Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You will have to ask the people who don't want to date the OP because he's liberal.
I don't think the OP is looking for a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Not where I live. I've got almost 300 Facebook friends, the bulk are friends, family and coworkers I talk to all the time. I know that about 4 of them are religious. The rest, I've got no clue. Religion and politics never comes up. But then again, I never bring it up either.
Most of America is just along for the ride. There was a time when more people cared about discussing where the country is headed and how it might be improved. So many have become disenchanted. Sad, really. Sometimes I am jealous though.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-14-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 10:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,994,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, I can't remember the last time I had a conversation with anyone (in person) about politics OR religion. It just doesn't concern me any more. I figure that there is just stupidity I can't control out there, so let it be. If they've lived this long with such idiotic views, they will likely make it to the finish line without me to correct them. Nobody bothers me to find out where I stand on such issues.

If you are posting on the retirement board, I assume you are retired or close to it. That is plenty old enough to have a near-lifetime of dealing with these issues, and the experience to handle it easily. If you do not, then you may wish to examine just who it is - you or the others - that causes this discord. I never feel that anyone is trying to find where I stand on the issues. And I don't try to hide anything. Could you be the one who initiates such discussions, in your zeal to find a kindred soul?
I find that if someone (like the friend I dropped) keeps spouting out religion and politics (these often go hand in hand), and I just remain silent or change the subject, that's their answer. That I don't subscribe. And then they drop you, or you drop them if they're so over the top with their envangelist (and I don't mean this as the Christian movement only, but of anything obsessive) harping that you just cannot tolerate it any longer.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,994,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I'm with you on this. The topic of politics and/ or religion does not come up in most face to face conversations.

I look for common ground, not differences.
Some fanatics don't bring it up as a topic intentionally; they just constantly say things about other people that you can't help but know where they stand. They don't want to know your opinion, it doesn't count. You're misinformed.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,772,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I dont know you, but I do know a lot of atheists. They are the only religion I know of(yes religion) that for the most part lets you know where they stand within about 1/2 hour after meeting them. ... .
Atheists hold NO religious beliefs regarding the incoherent 'god' concept, and is the result of a reasoned conclusion based on lack of any evidence supporting such a concept.

Calling Atheism a 'religion' is like calling 'OFF' a TV channel.

And I reveal my lack of religion whenever it is relevant to the occasion.
Sometimes soon, sometimes after years.

It has never interfered with me making, and keeping friends, as religious fervor in my neck of the woods is rarer than hen's teeth nowadays.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM

268 posts, read 290,911 times
I have exactly the same problem and I'm female. There are so many anomalies in my background and belief system, finding friends is very difficult indeed: vegan, animal rights, feminist, atheist, academic, TALL. I teach and have to hide my books: Russell, Dawkins, Harris. _Why I am Not a Christian_ doesn't go over too well in this ultraconservative community I live in.

I can't believe some posters are criticizing or blaming you. People are idiots. See: Bell Curve.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:01 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,013,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am retired, single, and don't live around any seniors right now but plan to move away next year. I have trouble finding girlfriends because I keep running into opinionated people. I try to be super non committal about religion and politics, but they sniff around to see where I stand and once they finally, finally find out (I'm an atheist/agnostic and a very liberal democrat), they drop me.

Part of this is due to the conservative town that I live in, I think, and I hope to remedy that but is there any way to tactfully avoid the subject of religion and politics indefinitely unless I can find someone who shares my opinions?

P.S. I've tried joining groups around these subjects and that hasn't worked where I live; one group is all male college students, and the other is tiny, full of busy women who don't have time for a single retired woman.

P.P.S. Is this an uncommon problem? I can't tell if it's mostly just the town I live in!
OP, I completely understand what you're saying. I think you'd do better by moving to a more urban area and actively seeking out like-minded people. I think you're much more likely to find them in larger population centers than in small towns.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,879,641 times
I am a Christian Conservative and I have a few Agnostic and even Atheist friends. Over the years I have had some very interesting conversations with these friends. Discussions about the very existence of God is a topic I have had with these friends many times and I don't recall even one time where it degenerated into a heated discussions. That is not always when the topic is about Abortion, Gun Control and Liberalism.

The way I see it is if you are an Agnostic or and Atheist the only person you are hurting with your point of view is yourself.
As a Man it can be argued that Abortion does not hurt me but I will argue otherwise: If I get a Woman pregnant and she aborts the baby without my consent I would be deeply offended.

I could care less if you make a personal decision to NOT own a gun however when you try to take my Second Amendment rights from me I will get very angry.

Liberalism and "Do Gooder" attitudes have given us things like Mandatory Seat Belts, Helmet Laws etc. Liberals that can't mind their own business and it really pi**Es me off.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:29 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,106,231 times
Gee I have the same problem as a conservative atheist vegetarian. And we atheists let you know we are such because within a half hour of meeting us, many people start that jesus stuff with us and what are we supposed to do? Smile and go along with it? No.... religion and politics need to stay at home.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:45 PM

322 posts, read 779,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Could you be the one who initiates such discussions, in your zeal to find a kindred soul?
No, I'm not the one. Apparently you have never met a married retired woman who watches Fox News all day long with her husband, or a couple who goes to a fundamental or pentecostal church every Sunday. The married ones aren't as invested in finding friends because they have their husband for companionship, so they are more into finding out where you stand, too. I need to move into a senior complex so I can meet single women! Also, one big mistake is sharing Facebook accounts after you make friends. Then you start receiving their political or religious postings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement