Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
It takes me half a morning to put a bracelet on. Seriously, I feel like giving away my jewelry. The clasps are a pain. I use the arm of an upholstered chair to brace the circular part then I maneuver the hook with my other hand. So many things take longer now. As a little girl it was my job to thread my grandma's needle. Now I wish I had a little girl to do the finite things for me. All in all, I have good health and the eye doc says my vision is fine without glasses (except for reading) and I've no real complaints but then this isn't a Health Board, it's a Retirement Board, and I'm curious if a lot of 65+/- women still bother with jewelry. I also want to add how grateful I am that this minor issue is my crank for the day.
Oh, my mother is 91 and loves jewelry. She wears things that just slip on - bracelets and necklaces.

Of course nothing expensive, but she doesn't care, she just loves sparkly things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM

15,173 posts, read 12,343,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
was a med tech for 35+ yrs. I'm impressed! Are you sure you're not a detective?
LOL, considering your references to jewelry being caught on analyzers and somebody grabbing an earring off a phlebotomist drawing his blood, it's not too hard to deduce to someone familiar with the field. I'm a med tech too, retired from full time work after 40 years. I'm wondering if your reference to constant handwashing meant you worked in the Microbiology area? I'd have to agree that frequent handwashing would discourage wearing rings, especially, but I found that having to wear gloves almost
constantly did so too.

I came from PA, grew up there, went to school and worked there for several years, but I moved to Florida in 1976 and have been here ever since.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM

2,376 posts, read 4,896,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, considering your references to jewelry being caught on analyzers and somebody grabbing an earring off a phlebotomist drawing his blood, it's not too hard to deduce to someone familiar with the field. I'm a med tech too, retired from full time work after 40 years. I'm wondering if your reference to constant handwashing meant you worked in the Microbiology area? I'd have to agree that frequent handwashing would discourage wearing rings, especially, but I found that having to wear gloves almost
constantly did so too.

I came from PA, grew up there, went to school and worked there for several years, but I moved to Florida in 1976 and have been here ever since.
With all the OSHA stuff now you have to wash your hands every time you do anything including after each patient that you draw blood from. I can remember when I was in training that we pipetted by mouth and never wore gloves. Later on I managed to develop a nasty skin allergy to formaldehyde and couldn't wear the gloves. I discovered that they use formaldehyde in the processing of the latex to make the gloves. And it's amazing how many household products have it in, including cheaper dishwashing liquid. I was glad to be out of the field.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM

30,815 posts, read 16,433,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
With all the OSHA stuff now you have to wash your hands every time you do anything including after each patient that you draw blood from. I can remember when I was in training that we pipetted by mouth and never wore gloves. Later on I managed to develop a nasty skin allergy to formaldehyde and couldn't wear the gloves. I discovered that they use formaldehyde in the processing of the latex to make the gloves. And it's amazing how many household products have it in, including cheaper dishwashing liquid. I was glad to be out of the field.

yea-I only worked in small hospitals, in every dept, not just micro. Most gloves and tourniquits are latex free now. But there's not a lotion strong enough to keep your hands moist when you have to wash them that often.

I also remember pipetting by mouth, and reusing the tubes. Dump the blood out, wash and dry the tube and top. Put the top back on, suck the air out with a syringe and , voila, a reusable tube. Only did that in school of course. Pretty yukky when you think about it.

Boiling the glucoses and hoping the phone didn't ring before the timer went off. Spinning the hematocrits and hoping the phone didn't ring before the timer went off. Staining the Gram stains and hoping the phone didn't ring before the timer went off.

I could go on but those are some of the reasons I'm glad I'm retired.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,271,484 times
"I'm glad I'm retired because…"

1) By inclination, I could have been a non-working type all my life (had to work to support a family, etc., etc.), not having to do something or be somewhere for other people suits me quite well.

2) TIME - freedom to read/study/travel/perambulate and simply the ability of being able to mostly ignore the general hubris of living on my terms, is a gift from the gods.

Life in retirement is outstanding!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,289,798 times
Wow not even the OP could stay on topic which was / is.. I am glad I am retired because..
I dont have to get up until I want to ever again
I dont have to go to bed to get up and go to work ever again..
I moved to where its never cold never snows
I now live and play on the water everyday and have more toys than ever ..
We have more time 24/7/365 to do whatever we want to.. Like having fun in the sun..
Our Take Home pay is almost what it was when we both worked and now neither of us does..
I can now swim in my pool or take a Motorcycle ride or take out one of the boats 365 days a year..
and the list goes on and on and on...

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,289,798 times
what in the world does your post have to do with YOUR OWN TOPIC?? I am Glad I am Retired Because..[quote=ipoetry;39842082]It takes me half a morning to put a bracelet on. Seriously, I feel like giving away my jewelry. The clasps are a pain. I use the arm of an upholstered chair to brace the circular part then I maneuver the hook with my other hand. So many things take longer now. As a little girl it was my job to thread my grandma's needle. Now I wish I had a little girl to do the finite things for me. All in all, I have good health and the eye doc says my vision is fine without glasses (except for reading) and I've no real complaints but then this isn't a Health Board, it's a Retirement Board, and I'm curious if a lot of 65+/- women still bother with jewelry. I also want to add how grateful I am that this minor issue is my crank for the day.[/quote]

Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,359,746 times
I don't wear as much costume jewelry as before but I do wear my fine jewelry as often as I can justify doing so. My fine jewelry isn't showy though.

I have had trouble with some jewelry clasps for a long time. I have large fingers and the tiny fastenings are hard for me to work. I do notice that I am struggling more with my (pierced) earrings as well.

I also don't wear as much makeup as before. I think I've lost interest in it. But I do use some most of the time.

Priorities change as we age, I think. And maybe we become less patient?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,396,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
what in the world does your post have to do with YOUR OWN TOPIC?? I am Glad I am Retired Because..[quote=ipoetry;39842082]It takes me half a morning to put a bracelet on. Seriously, I feel like giving away my jewelry. The clasps are a pain. I use the arm of an upholstered chair to brace the circular part then I maneuver the hook with my other hand. So many things take longer now. As a little girl it was my job to thread my grandma's needle. Now I wish I had a little girl to do the finite things for me. All in all, I have good health and the eye doc says my vision is fine without glasses (except for reading) and I've no real complaints but then this isn't a Health Board, it's a Retirement Board, and I'm curious if a lot of 65+/- women still bother with jewelry. I also want to add how grateful I am that this minor issue is my crank for the day.
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't fit into your little nutshell of what you thought the post should be about.

I'm glad I'm retired so I don't have to deal with narrow people who won't allow for creativity or self expression.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,534,958 times
I'm glad I'm retired because...

Now I have time to get all the work done, that I couldn't do while I was working!

P.S. Wife's been asking me to help her put on jewelry since she was 25 and I was 27! I never could figure out all those little clasps and fasteners...sigh. Easier to buy them for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement