Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:38 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,592,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post

Also I just want to add that you have no knowledge of the telemarketer's private life or personal struggles that forced them to accept working at such a horrible, thankless job. No point in treating them badly.

Oh, and I'm not in India, lol.....I'm in Canada
Nothing personal, but I really don't care about the Telemarketers life or his/her problems. No sympathy at all. Its my phone, my house, my life that they are intruding into without permission. It what I think that counts, not what they think or that its just their job. Telemarketers should be outlawed, and if caught, should spend a year in Jail plus a hefty fine, for them and those who hired them. If there was a device I could buy to blow up their phones as soon as they open their mouth, I would have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 05:43 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,858,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Nothing personal, but I really don't care about the Telemarketers life or his/her problems. No sympathy at all. Its my phone, my house, my life that they are intruding into without permission. It what I think that counts, not what they think or that its just their job. Telemarketers should be outlawed, and if caught, should spend a year in Jail plus a hefty fine, for them and those who hired them. If there was a device I could buy to blow up their phones as soon as they open their mouth, I would have one.
I wouldn't go that far but I sure lost my temper when I was health care proxy for my cousin. I waited anxiously for those phone calls from the medical people who were supposed to call me back and my heart was in my throat every time the phone rang. I did not need a telemarketer invading and tying up the phone at a time like that.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:00 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,827,366 times
We got tired of all the unsolicited calls, for marketers, and with an upcoming political season when the calls would come like crazy, so we made a big change in our land line.

We went to VOIP which is simply getting our phone calls through our Internet connection. We got NetTalk after checking everything out. You plug in short cord between your modem earthnet port, and the NetTalk box (small unit). Then plug the phone into the NetTalk box. Then plug in the power cord to the wall plug. It asks for your address for 911 calls in case of needing emergency help. It gives us unlimited long distance calls to Canada and U.S.A. Lots of other services the telephone company likes to charge for. We got a new number by choice. We are no longer in the phone book, or on lists the marketers buy to call you. They are not available for VOIP calls. Have not had a call from them in a year. Works perfect. Good sound. And the best part is it only costs $44.90 including all taxes each year, down from an average of 4 per day. Bought it at Walmart for $44, and then $4.95 in telephone taxes. From now on it is an annual fee of $39.95 plus $4.95 taxes paid once a year. Could have kept our old phone number, but that is what I wanted to get away from.

This is the future of the home phone for anyone with a high speed Internet connection. Bought one for a son in Oregon for christmas, and his works perfectly also. My phone bill is now less for a year, than it used to be for a month with the phone company where I had to pay long distance calls. Sometimes we talk for an hour or more to one of our kids long distance, for FREE. We don't eat up cell phone minutes this way and have a cheaper cell phone bill for enough minutes to get us by for a year. Saves a lot of money there also.

This is the best way I know to get rid of telephone salespeople, and politicians calling over the next year.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,591,264 times
Quote:
I worked as a telemarketer for a brief time many years ago when Do Not Call was first introduced.

I hated to use my scripted sales pitch on the elderly. I felt that many probably were low income, living off a small pension - but I had to do my job or be fired.

I think the problem is some people think that being rude and verbally abusive to the telemarketer, or slamming the phone down, or letting the unidentified call go to voicemail, or heaven forbid as another poster here pointed out - blowing a whistle (yikes ) is going to make the calls stop. That's not how it works.

When you receive a cold call like that you have to specifically say "Put me on the Do Not Call List". If you don't say that then the calls will continue.

Hey, I don't make the rules - I just had to follow them.

In relation to "scams" - all I can say is my sales stats were good because many people were very interested in the products and/or services I was offering. There was no "scam", I was representing a reputable company.

Also I just want to add that you have no knowledge of the telemarketer's private life or personal struggles that forced them to accept working at such a horrible, thankless job. No point in treating them badly.

I hear what you're saying, but like someone else has said - I could care less about the telemarketer trying to do his "job". I don't care about their personal life or struggles. We all have them - and many of us don't resort to harassment or scamming to pay our bills. If that's all you can come up with to make money - too bad.

It may have been different back then - but now the people are rude, pushy, can barely speak English, and try to be threatening. I already have my phones on the DO NOT CALL list - and I tell them so - and also I tell then to QUIT CALLING THIS NUMBER. I get rudeness, nasty comments, and more calls.

If you think blowing a whistle is out of line - too bad. If I had a cannon by the phone that I could discharge in their ears - I would certainly consider it. It is my home, and I do not want my line tied up with crap phone calls - sometimes I am expecting a legitimate call from someone I actually want or need to speak with.

Bottom line - if I need or want a product - I will call a legitimate company and negotiate their services. Unless and until that happens - leave me the hell alone! I promise you - I will hang up, or be just as rude to you telemarketers as you are to me. I am really tired of it - regardless of where they are calling from.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:28 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,623,137 times
Quote:
I worked as a telemarketer for a brief time many years ago when Do Not Call was first introduced.

I hated to use my scripted sales pitch on the elderly. I felt that many probably were low income, living off a small pension - but I had to do my job or be fired.

I think the problem is some people think that being rude and verbally abusive to the telemarketer, or slamming the phone down, or letting the unidentified call go to voicemail, or heaven forbid as another poster here pointed out - blowing a whistle (yikes ) is going to make the calls stop. That's not how it works.

When you receive a cold call like that you have to specifically say "Put me on the Do Not Call List". If you don't say that then the calls will continue.

In relation to "scams" - all I can say is my sales stats were good because many people were very interested in the products and/or services I was offering. There was no "scam", I was representing a reputable company.
Our definitions of "reputable" are different, then. Telemarketing is a disreputable practice. You actually allude to feeling guilty about it in the second sentence of your post.

Quote:
The argument you make could equally well be used to justify dope-dealing or prostitution.

Don in Austin

Quote:

Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My favorite one is about my Windows computer.

The last time "John" (very heavy Indian accent) called I asked him to hold a moment.

He then asked for me and I said that Mr. ___________ was unable to come to the phone as he was surrounded by crime scene tape. I then asked "John" what his relationship to ____________ was and that I would like to talk to him face to face.

There was no response and dead air.
I receive the same ones. I play along hitting the keys they instruct until they get to the point of asking what I see on the screen. I gasp and say "oh my" when they repeat what do you see? I reply, it looks like a photo of you having intercourse with a cow. I must say I'm impressed by indian's grasp of english curse words.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,280,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesAdventue View Post
I receive the same ones. I play along hitting the keys they instruct until they get to the point of asking what I see on the screen. I gasp and say "oh my" when they repeat what do you see? I reply, it looks like a photo of you having intercourse with a cow. I must say I'm impressed by indian's grasp of english curse words.
Funny!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:01 AM

10,065 posts, read 18,174,425 times
Quote:

Um, no, WRONG ... the whole POINT of the "do-not-call" list (at least in the USA) was that we WOULDN'T have to keep telling every single telemarketer who called us to put us on the do-not-call list. No, they were now legally obligated to CHECK the DO NOT CALL lists and abide by them by NOT calling anyone who was on it. (That goes for "legitimate" telemarketers, of course -- scammers are going to break the law no matter what, which is why the do-not-call lists simply don't work on them. But you said you were legit, right?)

I don't understand how somehow you didn't understand that? (It's possible that Canadian law is different, of course, but to tell us that you were a telemarketer when the do-not-call list was introduced, but you STILL called people, well, that tells us what we need to know about you and your crappy job, doesn't it? And if you want to say "No, no, you misunderstood, we WERE legit, we only called people who were NOT on the list" -- well, you didn't understand the point of this thread, then, which is that we STILL get called even when we are ON the list.)

Whistles, cannons, whatever -- I am fine with all of them. Then again, I simply never answer unless I know who's calling and I want to talk with them.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:42 PM

4,799 posts, read 10,660,343 times
When I am bored on occasion, I call back the litany of phone numbers that my landline phone lists, from the dozens of bs calls we get per week...

Many of those 'numbers', AC & number, produce the message, "this number is no longer in service/disconnected", so obviously they are lifted/stolen numbers, and many of the calls coming in have names of companies that many of us would recognize/might respond to. All phony.

Hellsbells, I get my 'own name & number' about a half dozen times per week.

The number of calls has increased dramatically this year, imo, and this Mtn home land line, (AT&T), is turned off/put on seasonal for 5+ months per year, yet the calls come in about a day after reviving our landline number. Hmmm...

NEway, they are increasing, they are very annoying, there is obviously no way for any agency to catch or stop them, and the Do Not Call List is like most gov't crap, an ineffective feel good, pos, imo.
GL, mD

Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 PM

5,010 posts, read 603,441 times
All is okay...I expected to be bashed for my opinion

It seems things are different now then when I worked in a call center.

If today I received a call at home from a telemarketer who spoke broken English and was aggressive I would be annoyed too.

Just a note : It doesn't make sense to blow up at the telemarketer (low man/woman on the totem pole). Ask to speak to the manager for fast results.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement