Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Can I Do
Convert it all to a ROTH and pay a really gigantic tax, more medicare, etc etc etc? But then have almost zero income thereafter. 0 0%
Convert to a ROTH is stages before age 70.5? 7 41.18%
Convert smaller amounts for years? 7 41.18%
Some kind of annuity? 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,098,586 times

Advertisements

If you live in New York and receive a pension that's paid by the state of New York, you don't have to pay state income tax on your pension income.

In New York, all Social Security retirement benefits are exempt from taxation. Income from retirement accounts or a private pension is deductible up to $20,000.

- - - - - - -

I totally dont get it if the above is true.

That said, I have been told to convert my TDA into a NYC Roth. Take out $10K a year from the TDA, pay $2K in Federal taxes, and deposit the rest in the NYC Roth, which will be tax free when I withdraw.

I totally dont get doing this either, but reading this thread makes it seem like something worth doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 PM

6,812 posts, read 5,127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I was thinking the same. Just curious about others' thoughts. I think 24% would be as high as I'd go also. And I'd try not to go that high. Just have to see when I get closer. I'll be retiring right after the Trump tax brackets expire (I prefer to just call it a tax plan, I know too many people who's taxes went UP to just naively call them tax cuts...anyway....) So who knows what the bracket limits will be. Regardless, 25% will be my cut off for converting.
Also, be sure to consider any impact that these conversions might have on your Medicare B premium (2-year look back).

Old 01-25-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The real tax torpedo occurs when your spouse dies. Our income consisted mostly of Social Security and RMDs from IRAs and 401(k) plans. We filed MFJ. DH dies. My income is substantially the same since I must continue the RMD's.
A very good point. I started using my company’s Roth 401k (instead of deductible 401k) at age 54 because of this, and also the SS tax torpedo. I should have made the change a few years before that, but better late than never. The Roth will be left to grow, and be tapped only after the taxable IRAs are empty.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:02 PM

13,137 posts, read 7,625,672 times
P #141
Quote:

Can other's share theirs, please?

Glad you can skip an RMD year, I bet?

I've got about 5 years until retirement at 65. (Single, no kids, paid off house)
At 65, I'll have one pension of 19,200, another about 5,600 a year.
May hold off on Soc Sec. since FRA isn't until 67.
At 72 estimated RMD 40,000. (from tax deferred accounts)
(and I'll have non-retirement savings, and a small Roth IRA)

But a lot can change in 5-12 years...tax laws, investment regulations, etc. As of right now it looks like I'll be in the same general tax bracket.

And from 65 - 72 I won't be able to move THAT much to of my Trad IRA anyway.....So I don't know if it's worth worrying about the "torpedo" or not.

I just increased my 401K to keep in the 12% tax bracket. That jump from 12-22% is a kihller.
I/we did some preliminary tax planning in 2008 (58/62), 2012 (62/64), and again in 2015 (65/68). Current age 70/73.

RE: RMD planning.
We stressed Roth401ks & RothIRA's in our 50's, giving up some current tax year benefit in favor of longterm.
We converted some IRA to Roth, a couple of times.
We bought deferred GLWB annuities with IRA, Roth, taxable $.
We liquidated some IRA, most of Roth, and some taxable to buy income & depreciating property.

Federal 2019: 5% effective tax; 10% marginal tax. Filing1040, D & E and a bunch of schedules.
Annuity GLWB Income qualifies for RMD. We just took, Jan 2021, 202x contract year-annuity income in a lump sum and I/we not sure whether to use it for 2020 or for 2021 tax years. I/we unsure if we will take 2021 annuity income because I am not versed in the sunset of Trump's "tax cuts"/Cares Act 2020 (???)

We live far below our income and thus we can manipulate and optimize the Income. We have a lot of headroom to the next tax bracket. No state income taxes. Standard deduction. We use a CPA.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:37 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,212,342 times
I suppose the answer is: "it depends," but does it make sense to delay Soc. Sec. and tap the Trad IRA? (if you need to, say between 65 and 72)

Does that help lower the effect of the torpedo?
Does delaying SS make the inevitable better or worse -- or it doesn't matter much? Six on one hand, half a dozen on the other.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:45 AM

107,258 posts, read 109,611,540 times
Quote:
I suppose the answer is: "it depends," but does it make sense to delay Soc. Sec. and tap the Trad IRA? (if you need to, say between 65 and 72)

Does delaying SS make the inevitable better or worse -- or it doesn't matter much? Six on one hand, half a dozen on the other.
Each situation is different ....some may be able to delay ss and spend down their iras by the standard deduction tax free for 8 years ....that can be hundreds of thousands of tax free dollars in ira income for a couple .

When we helped beta test Fidelity’s in house software for optimizing social security while it found the highest payments , the fact it did not interface with your personal situation and taxes had them pull it from use.

There is no one size fits all answer

Old 01-26-2021, 08:24 AM

404 posts, read 383,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
A very good point. I started using my company’s Roth 401k (instead of deductible 401k) at age 54 because of this, and also the SS tax torpedo. I should have made the change a few years before that, but better late than never. The Roth will be left to grow, and be tapped only after the taxable IRAs are empty.
You probably are aware of this, but in case others are not - the Roth 401k IS subject to RMD's at 72 whereas a Roth outside of a 401k is not. You may want to rollover that Roth 401k to an outside Roth before you hit RMD age.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
You probably are aware of this, but in case others are not - the Roth 401k IS subject to RMD's at 72 whereas a Roth outside of a 401k is not. You may want to rollover that Roth 401k to an outside Roth before you hit RMD age.
Good point. Yes, I already have a Roth IRA and will do exactly as you describe once I’ve retired. It’s already more than five years old.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately this is an “it depends” answer. IMO, delaying SS is a good strategy for many people. This is my own plan. It’s the mixing of SS benefits with other income that creates the torpedo brackets.

First step is to understand combined income. This is simply 50% of your SS benefit plus all other income (Roth withdrawals don’t count, but non-taxable interest is included in the calculation). If you are able to stay below the specified limit for combined income ($25k for individual return, $32k for joint return) you will not trigger the torpedo.

Once you hit the torpedo bracket, every additional dollar of other income (say an IRA withdrawal) adds $1.85 of income to your AGI. This is what creates the higher phantom (i.e., torpedo) tax bracket. This process of adding $1.85 per dollar continues until all of the SS benefit gets consumed. Let’s say your SS benefit is $20k per year. Once you’ve hit the combined income threshold, every additional dollar you pull from the IRA “consumes” a dollar of that SS benefit and adds $1.85 to your AGI. So in this example, if enough money is pulled from the IRA you would ultimately add $17k (85% of $20k) to your AGI. At that point you will exit the torpedo bracket and all additional IRA withdrawals are taxed dollar for dollar as usual.

Finally, a few observations...

If you expect to be close to the combined limit, but over a bit, life really is not too bad. Let’s say you are over by $1000. That means you’re adding an extra $850 to your AGI. If that happens in the 12% bracket you are adding just $102 to your tax liability.

Delaying SS can be a good strategy if you are over the combined income limit, but your income is not high enough to have reached the top end of the torpedo bracket. Here you are adjusting the mix of income... more from SS and less from IRA withdrawals. Since SS is only counted at 50%, your combined income will be lower even if your total income is the same (as the case of not delaying SS).

The other scenario is if your other income is high enough that it’s not possible to avoid the entire torpedo bracket. Here it might make sense to do the opposite. If you take SS early with a smaller benefit, the amount of income subject to the torpedo bracket will be less.

Now the disclaimer. This is only looking at federal taxes. To make a good decision one also needs to consider state income taxes. Also, delaying SS changes the nature of your income... less exposure to markets assuming you keep your asset allocation the same.

That is the torpedo in its simplest form. If we add in LTCG or qualified dividends there are more scenarios.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention. Note that it is possible to exceed the combined limit, but have no tax liability. This will tend to happen in cases with a large SS benefit and small IRA withdrawal. Consider a single filer with $40k SS benefit and $10k in ordinary income. That results in a combined income of $30k, which is above the single filer threshold of $25k. However, the resulting AGI is less than the single-filer standard deduction.

Last edited by hikernut; 01-26-2021 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-26-2021, 12:34 PM

13,137 posts, read 7,625,672 times
IRA:
I play the stocks in my IRA.
No worries on cap gains/losses.

Go see a CPA, They have a slow period now until March 01.
charitable trusts, charities, MYGA, possible RE trusts(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement