Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,594,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My favorite one is about my Windows computer.

The last time "John" (very heavy Indian accent) called I asked him to hold a moment.

He then asked for me and I said that Mr. ___________ was unable to come to the phone as he was surrounded by crime scene tape. I then asked "John" what his relationship to ____________ was and that I would like to talk to him face to face.

There was no response and dead air.

I love that one. The Guy said he was from "Microsoft" and I had viruses on my Computer and he wanted access to fix it. Heavy Indian accent, like you said. I had him on the phone for almost 2 hours, while he was thinking I was doing what he told me to do, but I was not doing anything. He would tell me to go here, and then there, and do this and that, and I would repeat to him what he said, and was telling him what I was seeing, ( I am very computer literate) and then at the last moment, I would mess up his instruction, and make a change in what he said, and he would say "No, No, not that, and we would start all over again. After a half dozen times, he would ask if I saw this on my screen now, and I would say "No" and tell him the screen turned into a "Blue" empty screen, and we would start over again. Next time I would tell him all I saw was a screen that said "Installing Updates" and we would wait, and start over again. He kept getting angrier and frustrated and finally hung up on me.

I also made him talk slow, saying I could not understand him, and had him repeat everything. To tell you the truth, I enjoyed messing with him, like dangling a carrot in front of a jackass. Nothing wrong with having some fun with these guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 PM

775 posts, read 781,610 times
Why is this thread on a retirement forum? Do they only call retirees?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,332,487 times
regarding the microsoft idiots...the last time I got one of those calls there was obviously bull pen noise going on. lots of background voices. I said " Before we go any further let me ask you a question. Do you people really think Americans are so stupid we haven't caught on to this crap? Don't you think we are sick and tired of these calls? We now think Indians and Pakistanis are really stupid for calling us over and over again and getting the phone slammed in your faces. Then I slammed the phone in his face.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Why is this thread on a retirement forum? Do they only call retirees?
Of course not but retirees are the ones most likely isolated and not familiar with these scams. They tend to be trusting, bored and gullible.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:40 AM

45,701 posts, read 61,102,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Of course not but retirees are the ones most likely isolated and not familiar with these scams. They tend to be trusting, bored and gullible.

Or at home to answer the phone.

My mother fell for one for "free" jewelry. She let it go because she was embarrassed about it. By the time I, rather Mrs. NBP, got it straightened out mom was out about $300.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,103,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number.
This! Why allow yourself to get stressed out when we are the ones who control when we answer the phone. My phone is also set to immediately block any calls that do not reveal a phone number on the Caller ID display.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 AM

yesterday I had two scam calls. Then I got a call which only showed a number I did not recognize. I was rather curt and rude when I answered it cause I was loaded for bear. it was my new doctor calling himself about a rx question I had. I was embarrassed and confused. Why wouldn't his name or practice show up?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:13 AM

10,068 posts, read 18,189,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
When I have some free time and I get one of these.
I listen, listen, listen
I ask questions, listen
Ask who to make the check out to
Ask for advantages of their product/service.

then excuse myself, "I will be right back"
and leave phone off hook and watch TV

They eventually hang up.
Keep one guy on the line for 25 min, then said "Sorry, I have another call" and hung up.

If you make them waste their time, they will stop wasting yours.
Um, I don't WANT to waste 25 minutes of my time with them.

Like many who have posted, I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize -- my voicemail message actually SAYS that (it also says I don't answer calls from blocked numbers), and tells them to leave a message so I can call them back (if they don't, they will simply never get me).

I have also made the default ringtone on my cell phone SILENT, so I never even hear the scam calls. Friends and family members have their own ringtones, so THEIR calls get through, but I never have to hear a call from a telemarketer or other scammer.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:04 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,532,075 times
I do not have a landline. I do not have a smartphone.

I have a simple, humble flip phone. But it's cheap to keep, so I like it. Imagine my surprise when I began to get 30-40 spam texts every day! Of course, I wasn't paying for them...flip phones require you to 'accept' the call before it's deducted from your minutes (or account, whatever). But it was annoying to have these 'beeps' every half minute or so, esp around the noon hour.

The caller had a number ID - 32665. My oldest grandson told me that was Facebook, but I don't have a FB account. He asked my permission to open one of the messages, so I said, "Sure". He then texted something back, and the messages stopped. What....? His text was "Off". That stopped it. Apparently, someone either deliberately or accidentally, put in my phone number to their FB account, and I had been getting text alerts from all their friends when they posted something.

If you can't figure it out, ask a 17-year-old to help you!

Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,080,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yesterday I had two scam calls. Then I got a call which only showed a number I did not recognize. I was rather curt and rude when I answered it cause I was loaded for bear. it was my new doctor calling himself about a rx question I had. I was embarrassed and confused. Why wouldn't his name or practice show up?
Many Doctors have a App on there phones that Spoof a different number, so they can call you from there private line,

They should put there office number in the Spoofing options, but many don't. That way they can call you from there Home or Cell, but you don't get there private number in your CallerID history, that you can call them back on there private/personal number.

Last edited by flyonpa; 06-13-2015 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement