Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times

Advertisements

I'd love to have some 1948 corn, to see how different it was. There were no varieties, corn was corn, and none came from Florida in February. It had a short shelf life, you had to eat it the same day it was picked, for it to be tasty and juicy. There was a well-fed worm happily munching away in almost every unpoisoned ear, that mom had to flick out with a knife when shucking the corn. It seemed yellower, and you had to chew it longer, and then floss. The silks were darker and more robust.

Seems to me like they were 25c a dozen in season. I bought some today at the supermarket at 5/$1.00, which is as cheap as it ever gets nowadays. I don't eat corn with the same gusto I had back then, and I think it is now excessively sweet, some varieties almost candy-like. It used to be a vegetable.

In some places, I think, country people ate what we called "horse corn", which was feed corn, and if picked early enough, were called "roasting ears" and humans ate them, but I don't think I ever had any, since I grew surrounded by sweet corn for canneries.

I've eaten street-corner corn in places like Romania and Guatemala, where there is not the kind of market demand that occurs in the USA, and specialized hybrids have not been developed for maximum yield under localized conditions. I suspect corn for humans in those countries is probably still pretty much like it was in the USA in the 40s and 50s, before the Americans started messing with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:12 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,463,051 times
If you ever get a chance try Mirai sweet corn, it is the absolute BEST tasting sweet corn I have ever tasted. I was lucky enough to live within a 20 mile drive to the place that was growing it in northern Illinois.
Twin Garden Farms

Old 06-06-2015, 12:36 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,123,693 times
I love corn on the cob. I grew up in central NY state. Plenty of side-of-the road places to stop and buy corn and other veggies. When Dad sat down to eat corn he ate it going around the ear instead of back and forth (like a typewriter!). Our cat Skippy would jump up on Dad's shoulder and start nibbling on the other end. It was pretty funny and amazing that Dad tolerated it. He loved animals.
Once when I visited a friend at her camp her mother was soaking unshucked corn in salt water (I think overnight) and then would put them on open fire place (outdoor). Roasted corn was sooo good.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,195,735 times
I grew up in Illinois and I remember taking Sunday afternoon drives into the country and stopping at farm stands to buy sweet corn, and yes, there was a time when you could buy it for 25 cents a dozen. It was delicious!!!.....We live out in Arizona now and the sweet corn does not taste the same. These days we always steam our corn in the husk, either in the microwave or on the grill. I do prefer the Midwestern grown sweet corn.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
Best corn on cob is the corn thats picked and eaten the same day when its in season which up here in Montreal area is August into early September, For the rest of the year its back to canned corn which isnt too bad or those plastic wrapped ears of corn in the grocery store that usually taste like cardboard..

Old 06-06-2015, 03:14 PM

4,545 posts, read 3,771,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'd love to have some 1948 corn, to see how different it was. There were no varieties, corn was corn, and none came from Florida in February. It had a short shelf life, you had to eat it the same day it was picked, for it to be tasty and juicy. There was a well-fed worm happily munching away in almost every unpoisoned ear, that mom had to flick out with a knife when shucking the corn. It seemed yellower, and you had to chew it longer, and then floss. The silks were darker and more robust.

Seems to me like they were 25c a dozen in season. I bought some today at the supermarket at 5/$1.00, which is as cheap as it ever gets nowadays. I don't eat corn with the same gusto I had back then, and I think it is now excessively sweet, some varieties almost candy-like. It used to be a vegetable.

In some places, I think, country people ate what we called "horse corn", which was feed corn, and if picked early enough, were called "roasting ears" and humans ate them, but I don't think I ever had any, since I grew surrounded by sweet corn for canneries.

I've eaten street-corner corn in places like Romania and Guatemala, where there is not the kind of market demand that occurs in the USA, and specialized hybrids have not been developed for maximum yield under localized conditions. I suspect corn for humans in those countries is probably still pretty much like it was in the USA in the 40s and 50s, before the Americans started messing with it.
I worked with a doctor from Romania who loved American groceries stores and the couldn't believe the variety when he immigrated here. He was amazed that coupons could be clipped from newspaper/flyers to save on food. He was horrified that we ate corn of any kind though, as corn was food for pigs only in Romania according to him. I don't know if this was a class thing or not.

I don't eat corn on the cob anymore since for me it's really just a medium to get the the salt, pepper and butter I love. Our family put black pepper along with salt with corn on the cob, but DH's family never used pepper, only salt.

We visited my grandparents in southern Indiana every year. Every year the corn had to be knee high or better by the 4th of July or it wasn't a good year.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,437,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I worked with a doctor from Romania who loved American groceries stores and the couldn't believe the variety when he immigrated here. He was amazed that coupons could be clipped from newspaper/flyers to save on food. He was horrified that we ate corn of any kind though, as corn was food for pigs only in Romania according to him. I don't know if this was a class thing or not.

I don't eat corn on the cob anymore since for me it's really just a medium to get the the salt, pepper and butter I love. Our family put black pepper along with salt with corn on the cob, but DH's family never used pepper, only salt.

We visited my grandparents in southern Indiana every year. Every year the corn had to be knee high or better by the 4th of July or it wasn't a good year.
Yes! From another native Hoosier (the state, NOT the college), I remember well the knee high by the 4th of July. I also had no idea that corn on the cob could be white, not yellow, until I moved to the east coast.

Interesting comment about the doctor from Romania because when I saw this thread I was going to write about my friend from Germany who was an exchange student with me in high school in Indiana. One of her stories about first arriving in rural Indiana was being served corn on the cob. She was shocked as that was only given to the pigs in Germany. Needless to say she learned a lot while here and we are still close friends 40+ years later.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
I get my corn on the cob off the back of trucks when in season.
Out of season I eat it from the can.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,612,883 times
We grow it. We have some that'll possibly be ready in a couple of weeks. It's the light-colored sweetish kind, though.

We also soak it and then roast it. Dressed with butter and black pepper (we both avoid salt). Yum!!!

Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 PM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times
I may be in the minority, but rarely eat corn. Too much sugar. Corn is a high carb food with little nutrition. I eat treats on occasion. Corn is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement