Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 02:47 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,250,392 times

Advertisements

I'm retired at 50 but honestly struggling on 1 income for the time being.

From a retirement fund perspective we are comfortable for the simple fact that we started as early as we could saving as much as we could in tax deferred accounts (virtually nothing in savings though). Add to this the fact that some of our jobs still payed a pension when we worked there and our retirement picture looks pretty good as long as we're not spending on travel and kids.

combining all of our retirement funds would put us close to the $1M mark but not quite there. Some of my assets throw dividend income of around $10k per year and hopefully the funds will continue to grow past the M mark.

Right now we are working on paying down our substantial credit card debt and I am looking for work to speed things along.

Have been retired for about 2.5 years and have really enjoyed not working so not looking forward to going back to work to pay some bills.

without the credit card bills, the one income would work out great for us.

We live frugally these days, buying items we need at thrift stores whenever possible. No cell phone contracts, no cable bills. Most of our debt is from travel and furnishing our new house.

I understand now that young people spend too much money on unnecessary things (some stuff from my own experience: big house, home theater, motorcycles, luxury cars, electronics, summer camp, day care, etc).

Travel is questionable. One one hand it's expensive to see the world. On the other hand, it expands your children's understanding of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:22 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You do not need very much to retire.
It depends on where you live and the desired lifestyle. Generally speaking, I agree. But some people really do have low incomes or made choices that can't be reversed that really do make early retirement impossible or nearly so.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
We did it by emulating my Dad. Buy low and sell high in real estate and equities. Also buy small houses that need primarily cosmetic improvements and then rent out or sell. Buy some equities for the dividends and just ride the highs and lows.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:27 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A family earning $25k here is well above the average household income level, regardless of how many children they are raising.
That sounds really low to me. No offense, but it's probably not a place I'd want to live.

But 25K for a single person in an average cost metro area whose house is paid for can be ok. I have a friend in this situation. He works part time for about 30K per year and his condo is paid for. It's not luxury living, but it's definitely not poverty, either.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:23 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post

A couple of friends retired around 55 from teaching. Again, full pensions and medical insurance. All raised children and put them through college.
Full pension as in the same as their salary and full medical meaning they didn't have to pay premiums?

I will be able to retire from teaching at 55, but the state system pays 51% of our highest three years. Medical insurance for retired teachers costs the retiree between $500 and $550 for the individual, depending on the plan.

Last edited by tgbwc; 06-06-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 07:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
We were both working and always tried to save one income. We retired at 50. The trick is not how much you make but how much you spend.
This is so true.
Here is an extreme example that is happening right now:

We are revamping some scheduling issues.
Most people involved make $20k-35k a month.
The schedule revamp will make it so one month you will make maybe $3-6k less but for two months you will make it up.
We're having to revamp the pay structure because some people can't take a pay cut for one month despite making it up the next two months.
My opinion? You are doing something VERY WRONG if you can't handle a little variability month to month (if the year winds up being the same).
Why can't they handle it?
They are spending every last freakin' dime.
Not smart.
Doubt they will be retiring early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement