Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 AM

45,756 posts, read 61,157,919 times

Advertisements

Political calls, charities and companies with which you do business are not covered by the Do Not Call list.

I would caution some of you who've gotten rid of your, or are thinking of doing so, landline. Cell towers get jammed and can overload. In a real emergency (flood, blizzard, earthquake, etc.) cell phones become almost useless because the towers go down. A landline usually stays operating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,173,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
When possible I interrupt the pitch to get right to the company's name. I make sure it repeat it and then let them know that I would never deal with a low life, scum bucket bunch of spammers. Usually that ends the call.
I'm sure that's effective in getting them not to call back.

The person on the phone, just doing a job to support their family, probably agrees with you. What, you think everyone making these calls is a stockholder in the company and is going to think about their company's actions and make changes? You're just another testy guy on the phone, in their day. It would have the same result and take up less of your time and energy to just say "No thanks, please take me off of your call list" and hang up.

(I have no idea if "please take me off of your call list" actually does anything. I'd heard that somewhere).

Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,874,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
My land line caller ID determines if I pick that up. Only family and a few coworkers have my cell number so if it rings I check it. Since being on a cell while driving is very dangerous I do get very nasty with those endangering me by calling with some sales pitch or request for donations.
Cell phones are dangerous when driving only if you answer them.

Why are you answering?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 PM

39 posts, read 30,107 times
There is a point that is missing. What the telemarketers are doing is removing you from the product pitch campaign list not the master list. So when you remove yourself from the list it just means you won't be contacted again for that particular product. However you will be on a new list for a different product. The government needs to make sure it is the master list that individual phone number or email is being removed from when someone request to be removed not from the individual product campaign list.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,087,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talentlost View Post
There is a point that is missing. What the telemarketers are doing is removing you from the product pitch campaign list not the master list. So when you remove yourself from the list it just means you won't be contacted again for that particular product. However you will be on a new list for a different product. The government needs to make sure it is the master list that individual phone number or email is being removed from when someone request to be removed not from the individual product campaign list.
Its Called the Do Not Call list. https://www.donotcall.gov/

But it next to imposition to enforce. Off-Shore they can't touch, US based phone number can be spoof'ed . To get the real number the FTC and Phone Company (often multiple ) to track down the actual phone set, that made the call to you.

I know my company get a daily feed from a service that gives us updates from the FTC DNC list. All outgoing call are made thru a system that checks it first. If the OutBound call center tries to call a number its blocked, so they can not make the call. If the customer "Requested" a call back all those request are stopped from the call center, and sent for supervisor approval & research before the call is made.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,456,153 times
Ive actually mastered the robotic voice and say "Good evening" then when they start talking I repeat "I am unable to process that command, please repeat" usually they just hang up but I had one guy try to "get through" by saying "zero" and "menu." I couldnt maintain composure and busted out laughing.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,456,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talentlost View Post
Yep. I usually make a point to "tricksy" salespeople that I now hate them and will refuse to buy their crap ever again. Some reason the adage "Theres no such thing as bad marketing" doesnt work on me I have a long list of companies I refuse to buy from....and Flo has put Progressive right on the top of that list.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,496,071 times
Some of these !$#!#@ falsely believe that if they can find your number via a Google search, then even if you are on the Do Not Call List, they are still allowed to call you.

I need to review the law, but I think that belief is a bald faced lie.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,109,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
"I would like to speak to your supervisor."

Click.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
LOL, that's funny....does that really happen?

Hard to believe because the agents are monitored so closely.
I've had AT&T hang up on me when I've asked to talk to a supervisor, so I wouldn't think a telemarketer would have a problem hanging up.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,496,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Lol, you made me smile. Reminds me of a call I got years ago. Can't remember now what company they said they were from, but they wanted me to upgrade & they needed my social security number. I told him to mail me the info & I would review it. He insisted it had to be done over the phone. I insisted I needed to review it. He finally hung up, exasperated that I wouldn't cooperate. I had a good time 'spoofing' him.
I would tell them:

666-12-4377
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement