Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Can I Do
Convert it all to a ROTH and pay a really gigantic tax, more medicare, etc etc etc? But then have almost zero income thereafter. 0 0%
Convert to a ROTH is stages before age 70.5? 7 41.18%
Convert smaller amounts for years? 7 41.18%
Some kind of annuity? 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,735,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCal View Post
Let's see what I will be giving up:
The financial considerations have been discussed above. With regard to the non-financial considerations, be assured that there is just as much funkiness going on wherever people move to as there was where people moved from, on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,034,167 times
^^ I know your entire question was based on a fairly specific "what if." But to my mind, anyone who has any substantial money in tax-deferred accounts...would/should likely also have money in NON tax deferred or emergency fund accounts. No? What are the chances that "the only source to fund it was this traditional IRA."

Quote:
I just did a little, "What if". I said, "What if I had an additional large expense in 2014. Something like $20,000 for medical expenses or something". And the only source to fund it was this traditional IRA. And I wanted to "Render onto Caesar the things that..." By that I mean withdraw enough from the IRA to cover the tax due on the withdrawal. Like paying the estimated tax when I make the withdrawal. This is what I found. To net $20,000 after taxes I would have to withdraw $71,000 from the IRA based on my 2014 tax return.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:43 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,091,146 times
That is where I am lacking. I have way too little non tax deferred savings besides a large Roth. I really can't save more than (and often, not even up to) the maximum of deferred to my 401k, plus my Roth, plus my wifes deductible IRA ($37k/yr) so I can't seem to get past a few months living expenses saved. After reading all this, I wonder if I should forego, as the OP said, some tax deferred savings, and just make it after tax, which I can roll once a year in to my Roth, while I still have the salary to do so, over the next 5 years...

Old 05-28-2015, 02:45 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,122,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
That is where I am lacking. I have way too little non tax deferred savings besides a large Roth. I really can't save more than (and often, not even up to) the maximum of deferred to my 401k, plus my Roth, plus my wifes deductible IRA ($37k/yr) so I can't seem to get past a few months living expenses saved. After reading all this, I wonder if I should forego, as the OP said, some tax deferred savings, and just make it after tax, which I can roll once a year in to my Roth, while I still have the salary to do so, over the next 5 years...
Once you retire you no longer have retirement, emergency, funds etc. You have money. The distinctions are the rate of taxation. Even non retirement accounts have tax consequences took,me a few years to get in the new time frame. As you start your after tax savings be mindful of creating long term capital gains and distinguishing dividend and interest income/gains. Remember in order to get 10k in usable money from your retirement account you might need to take out 13k.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM

That's basically why I specified saving after tax to my 401K, then rolling it over to a Roth each year. Maybe I don't understand something, but wouldn't the ideal retirement supplemental income (assuming the vast majority of it was sufficient to live on, already, as fixed income as in pension and SS) be entirely a Roth? That's sort of the side line point of this thread.

I mean, assuming you are (or will be) in a healthy 25% bracket because that's the job path and life you've already taken to your late 50's, then you are stuck (in a good way) at a higher than average income that you can always live down to or below, and be comfortable. I could retire tomorrow (well, actually in 8 months because of employer sponsored health through 65), with literally no problem what so ever. Based on all the "Retire early", "don't waste your time chained to desk" threads, I'm a fool for not planning on doing so.

But I like my job, and my own personal mindset is "I worked dam hard to get where I am, and these last 5 years will practically double my income for life. I personally WANT THAT!!" It's not greed, per se (or is it?), but the personally gratifying feeling of accomplishment, of "winning" the real FI lottery, at my level. To some FI is $200k/yr, some $100k, some $50k. To each their own. Mine is less than $200k and much more than $50k. And the fact that I wouldn't mind some of the benefits of being able to spend money on "extravagant" experiences (travel, etc) without worrying if I'm killing my future.

So, why does it make sense to take after tax money, and purchase Blue Chips to secure dividend income and LTCGs to get a 15% tax rate, instead of just purchasing the same (or higher/riskier) equities in a Roth and pay NO tax on it, ever?

You pay the same upfront tax on the basis. My income tax rate will not go down in retirement, once I hit 70. If I keep saving in just pre-tax, then I am forced by RMDs to take it when I may not want to. If my spouse dies, and I find myself single (and she's 5 years older than I, and has some issues), then my tax rate goes up significantly.

Am I not understanding something?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
That's basically why I specified saving after tax to my 401K, then rolling it over to a Roth each year. Maybe I don't understand something, but wouldn't the ideal retirement supplemental income (assuming the vast majority of it was sufficient to live on, already, as fixed income as in pension and SS) be entirely a Roth? That's sort of the side line point of this thread.

I mean, assuming you are (or will be) in a healthy 25% bracket because that's the job path and life you've already taken to your late 50's, then you are stuck (in a good way) at a higher than average income that you can always live down to or below, and be comfortable. I could retire tomorrow (well, actually in 8 months because of employer sponsored health through 65), with literally no problem what so ever. Based on all the "Retire early", "don't waste your time chained to desk" threads, I'm a fool for not planning on doing so.

But I like my job, and my own personal mindset is "I worked dam hard to get where I am, and these last 5 years will practically double my income for life. I personally WANT THAT!!" It's not greed, per se (or is it?), but the personally gratifying feeling of accomplishment, of "winning" the real FI lottery, at my level. To some FI is $200k/yr, some $100k, some $50k. To each their own. Mine is less than $200k and much more than $50k. And the fact that I wouldn't mind some of the benefits of being able to spend money on "extravagant" experiences (travel, etc) without worrying if I'm killing my future.

So, why does it make sense to take after tax money, and purchase Blue Chips to secure dividend income and LTCGs to get a 15% tax rate, instead of just purchasing the same (or higher/riskier) equities in a Roth and pay NO tax on it, ever?

You pay the same upfront tax on the basis. My income tax rate will not go down in retirement, once I hit 70. If I keep saving in just pre-tax, then I am forced by RMDs to take it when I may not want to. If my spouse dies, and I find myself single (and she's 5 years older than I, and has some issues), then my tax rate goes up significantly.

Sure what ever meets your goals and need. My comments were general in nature.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:28 PM

Is there ever the possibility of having a major medical cost and that offsetting increased RMD income?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM

76 posts, read 108,711 times
Quote:

Only because your yearly Roth contributions are limited. I put all I could in the Roth and the rest in an etrade account.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Yes, the contribution amount is limited to $6500, but I can contribute as much as I want after tax in to my 401k while I am still working, up to my 401k limit, and roll that amount over in to my Roth once a year.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCal View Post
Only because your yearly Roth contributions are limited. I put all I could in the Roth and the rest in an etrade account.
If you are able to make them at all. There are income limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement