Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,619,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is the Retirement forum. Did you mean to post this in the Relationships forum? Certainly that would have been more appropriate.
It seems quite appropriate for a retirement/aging/senior forum and this one deals with all of those issues. How many married retirees have suddenly discovered new pressures on their marriages when, after years of working separately, they find themselves thrust together hour-after-hour, day-after-day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Stringing your husband along for 40 years and then dumping him when you found something better is nothing to be proud of.
Let me guess. You were there during every one of those 40 years and are fully aware of all the dynamics of that relationship, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,981,806 times
I wonder? Lets say we change the sexes, and a man posts this, who dumped his wife after 40 years and left her alone, while he runs off with a new love, say 10 or 15 years younger. I wonder if those of you who think this is so great and brave of the OP, would say the same if the OP was a man.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 PM

526 posts, read 902,410 times
I think it wonderful u found love.

If my DH of 40 years really, truly, honestly fell in love with someone I would let him go (I would be hurt). There is no way we will have that love again, but I sure wouldn't deny him

Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I wonder? Lets say we change the sexes, and a man posts this, who dumped his wife after 40 years and left her alone, while he runs off with a new love, say 10 or 15 years younger. I wonder if those of you who think this is so great and brave of the OP, would say the same if the OP was a man.
Either way, I see nothing great about this.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,583,660 times
Your husband has remarried too so it sounds like all's well that end's well. That's good.

Still when I read this, my gut reaction is that it's a sad story because you both seemed to have wasted so many years.

If there's a lesson to be learned from your story, I'm not sure what it is other than staying married to someone who doesn't love you or you don't love, even though you're friends who get along and share similar interests is .... a waste of time? Or you should never have gotten together in the first place? Help me out here.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:41 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,893,430 times
I guess you stayed married forty years because of the kids? I'm all for starting a new life when you're older; it's not too late to find happiness. But the way you say he was a good provider makes it sound as if you stayed for the money he earned. But I am probably being judgmental and you earned a good living and didn't just sponge off him.

Anyway, I'm glad he found someone too. It would have been sad to see him alone at this stage of the game.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,326,518 times
The way the tale reads to me is that just because you've gotten to a certain age doesn't mean you have to stay in a 'comfortable' situation for the rest of your life because the time for love and romance has gone by.
I appreciate that it's even more difficult when the spouse is a nice/good person and understand that, while leaving may hurt him/her, staying is also depriving him the chance to find someone that really cares.

The only disagreement I have with some other opinions is that I wouldn't call it especially gutsy or brave unless this had been done with no new love interest in the picture but with only the idea of fairness as the motivator.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:54 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,181,352 times
I think it's wonderful that you are happy. And yup, anyone of any age deserves to be. No point in staying in a dead marriage.

But----I don't understand how it is possible to find someone else while still being married. To me, it is better and more ethical to end the marriage that is no longer working and then find someone else, not find someone else while married and then get a divorce. It may work to do this for a job (find a new one while currently employed), but not so well when dealing with people and very deep emotions. Your ex may have been less hurt if you had just wanted out, not out because you found someone else.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 AM

11,183 posts, read 16,100,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Having the courage and gumption to change partners late in life is indeed interesting and relevant, that romantic/sexual aspects do not die with age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
UKgirl: You are very gutsy and took a huge risk and I was happy to read your post and learn that it all worked out for all of you.
So having an affair while married and then eventually asking your spouse for a divorce so you can be free to marry the other woman you've been slinking around town with is gutsy and courageous?

Oh wait...it wasn't a man leaving his wife for the other woman, it was a wife leaving her husband for another man so of course it's wonderful that she found true love.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:08 AM

11,183 posts, read 16,100,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I guess you stayed married forty years because of the kids? I'm all for starting a new life when you're older; it's not too late to find happiness. But the way you say he was a good provider makes it sound as if you stayed for the money he earned. But I am probably being judgmental and you earned a good living and didn't just sponge off him.
Interesting that you picked up on that. Especially in light of her post on this forum last year shortly after she left her husband. Was she all starry eyed about the new love of her life? Was she concerned about the man whose life she had just shredded after 40 years? No, her main concern was that now that she had made this decision, she was going to have to wait before she could file for spousal Social Security benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
I am disconcerted to read that I need to wait 2 years after divorce to file for spousal benefit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement