Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:51 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting idea: Share the Golden Girl life « Bankrate, Inc.

Have any of you tried this? Can it actually work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
There was a C-D thread on this a while back. You'd find lots of comments there.

I don't think I'd want to live with other women. Just too many areas (in living together) for risk. Maybe men, if they stay in their rooms and be quiet and mow the lawn and take out the trash.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:32 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There was a C-D thread on this a while back. You'd find lots of comments there.

I don't think I'd want to live with other women. Just too many areas (in living together) for risk. Maybe men, if they stay in their rooms and be quiet and mow the lawn and take out the trash.
When I was much younger I had my share of room mates, male and female. Some of those were in assigned housing so, unless there were really bad personality clashes, etc., that's who we shared with. I never had any bad experiences but some partied too much. lol Nowadays, I have to say "No" to room mates. I value my privacy, peace and quiet way too much. One of my nephews called and asked if I would consider renting out my guest BR to his daughter. My other niece isn't living here anymore, thank goodness. I told him I would "think about it" but so far it's still "No". I really don't want to live with a 19 year old!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Since I was three years old, when my sister was born, there's hardly been any time when I've had a room of my own, let alone a home of my own. There's always been a sibling, or a roommate, or a husband, or one or more of my kids living with me.

My husband died in early 2014, and although I miss him terribly, I have to say I love living by myself. (Well, there's the cat, but I'm not counting her, as she's pretty quiet and undemanding.) i'm an introvert, and I enjoy my own company. I'd rather be in a studio apartment by myself than a large house with housemates.

I hope never to have to have a roommate or a housemate again.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
I see the advantages of some type of communal housing for seniors...as an introvert I would have a hard time with roommates though. Perhaps senior type apartments would work for me, with shared common space for recreation and optional shared meals...

Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I loved it during college (sharing a house), and there are maybe a couple of people I've known over the years I could see trying it with in retirement, but generally I would not want to do this unless I had no other choice. You would think folks on a tight budget would try really hard to get along and make such an arrangement work, so they could have a nicer place to live, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
I too am someone who really needs a lot of alone time. I do like to be around others just not all the time. I have always lived alone and think it would be really hard on anyone to live with me, either as a roommate or spouse or... Even the cats think I'm hard to live with (when I don't feed them their meal of preference or let them go out). I think though the idea is good especially as you get older, it would be nice to have others around for support. That is one of the reasons why I chose a 55+ mobile home park. You have your privacy but others are close by if needed (and many of them thrive on knowing what everyone else is doing so they notice when they haven't seen you

Old 05-26-2015, 01:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I'm too set in my ways. It was bad enough having housemates a few times over the years and I would want one color curtains while they'd like another. Or wanting the LR arranged the way I want it so it's comfortable for ME. Memories of going to the fridge for your favorite food and someone took it.

Maybe a huge house cut up into little apartments, each with its own kitchen. I guess I could share a LR by now but not a kitchen. The people would already have to be good friends beforehand--no surprises once you move in.

Come to think of it, no. I can't picture it.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
I could do it and plan on it.

I get along with almost everyone. I was in the military for years and am used to all kinds of living arrangements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement