great restaurants in the area.
Love all the palm trees. Cost of living is very low.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I'm in Texas and fell in love with Rockport.
That's my next destination.

Rockport, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Hill Country TX (near Fredricksburg) works for me (as a retreat), But I keep a home in PNW for summers. (and perpetual water availability... 200 days drizzle / yr))

'things to do' are quite different between TX and FL.
I would not be keen on either Full Time.

Why not just go to Virgin Islands?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
We've been in Venice for two winters now. Arrived in Oct and will be here until mid-June. Weather in October through May has been fine. A few hot days and a couple of humid, but to say it's hot from May to Nov is not really accurate. We were here at the end of Sept the year we bought the house and it was hot and humid, so I know it gets worse than the weather is right now. At worse I would say June to Sept may be hot and humid.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Coastal Florida gets breezy 80s most of the year. In mid summer there are some 90s. In winter some cooler days. But days in the 80s are never far away.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I would say June to Sept may be hot and humid.
I agree. (May and Nov are not so bad.)
Having lived in TX after Florida...it is a toss up!
So much coastline in FL...a lot of fun things to see and do there...and yes love those palms.
I'm NO help...but right now I have never seen such weather in TX...look today...the entire state
is bring rained on again, hail? Probably.
(Just talked with someone in San Antonio where I lived...
rain is bad!)

I would have to know about taxes in each state first if retiring.

Love Texas people, very friendly.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 AM

708 posts, read 720,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree. (May and Nov are not so bad.)
Having lived in TX after Florida...it is a toss up!
So much coastline in FL...a lot of fun things to see and do there...and yes love those palms.
I'm NO help...but right now I have never seen such weather in TX...look today...the entire state
is bring rained on again, hail? Probably.
(Just talked with someone in San Antonio where I lived...
rain is bad!)

I would have to know about taxes in each state first if retiring.

Love Texas people, very friendly.
I will agree with Texas people comment. They are very friendly at least service people. Done lots of traveling with my job over the year and Texas people are a great example how all people should treat others.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM

497 posts, read 571,206 times
I have lived in both states - currently in Texas. I like Texas (central TX) better because the land itself changes from the eastern part of the state, to the south, to the west, and even due north. Florida was so much the same. I felt I had to leave the state to see something other than palm trees. I lived on the Atlantic side - walking distance to beach. Enjoyed it for a few years but became very bored doing the same activities each day.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
I've lived in FL and TX too. I lived in FL for 20 years and overall I prefer FL. I preferred the weather, the entertainment, the restaurants, the people, the lifestyle. The way property taxes are capped is better in FL. The homestead exemption is better in FL.

I've lived in TX for 8 years. In TX the medical care is better. There is a lower crime rate. Other than these two things, I don't find anything better in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement